FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » Releasing U++ » Open Build Service
Open Build Service - now with automatic installer script [message #39239 is a reply to message #39190] Sun, 03 March 2013 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

Well, I couldn't resist - managing packages in OBS is so simple that it only took me a day to get it all up and working Smile And most of this one day of work I spent trying to write a short, simple "installer script" that would set up the repositories and install packages on users machines. The original intention didn't work out very well - the script is not short at all, nor simple Very Happy But it works, at least on Arch, and Debian where I tested it (Ubuntu testers are welcome Wink ). The supported distributions are Arch Linux, Debian 6 (squeeze aka stable) and Ubuntu 11.04-12.10 (that is Natty, Oneiric, Precise and Quantal).

So if you want to try, the script is attached. You just need to download it and execute in shell, e.g.:
sh ~/Downloads/installer.sh

It will guide you through the process of adding the OBS repositories to your package manager, adding keys to verify the packages, then it will let you select which packages to install and finally launches TheIDE (if installed) to run the per user configuration dialog that appears on first launch. Let me know if you like it (or if you don't Wink ).

Now, why I did all this... The advantages of OBS were already mentioned. There are also some disadvantages,the biggest I see are:
  • Less supported versions (in Launchpad we build also for Ubuntu 10.04 and 10.11, Debian could be built for wheeze and sid as well).
  • Source repositories (deb-src) are not supported
I want to evaluate how it works, if it is possible and desirable to make a switch from the kludgy way it is currently done. So I consider this an open beta testing Smile I'll be glad for any feedback on this.

Best regards,
Honza
  • Attachment: installer.sh
    (Size: 10.81KB, Downloaded 372 times)

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message