Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: Installation, Compiling and Running of theide » Theide is linked with unnecessary libs on linux
Theide is linked with unnecessary libs on linux [message #26126] Fri, 02 April 2010 18:22 Go to previous message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

Hi,

I discovered interesting thing today, concerning library dependencies on linux. Theide is linked with 26 libraries (with GUI,MT flags):
 atk-1.0, cairo, dl, fontconfig, freetype, gdk-x11-2.0,
gdk_pixbuf-2.0, glib-2.0, gmodule-2.0, gobject-2.0, gtk-x11-2.0,
m, pango-1.0, pangocairo-1.0, png, pthread, X11, Xcursor, Xext,
Xfixes, Xft, Xi, Xinerama, Xrandr, Xrender and z
Now the interesting part: 13 (yes, that is 50%) out of them is not used at all! They are:
atk-1.0, cairo, dl, glib-2.0, gmodule-2.0, pango-1.0,
pangocairo-1.0, Xcursor, Xext, Xfixes, Xi, Xinerama and Xrandr

I found that (again Smile ) while building debian packages, if you are interested in details, see this buildlog (it is rather long, search for dpkg-shlibdeps). Being a bit suspicious about debian automated tools, I checked on my machine using export makefile, with above listed libraries removed from linking step. The resulting binary was working flawlessly as far as I can tell, so the libs are probably really not needed.

My guess is that the dependencies were added a long time ago, before restructuring Draw and other great improvements in the history of U++, but the dependency rules were never updated.Having as few dependencies as possible is one of the U++ goals... So this might be called a bug.

Best regards,
Honza

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: [MINGW] WIN32 compile errors
Next Topic: Windows setup appends files
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 21:15:09 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01687 seconds