Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » Releasing U++ » U++ as .lib
U++ as .lib [message #11648] Thu, 20 September 2007 15:07 Go to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
I would like to discuss all options and problem for releasing U++ as .lib.

My take (Sergei will disagree, but that is what discussion is for:):

Release simple .lib files for MSVC and MINGW (later perhaps package them for Dev-C++ and CodeBlocks).

Release files are just that - release files.

Debug files would be without debug info with assert or perhaps with lines info only to reduce the size.

It would have to come with at least part of sources too.

I will add "file edit mode" to theide so that users of other environments have a chance to edit .iml / .lay and perhaps even .tpp.

I would use theide and some custom program to build libs... Actually, I think I can extend our current release code ("MakeInstall") to generate all .libs for Win32 as part of standard release process...

(OK, the only funny part about all this is that .lib package will be longer Smile

Hm, an idea: As it seems logical to ship theide with it anyway (as .lay and .iml editor), may the libraries could be built after the installation using theide?

Mirek
Re: U++ as .lib [message #11651 is a reply to message #11648] Thu, 20 September 2007 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sergei is currently offline  sergei
luzr wrote on Thu, 20 September 2007 15:07

I would like to discuss all options and problem for releasing U++ as .lib.

My take (Sergei will disagree, but that is what discussion is for:):

Release simple .lib files for MSVC and MINGW (later perhaps package them for Dev-C++ and CodeBlocks).

Release files are just that - release files.

Debug files would be without debug info with assert or perhaps with lines info only to reduce the size.

It would have to come with at least part of sources too.

I will add "file edit mode" to theide so that users of other environments have a chance to edit .iml / .lay and perhaps even .tpp.

I would use theide and some custom program to build libs... Actually, I think I can extend our current release code ("MakeInstall") to generate all .libs for Win32 as part of standard release process...

(OK, the only funny part about all this is that .lib package will be longer Smile

Hm, an idea: As it seems logical to ship theide with it anyway (as .lay and .iml editor), may the libraries could be built after the installation using theide?

Mirek

Actually, I mostly agree. Without a lib for release mode, penalty would be either huge build times (5-10 mins easily) or moderate EXE size increase (due to SCU). However, my idea was to provide an easy way for users to build the lib. That's a common way in open-source cross-platform projects, and it would remove the need to maintain up-to-date built libs for several compilers. There might be a compiler we're not aware of / don't support, and yet works with U++.

File edit mode would be great - just associate all these files with TheIDE.

IMHO debug libs aren't necessary - better to just use the sources (especially if you intend to make changes to U++). + what's the size of a debug lib, if release lib is 10MB? But that's just my opinion Cool
Re: U++ as .lib [message #11654 is a reply to message #11651] Thu, 20 September 2007 17:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
sergei wrote on Thu, 20 September 2007 09:28

However, my idea was to provide an easy way for users to build the lib. That's a common way in open-source cross-platform projects, and it would remove the need to maintain up-to-date built libs for several compilers.

The common way is to use make (and perhaps some scripts).

There is little problem doing that. There is even makefile generator in theide.

Mirek
Re: U++ as .lib [message #11698 is a reply to message #11648] Sat, 22 September 2007 17:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I tried to build U++ as a lib in MSVC8. The regular way, no SCU, no precompiled headers.

Results:
Debug - 76MB / 10 mins
Release - 353MB / 8 mins

While build times are very good, resulting size is quite a concern. Either I did something wrong, or lib in MSVC is absolutely unusable. I'll retry in Code::Blocks, and see if I get 400MB/10MB sizes I got before. If so, lib in MSVC probably won't work...
Re: U++ as .lib [message #11701 is a reply to message #11698] Sat, 22 September 2007 22:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bad news Crying or Very Sad I've rebuilt with Code::Blocks/MinGW, and here are the results:

