FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » MPL
Re: MPL [message #17465 is a reply to message #17461] Sat, 16 August 2008 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
cbpporter wrote on Fri, 15 August 2008 17:52

I wonder how MPL clauses apply if we keep Cairo sources intact, but change the build method to produce static linking?

Actually, if it is cairo, we will not leave sources intact in any case Smile

OTOH, I have not seen anything about static linking, just combined work. And in that case you are about to reveal the modified code of cairo only. Plus only WE need to do that, U++ user will get alread modified cairo, with sources available, so there is nothing he has to worry about.

At least, that is my understanding.

Quote:

Having self-contained executable is one of U++ advantages. If the license is acceptable and we can get static linking, and if the performance is good for basic operations we could replace the current platform dependent draw primitives with Cairo calls, with the added advantage of getting Mac drawing for free.

I do not think this is really possible. There still will have to be platform dependent draw for performance reasons.

Cairo, AFAIK, is basically a software renderer. Which, BTW, is exactly what Vista or Mac OS X do. OTOH, the most basic rendering operations ("DrawRect, DrawText, DrawImage") tend to be very well accelerated by HW, at least in Linux.

Quote:

This could make Mac port easier, but we still need Objective C for windowing.

Yeah, that sucks, does not it? Smile

Mirek

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message