Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » U++ community news and announcements » U++ 2023.2 "pre-alpha"
Re: U++ 2023.2 "pre-alpha" [message #60123 is a reply to message #60121] Fri, 08 September 2023 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
luoganda wrote on Thu, 07 September 2023 22:42
...this is somehow an extension to this post.

Quote:
- New C++ sources indexer mode - previoualy, after each file change, all depended files were reindexed. That often resulted in very heavy CPU load after each header change. In the new mode, only the changed file is being reindexed - while less accurate, real problems in this new mode are actually rare and it makes for much more responsive experience using theide.

I think i see your point here, altough the thing is far from perfect(checked both included clang on w7 and msbt17 and no go).
But i think you forgot to see both point of view:
* from developing upp point of view it's probably better(since new mode recompiles "needed" - mostly developing "system" header sources faster),
* from consumer point of view(just using the ide out of the box for a quick project) - original is magic - it works!

Now I am not sure whether whether you are speaking about pre-libclang homegrown parser or about difference between 2023.1 and 2023.2. If about later, I can tell you that from consumer point of view, "precise behaviour" was problematic - any change to deep header in large project choked CPU for minute. Pretty bad if you edit header and source simultanously.

Quote:

With this i incline that original and new modes of indexer should be selectable in Settings,

If you are speaking about new indexer mode introduced since 2023.1, the yes, it is selectable.

Quote:

original mode is a must for people who want: "do it's thing at opening project and then just use it",

But it does not seem so... Maintaining both old heuristic home-brew parser and libclang is far beyond our resources, sorry. libclang provides some new features that I find quite essential (as in "how could I live without Usage for so long"), so there is no way back.

I am more interested with users that have 12+ core CPUs and 32+GB of RAM (e.g. "me")...

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message icon14.gif
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message