Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Newbie corner » Ultimate++ vs Wxwidgets for desktop linux/windows/mac app (gui)
Re: Ultimate++ vs Wxwidgets for desktop linux/windows/mac app [message #57292 is a reply to message #57291] Fri, 25 June 2021 17:19 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
germandiago is currently offline  germandiago
Promising Member
Good to know.

But I guess that in order to draw in Linux/Windows/Mac it will need additional dependencies to link against (OpenGL/Cocoa/Whatever).

So you are basically suggesting that it is maybe better to write the build files directly in another build system? It is a possibility if that is not difficult.

1. do a port to Meson.
2. compile and create a conan recipe from the new Meson build system.

What I wonder is that if U++ developers (I assume you are one of them) keep using the assemblies/packages/nests, etc. the "U++ way", Meson build system would get out of sync.

This would create maintainance burden, that is why I was thinking of using what is updated by developers directly.

Another possibility is adopt a more mainstream build system (CMake/Meson come to my mind, I have a strong preference for Meson) and provide Conan packages to consume by any other build system. But this, as far as I understand, makes TheIDE packaging system "obsolete" in the sense that TheIDE consumes, as of today, the packages in the format expected by TheIDE, so if some package is added, what happens to that from the point of view of availability for consumers from CMake/Meson/MsBuild/Autotools/Whatever?

FWIW my own personal use would be to use a mainstream IDE (CLion) or Emacs, a more mainstream build system and the layout designer from TheIDE.

What do you think?

[Updated on: Fri, 25 June 2021 17:22]

Report message to a moderator

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message