Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » U++ Core » Interesting struggle with "Moveable<T>" usage in GCC
Re: Interesting struggle with "Moveable<T>" usage in GCC [message #16943 is a reply to message #16855] Tue, 22 July 2008 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
mrjt is currently offline  mrjt
Contributor
The explanation for this is quite straightforward I think.

Structs with just public data members are essentially C aggregates, which can be initialised using the {,} style list.

As soon as you add anything that stops it being a 'pure' aggregate - such as a constructor, inheritance (even from an empty class as is the case with Moveable<T>) or virtual functions - the compiler starts treating the struct as a C++ class. As classes cannot be initialised like aggregates you get the error.

For example:
// This works with {,} initialisation
struct ST {
  Point Get() { return Point(x, y); }
  int x, y;
};

// These don't
struct BC { 	
};
struct ST : BC {
  int x, y;
};

struct ST {
  ST() : x(0), y(0) { }
  int x, y;
};

struct ST {
  virtual Point Get() { return Point(x, y); }
  int x, y;
};
As far as I can tell this is correct compiler behaviour, although it would be nice if it was a bit more forgiving.

I'm not sure about your problem with NTL_MOVEABLE though, I just tried it with MingW and MSC8 and had no problem with missing DeepCopyConstructs, but presumably you're using a more complex structure than my test.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Using Vector::At doesn't initialize implicit types
Next Topic: DEFAULT_MAX_CONTENT_SIZE or max_content_size
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jun 11 22:16:13 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02421 seconds