Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » About Linux distros and incompatibilty...
Re: Final release [message #17032 is a reply to message #17016] Fri, 25 July 2008 20:36 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
guido is currently offline  guido
Experienced Member
mdelfede wrote on Fri, 25 July 2008 00:14

What about wine ? Now it does work with many commercial apps, and many games, too. Maybe not perfect, but as user base increases, it'll be more and more good.
Up to now you can still run autocad, photoshop, dreamweaver, m$office, among others... I do use it with apps I need and I'm very happy with it.
Ah, with the Vista's miracle ( Smile ) sometimes now wine is more compatible than windows itself...

Max

Wine can serve as band-aid for transitioning, not acceptable for sustained use. If you need to run above apps for a living, and why else would you spend that much money, running them on Linux is not viable, long term. They'll never work flawlessly.
Wine could be usefull for quick ports through libwine, treating it just like any other toolkit (like running Gimp on Windows). But I don't see that happening anywhere. Not even Google bothers with Picasa - they simply ship the whole wine runtime.

PS:
I just discovered, businesses are required by German law to file income tax online, and with a piece of Windows only software. They hint to Wine for Linux users. No mention of Mac...

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: UPP SW deployment
Next Topic: Win32 UPP console application profiling? Some free easy to use tools, anyone?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 06:24:50 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01082 seconds