Debug: 548MB / 132 mins
Release: 13MB / 112 mins

That's similar to my previous results (size increase is probably due to increased number of working packages). I have to conclude that MSVC indeed builds incredibly huge release libs... This might be related to the compiler/linker bug on release, but this time I didn't use SCU, and it worked.
Re: U++ as .lib [message #11702 is a reply to message #11701] Sun, 23 September 2007 00:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cbpporter is currently offline  cbpporter
Ultimate Contributor
An how much time does it take to compile and link a test app with these libs. On my computer it takes 2-4 seconds in debug mode.
Re: U++ as .lib [message #11703 is a reply to message #11702] Sun, 23 September 2007 01:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cbpporter wrote on Sun, 23 September 2007 00:04

An how much time does it take to compile and link a test app with these libs. On my computer it takes 2-4 seconds in debug mode.

You also built U++ libs?
Hmm... since I've built the libs already, why not test Smile

I've used the same Animated Hello example.

MSVC / debug / 76MB lib : 2.2MB / 10 sec
MSVC / release / 353MB lib : 544KB / 30 sec
MinGW / debug / 548MB lib : 7.3MB / 17 sec
MinGW / release / 13MB lib : 1MB / 8 sec

MSVC / debug / scu : 3.9MB / 32 sec
MSVC / release / scu : doesn't work... (stupid compiler/linker bug)
MinGW / debug / scu : 11MB / 1:34
MinGW / release / scu : 3.2MB / 4:00

I'll leave the conslusions to you Razz

P.S. MinGW is usually slower and creates larget exes than MSVC8, and MSVC8 is usually slower and creates larger exes than MSVC71. So MinGW isn't such a good compiler Sad . Any free/opensource alternatives?

Re: U++ as .lib [message #11704 is a reply to message #11703] Sun, 23 September 2007 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cbpporter is currently offline  cbpporter
Ultimate Contributor
My conclusion is that it's not worth it. These times are quite awful (unless you are using a really old computer, which I hope is not the case). And anyway I wouldn't download such huge libs when I can compile them from source.

But if we could get U++ in a state in which it can be recompiled in TheIDE and other more traditional environments (make, and I hope cmake), than that certainly would give more choice. And I also would like to get my hands on a new stable version, this one has a lot of bug and I’m already maintaining a list of bug fixes even though I barely started using U++.

And I think it would be very useful to have an article on exactly how BLITZ works, what do you have to do to achieve it and why is it faster. Maybe other projects could benefit from it
(like at my work place where the slightest modification in a file requires a 1-2 minute rebuild).
Re: U++ as .lib [message #11711 is a reply to message #11704] Sun, 23 September 2007 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
cbpporter wrote on Sun, 23 September 2007 04:19

And I think it would be very useful to have an article on exactly how BLITZ works, what do you have to do to achieve it and why is it faster. Maybe other projects could benefit from it
(like at my work place where the slightest modification in a file requires a 1-2 minute rebuild).

Hm, in ToDo for eons.

OK, so quick BLITZ overview:

First, BLITZ processes packages (not the whole program) - each package can have a single BLITZ block.

Only .cpp including files with guards (#ifdef H... #define H) can qualify to be part of BLITZ block. Alternatively, you can force inclusion by #pragma BLITZ_APPROVE (also for header) or exlusion by #pragma BLITZ_PROHIBIT.

AND only files older than one hour qualify for BLITZ block. (Because you do not want files you work on to be in BLITZ block).

Also, the whole package can be excluded based on .upp settings.

Then files are scanned for any #defines, these are undefined at the end of file. BLITZ block is in fact a file generated into output directory that include all BLITZ approved files and gets compiled instead (it is named $blitz.cpp, you can check the output directory for details).

Now a dirty trick:

#ifdef  flagBLITZ
#define MK__s            MK__s_(COMBINE(BLITZ_INDEX__, __LINE__))
#else
#define MK__s            MK__s_(__LINE__)
#endif

Blitz block defines BLITZ_INDEX__ for each file, in order to give a library code chance to define unique static variable names...

