FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » U++ Developers corner » U++ talk
Re: Does the provided upp.spec works for you and on which distro? [message #17896 is a reply to message #17895] Tue, 02 September 2008 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
amrein wrote on Tue, 02 September 2008 06:45

luzr wrote on Tue, 02 September 2008 10:06

In fact, it is considered that we perhaps might create a "runtime environment" for U++, to make it behave even more like scripting language. It would just use GCC in the process Smile

Mirek

Binding for Python, Perl, Rubby, Tcl, Gambas (http://gambas.sourceforge.net/), Java... Could be done in hours if we had a dynamic library.
It should be possible to create a new package like "libupp" statically linking with all upp, and the output should be a dynamic library libupp.so.0.8.1 instead of an application.

Creating .so is the least problem.

The major problem is HOW MANY.

Surely, you can mix the whole uppsrc into single .so. But in that process, you will have a lot of external dependencies for everybody - and not everybody is using e.g. PGSQL.

BTW, thinking about other language bindings, if we forget for the moment a strong coupling of U++ with C++ (I am not sure how much will be left in other language), maybe the correct solution would be to create thin "fixed API" layer over U++.

Such API would change infrequently, exactly as "FOSS traditional versioning scheme" requires, and linked with UPP using it as "engine code". In that case, you would get exactly what you need.

Quote:

Since the beginning, I talked about website, doc, dynamic linking, version number, directories clean up, file names policy, class names policy, ...

Talk is cheap...

Quote:

What amaze me the most now: I'm trying to answer my question, but nobody, except me, see my solutions as interesting suggestions.

I definitely see the list as interesting, if nothing else, it helps me to see us from another perspective. In fact, I think it has helped a lot.

But, as newcomer, you cannot expect everything you suggest to be accepted immediately and also if anything IS accepted (like BSD license), to happen in days.

Quote:

Website left menu: Generated from Topic++. Modifications should go there first.

Doc with title and plan: Get it and improve it, if the result is cool, we will use it.

Will you do it?

Frankly, I would like to have better website, but our resources are limited right now...

Quote:

I have no more ideas. I won't be able to help as I thought I could. At least, I can help for the rpm build process.

Thanks for that!

Mirek

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Assist - rescan code vs caching in files....
Next Topic: Upp Idea -> MultiTouch support
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jun 12 18:35:33 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02771 seconds