FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » Releasing U++ » Open Build Service
Open Build Service [message #39190] Mon, 25 February 2013 18:11 Go to previous message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

Hi everyone Smile

Over the weekend, I was playing with openSUSE's open build service. It is a public instance of the Open Build Service (OBS) used mainly for development of the openSUSE distribution but can be also used to offer packages from same source for Fedora, Debian, Ubuntu, Arch Linux and other distributions. I just tried to quickly build the Ubuntu and Archlinux packages using OBS and it turns out it is quite simple and straightforward. It has a nice command line client as well as web interface.

Now, after these initial experiments, I'm really tempted to port all our packaging to OBS and I'm also quite sure that it is possible to accomplish in just a couple days. There is couple things that I consider good reasons to make a switch:

• All distros managed in one place, all rebuilds trigerred by single update
  • Builds binary packages for all supported distributions
  • Automatically creates and hosts repositories for the packages
  • Command line client allows easy scripting
  • OBS is opensource, so if openSUSE ever shuts their instance, we can just install it on our own machines and continue using it.

For those unfamiliar with current situation around packaging:
Ubuntu packages are built and hosted using Launchpad.
Debian packages are built on my notebook and then uploaded to ftp donated by orine.
Archlinux currently only has PKGBUILDS in AUR (arch user repository), no binary packages.
Fedora packages are built only for release versions, in past there have been also Mandriva and openSUSE rpms.

So, here finally comes why I write all this here... From what I've seen so far, the OBS looks just too perfect Smile I've noticed only couple minor problems, but nothing that could not be solved rather easily. So before I start diving deeper into this, my question is: Is there anyone familiar with OBS? I hope someone with more experiences about this could give me some more input... Also, I'm interested in the opinions of whose of you who are using rpm based distros (Mandriva,Fedora,openSUSE,...) and Archlinux: Would use the binary packages for release and/or nightly builds?

Best regards,
Honza

PS: Here is a list of all target distributions supported by OBS.

[Updated on: Mon, 25 February 2013 18:46]

Report message to a moderator

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message