FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » U++ Developers corner » U++ talk
Re: Does the provided upp.spec works for you and on which distro? [message #17877 is a reply to message #17875] Mon, 01 September 2008 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
cbpporter is currently online  cbpporter
Ultimate Contributor
amrein wrote on Mon, 01 September 2008 15:43

It would be so cool to have libupp.so.x.y.z and a clean version number before releasing anything into popular Linux distro. It's not a simple work (need to modify TheIDE, ...).
U++ is a monolith. It's so far from "re-use my lib" policy of all other FOSS software and libraries... The "build all from source" is very interesting for proprietary companies (and for debugging too) but for FOSS... it's another universe. How can I port the entire Gnome 2.x interface to upp if I don't have a lib to do a thin gnome 3.0 for example?
(Yes, Gnome, because those guys are still using C. They don't have a powerful and thin C++ library to replace GTK+. KDE use Qt.)

I wouldn't call it a monolith, since it is very modular. And this is the problem: how to build a single lib? Some apps need just some packages, and the most natural would be to have a so for every package. But that's quite some work and not very convenient.

Also, as Mirek said, we do not have a x.y.x versioning system. Our versioning system boils down practically to "year" (not counting dev releases). And I don't think we have the man power to do such versioning, especially that we have to increment a given number anytime we break link compatibility, which is very easy in C++. I honestly don't know what the solution for this problem is, except to link statically.
Or maybe we consider x 2008, and y 1 Smile.

And I don't understand the part about Gnome? Who wants to port Gnome? And they do have GtkMM, but with all the gobject crap that's in the background, I wouldn't call it thin.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Assist - rescan code vs caching in files....
Next Topic: Upp Idea -> MultiTouch support
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jun 12 16:56:23 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02240 seconds