OK, I believe that is all about the BLITZ magic:)

Mirek
Re: U++ as .lib [message #11712 is a reply to message #11703] Sun, 23 September 2007 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
sergei wrote on Sat, 22 September 2007 19:43

cbpporter wrote on Sun, 23 September 2007 00:04

You also built U++ libs?
Hmm... since I've built the libs already, why not test Smile

I've used the same Animated Hello example.

MSVC / debug / 76MB lib : 2.2MB / 10 sec
MSVC / release / 353MB lib : 544KB / 30 sec
MinGW / debug / 548MB lib : 7.3MB / 17 sec
MinGW / release / 13MB lib : 1MB / 8 sec

MSVC / debug / scu : 3.9MB / 32 sec
MSVC / release / scu : doesn't work... (stupid compiler/linker bug)
MinGW / debug / scu : 11MB / 1:34
MinGW / release / scu : 3.2MB / 4:00

I'll leave the conslusions to you Razz

Well, my conclusion is "avoid SCU and pursue reasonable .lib approach".

Mind you, things do not need to be perfect at this stage... Right now the goal is to open a way for people that are not ready (yet Smile to use theide to play with U++.

Could you try debug .lib without full debug info? (Only basic info and ASSERTs).

Mirek
Re: U++ as .lib [message #11715 is a reply to message #11648] Sun, 23 September 2007 16:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I might have a very old computer, depending on what you consider an old one. I'm on P4 - 3.0 GHz, Cedar Mill (duh, the last one before Core Duo), FSB 800 MHz, 2GB RAM - CL5, 667 MHz. Old WinXP SP2 setup.

As I said you can recompile the libs rather easily. 20 mins for debug+release in MSVC. The huge times in MinGW are because I didn't use precompiled headers. If I did it would be about 20 mins too. Long times for MSVC/release and MinGW/debug with the libs are because the libs are huge. For MSVC that's rather surprising, shouldn't release be small...

If you want to compare my times to your computer, here are my times for UWord:

TheIDE / 708dev2b / MinGW (bundled) / debug : 15.1MB / 1:24
TheIDE / 708dev2b / MinGW (bundled) / optimal : 2.2MB / 3:04

SCU / lib times aren't that awful now, right? Cool Remember I'm always posting full rebuild times, which are probably only necessary for the first build.

I could try debug libs without full info (that means flagDEBUG but no flagDEBUG_FULL, right?). Yet I still favor SCU more than debug lib (step in, quick modify and rebuild).
Re: U++ as .lib [message #11717 is a reply to message #11715] Sun, 23 September 2007 19:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
sergei wrote on Sun, 23 September 2007 10:46

0:26

E4300 @ 2.7Ghz, 2 GB RAM

Anyway, this is with new MinGW as compared to 708dev2b (4.x GCC is faster).

BTW, fastest time with MSC7.1 is 16s. That is quite acceptable for full U++ GUI rebuild Smile

Mirek
Re: U++ as .lib [message #11718 is a reply to message #11717] Sun, 23 September 2007 19:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
luzr wrote on Sun, 23 September 2007 19:04

sergei wrote on Sun, 23 September 2007 10:46

0:26

E4300 @ 2.7Ghz, 2 GB RAM

Anyway, this is with new MinGW as compared to 708dev2b (4.x GCC is faster).

BTW, fastest time with MSC7.1 is 16s. That is quite acceptable for full U++ GUI rebuild Smile

Mirek

In other words my comp is slow Crying or Very Sad
That means that you could, like, divide my times by 3 Razz

I just realized that flagDEBUG_FULL makes no difference (it's really not used). I've disabled PDB, now debug is MSVC is 26MB (vs 78MB). Still too large. But I've found the reason for 353MB release lib - link time whole program optimization (enabled by default). Without it the size 26MB (again, too large).
Re: U++ as .lib [message #11720 is a reply to message #11718] Sun, 23 September 2007 19:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
26MB does not need to too large - try to zip it...

