Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » About Linux distros and incompatibilty...
Re: Final release [message #17050 is a reply to message #17032] Sat, 26 July 2008 19:05 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
mdelfede is currently offline  mdelfede
Ultimate Contributor
guido wrote on Fri, 25 July 2008 20:36

Wine can serve as band-aid for transitioning, not acceptable for sustained use. If you need to run above apps for a living, and why else would you spend that much money, running them on Linux is not viable, long term. They'll never work flawlessly.

Wrong, I do use 3 apps on wine and they work quite well.
One is perfect (calculation program), autocad is 95% perfect (just very slow TT fonts painting, made a workaround) and Excel (95% perfect too, it just don't allow to open 2 instances of it, but you can open as many files in one of them).

It was not easy, thougt, to have the 3 apps running ok, but now they do and I dropped completely my vmware machine I used for them. They're even faster than in windows.

You did maybe checked wine some time ago... latest progresses are impressive.
Ah, when I say "I do use 3 apps on wine" I mean for my daily work... I've tested many more of them. These 3 are the ones I use 10 ours a day Smile

Quote:

Wine could be usefull for quick ports through libwine, treating it just like any other toolkit (like running Gimp on Windows). But I don't see that happening anywhere. Not even Google bothers with Picasa - they simply ship the whole wine runtime.

I tried 2 apps ported with winelib... didn't like them too much. No great difference as having them running on wine. And, If they don't, there a great possibility that they don't run recompiled on winelibs too.

Quote:

PS:
I just discovered, businesses are required by German law to file income tax online, and with a piece of Windows only software. They hint to Wine for Linux users. No mention of Mac...

Well... same history here, in Italy. Official apps are just wine-only, and you MUST have them to file stuffs to public offices. M$ did a great job ""helping"" politics, I guess....

Max

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: UPP SW deployment
Next Topic: Win32 UPP console application profiling? Some free easy to use tools, anyone?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 19:16:51 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01776 seconds