Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » U++ Libraries and TheIDE: i18n, Unicode and Internationalization » Basic character set analyzer
Re: Basic character set analyzer [message #19580 is a reply to message #19572] Thu, 18 December 2008 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
cbpporter wrote on Wed, 17 December 2008 11:18

I found the code responsible for composition, and it seems only code points 0x0100 to 0x017F are subject to U++ composition.

Yep, with the goal of covering most of europe Smile It definitely covers czech language and it is in fact very nice to be able to use all fonts for czech Smile

I am tuned for the next results. Knowing how all these things really work would be invaluable.

In the same time, I think it is reasonable to expect that very soon we will have to go down one level and use FontConfig and FreeType directly (not Xft). The pressure is coming from software rendering development. We want U++ that is able to Draw without X11....

I also noticed that using a lot of fonts slows down rendering to a crawl. I'll have to look over the code to see if some caching can be done or some bottleneck avoided, but basically this means that we must keep the substitution pool as small as possible.

This is quite logical, is not it? I believe it is not even U++ problem. Xft has to cache thing too.

Quote:

PS: How was the current composition behavior established? How did you determine that you need to draw the little line at an offset of font.GetHeight() / 13 for example. Did you find some reference material, or was it experimental and you went with what looked good.

Experimental.

Have taken the default sans-serif font in Linux and tweaked until looked acceptable. It is heurestics heavy Smile

Mirek

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message