Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: Other Features Wishlist and/or Bugs » Very first impressions and.... [FEATURE REQUESTS]
Re: Very first impressions and.... [FEATURE REQUESTS] [message #11425 is a reply to message #11416] Wed, 12 September 2007 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
mdelfede is currently offline  mdelfede
Ultimate Contributor
unodgs wrote on Wed, 12 September 2007 09:07

Because of a degree of control Smile I know scintilla is a very advanced editor control, but it's easier to extend something that was built by us....
....Commenting of blocks of code is available now. Just select block of code and press / or shift-8 or ctrl-/. Key / works if editor enclose selection is set.

Thanx for the comment hint ! Razz
About scintilla, it is quite customizable.... I don't know if it fits well in theide, but I've seen scintilla inside so many ide/editors/tools that it should not be a problem. If I remember well they've separated the low level interface from the rest, so to put inside theide should not be too difficult. I really like theide editor, but imho makes few sense to duplicate all scintilla functions, it's a lot of work !

Quote:

Frankly you don't need save button as theide saves the file each time you switch to another one or when you compile or close theide.

hmmmmm.... besides of users comfort of having a 'save' button (I really feel bad if I don't save my work every 20 seconds, if you work with autocad on windows you understand what I mean !), the autosave feature is good up to an ide crash... working on svn version is not as rare as it may seem!
Quote:

You mean each widget should have icon on toolbar? I vote for it, but only for the most common ones.

I was thinking at a tabbed control, like borland ones, for example. You could have the most common controls in first tab and access to other ones with no effort, without clobbering the interface (I guess is this one your problem)
Quote:

Anchor system is ok as it is now IMO.

that is of course a matter of taste. I used working on borland tools and I felt confortable to have all widget properties on the same place, but this can be different for you.

Quote:

Absolutly, it was discussed before and it will show up soon or later.

perfect, I can't wait for it ! Smile btw, here I have a suggestion that comes from autocad... it would be nice to have the ability o customization on the fly of toolbars, for example, right clicking a toolbar should allow user to add/remove buttons that can send, maybe, a string or a code to the application. That would allow customization whithout the hassle of dealing with callbacks on the fly.

Quote:

Actually, help show documentation of packages, which is part of packages. Just click those .tpp things in e.g. CtrlLib.

I missed this feature, I'll try it. But what I meant is the ability to insert external html help files on help menu. Maybe with indexing and word search. You could for example add boost or opengl help on the ide. I know that you can open the help out of the ide, but an integration is far more confortable. Codeblocks did it with their help plugin and it's really a nice thing.

Quote:

Well, but pressing '.' is a change, is not it? Smile The thing is, is this is about to be useful, you really need to reparse the file up to the point you want the information.

Yes, the '.' does already a great job Razz And I like the fact that the parameter name and type are copied on the editor, unlike many other ides that give you a popup hint that mostly disappears when you start typing ! What I meant, and I don't knoow if it's possible, is to feed the code to cpp and then to your parser, to solve macro problems. this could be done in background... the only problem that can arise is if cpp can deal with partial files. I'll make an example of what I mean :
1-you start typing your code, and your parser does his job as usual.
2-when you type a #define or a #include, all the stuff is fed to cpp and then to the parser, in background.
3-from then, if you type things again, your new code is append to cpp output (without a need of another cpp slow run...) and then fed to your parser.
4-when you do some other preprocessor stuffs, the process is repeated.
All that could be done in a background thread and you could switch to preprocessed stuff when is ready.

That should make a good compromise between speed and effectiveness.

Again, thanx for your great job !

Ciao

Max

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message