FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » menace WS.Reputation.1 from symantec/norton
menace WS.Reputation.1 from symantec/norton [message #38906] Sun, 27 January 2013 02:20 Go to previous message
navi is currently offline  navi
Experienced Member
Many of you might be aware of this issue since 2010 but I just came across this problem now. symantec/norton AntiVirus/Internet Security products has turned into an absolute menace. Basically any programed compiled in executable binary (exe) without a Valid Certificate or an entry in symantec whitelist gets deleted as soon as downloaded into client machine with the this message. Just google "WS.Reputation.1" and see how many independent software developers getting harassed due to this. Hate to say but I myself just became a victim when I am having to explain to my clients and user why my application is being convicted and deleted immediately on download due to "WS.Reputation.1". Apparently now we developers have to raise a dispute application with symantec for every app that it happens to! Or have to raise a whitelist application with symantec before releasing the app. Not to mansion the nightmare for the nightly builds. apprently even the big names like Mozilla org was not spared. So far doesn't look like there is any solution to this problem other then getting a Certificate or getting apps white listed with norton. Anyone knows any other solution or ways to avoid this issue?

The symantec dispute form list the follwing as culprit:
Norton Internet Security or Norton AntiVirus (later than 2012)
Norton Internet Security 2012 or Norton AntiVirus 2012
Norton Internet Security 2011 or Norton AntiVirus 2011
Norton 360 (later than 6.0)
Norton 360 v6.0
Norton 360 v5.0

index.php?t=getfile&id=4037&private=0

• Attachment: original.JPG
    (Size: 55.78KB, Downloaded 990 times)

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: webcam and motion detection
Next Topic: Canonical search application developer for standard application! (for ubuntu-phone)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 21:41:22 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03876 seconds