Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » Which is the biggest drawback of U++ "unpopuliarity"?
Re: Which is the biggest drawback of U++ "unpopuliarity"? [message #16472 is a reply to message #307] Tue, 17 June 2008 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
royalstream is currently offline  royalstream
Hi, I'm mostly a newcomer. I say mostly because I used UPP a few years ago for some small utility apps I needed.

With that said, I really can say my eyes are fresh and I can give you my humble opinion on my second first impression with UPP Smile

First of all, I like TheIDE. Yes, its different. Yes, it looks different than Visual Studio or Eclipse. But it works and its fast and as long as I can plug-in different compilers I'm happy. My only suggestion: lets get some new icons Smile TheIDE deserves to look as good as it works.

I love the way the API avoids unnecessary heap/pointer use. This very well may be the strongest reason why I like UPP. The naming convention is also clear and modern looking.

Love the String class and the NTL is fine, even though the naming of the classes (Vector/Array/etc) doesn't suggest how or why they differ from each other.

As you can see, I'm relatively open minded to new ways of doing things. So far the only characteristic I haven't been able to "like" is the frequent use of macros, especially the APP_MAIN ones.

I'm sure the GUI_APP_MAIN macro is awkward enough to scare away some curious newbies. Keep in mind "GUI_APP_MAIN" is about one fifth of what they see when the look at your Hello World's source code.

Obviously removing it at this point is no easy task but it could remain supported for backwards compatibility while a new way is offered. I think even having to include certain header in your main code file (depending on the type of application) would look more acceptable to some people. But that's just an quick idea, maybe there are even better ways of doing it.

Just my two cents and I'm not here to criticize, I really like UPP and I'd say we really "clicked". My true wish is for it to become as widely adopted as possible.

Regards,

Steven

[Updated on: Tue, 17 June 2008 10:01]

Report message to a moderator

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Fantastic work!!
Next Topic: Which Upp version do you use?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 08:47:50 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01281 seconds