Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » Help me buy a notebook!
Re: Help me buy a notebook! [message #37942 is a reply to message #37938] Sat, 24 November 2012 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

mirek wrote on Sat, 24 November 2012 11:33

Novo wrote on Fri, 23 November 2012 22:17

It depends on the amount of money you want to spend. U++ and TheIDE will work fine even on very old laptops Smile

I have to disagree a bit here. Surely U++ is fine on about anything you can buy today, but to do real development, you need raw CPU power for large recompiles.

I agree with Novo Smile The most important for me is how the computer "fits me", I spend great amount of time with it, so I prefer the comfortable usage before power.

Two years ago, when I was buying my current computer, I decided that I've had enough of carrying a big heavy laptop everywhere and I bought 11" netbook with Intel Atom cpu and only 1GB of RAM, but it is light and has great battery time. I still use it for my everyday coding and even occasionally for work (when I'm working from home and I'm lazy to bring the big company laptop Smile ).

At work I work on some dell with i7 and 8GB RAM and I honestly don't know what to do with all that power... The only reasonable usage I found for it was to create a tmpfs (ramdisk), put all U++ sources and build U++ debs completely in RAM Smile

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message