Anyway, check the flags you are using for debug info...

Mirek
Re: U++ as .lib [message #11722 is a reply to message #11720] Sun, 23 September 2007 20:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
luzr wrote on Sun, 23 September 2007 19:55

Mirek

I use no debug info. There's PDB, C7, ... I chose no debugging symbols.

ZIP is 6MB. OK, not large. But there would be one for debug, one for release, + maybe a separate set for multithreaded. And what about SQL? Include/exclude (currently excluded)?
Re: U++ as .lib [message #11725 is a reply to message #11722] Sun, 23 September 2007 21:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
sergei wrote on Sun, 23 September 2007 14:05

Mirek

ZIP is 6MB. OK, not large. But there would be one for debug, one for release, + maybe a separate set for multithreaded. And what about SQL? Include/exclude (currently excluded)?

Well, yes. That is why it is so much complex problem... Told you at the beginning, right? Smile

I mean, I really would like to have .lib versions. The trouble is that I do not really know how to do that Smile

Looks like a simple job, but in reality, there is a lot to be solved.

Mirek
Re: U++ as .lib [message #11727 is a reply to message #11725] Sun, 23 September 2007 21:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
luzr wrote on Sun, 23 September 2007 21:34

sergei wrote on Sun, 23 September 2007 14:05

Mirek

Well, yes. That is why it is so much complex problem... Told you at the beginning, right? Smile

I mean, I really would like to have .lib versions. The trouble is that I do not really know how to do that Smile

Looks like a simple job, but in reality, there is a lot to be solved.

Mirek

That's why SCU is cool - no libs required Razz

But really, why not let the users build the libs by themselves? It shouldn't take more than half an hour, worst case. Plus they'll select whatever packages they want, multithreaded or not, if they want SQL they'll have SQL installed so it will work. Two builds - debug and release, and no extra large downloads.

Re: U++ as .lib [message #11728 is a reply to message #11727] Sun, 23 September 2007 22:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Yes! Using makefiles?

I guess the real problem is that there are so many options and no really good solutions Smile

Mirek
Re: U++ as .lib [message #11730 is a reply to message #11728] Sun, 23 September 2007 23:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
luzr wrote on Sun, 23 September 2007 22:21

Yes! Using makefiles?

I guess the real problem is that there are so many options and no really good solutions Smile

Mirek

AFAIK makefiles are compiler/system dependent. There is such a thing as bakefiles, but I've never used them (actually I did, when I tried to build VCF, but it didn't work Razz ).

Many options - yes. Good solution? Well, IMHO what I've posted in the other thread is fine. You just have a folder (UppLib), tell the user to use whatever compiler he wants, just add all files in the folder to a static lib project and build. Problem would appear only if the user has a compiler but doesn't have an IDE. But then, use TheIDE Laughing

This solution is flexible - a premade makefile would probably include a preset set of packages, or would be tricky to code to enable options. But with a folder of source, user could modify pkggen.txt, select whatever packages he wants, use the required flags with pkggen.exe and get a folder of sources HE WANTS. I might be reinventing the bakefiles/makefiles wheel, but this works.

I understand that you really want libs, but I wouldn't discard SCU for debug. It proved to be extremely useful when I was modifying U++ source (those tiny bugfixes). TheIDE debugger didn't work as expected, but with MSVC + SCU I was able to fix something and test it within half a minute. Guess I'm in the minority (people who modify U++ would prefer TheIDE), but still... It could be marked "for advanced users" Razz

Re: U++ as .lib [message #11736 is a reply to message #11648] Mon, 24 September 2007 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
makefiles are firstly make-dependent.
The system/compiler is issue which can be solved by creating some configuration script and a modular universal makefile. (but it's not a simple thing to do)
Common linux way of building binaries is "configure && make && make install", i.e. the first step is to set up makefile for current system, and to switch on/off modules as you wish it.

So actually you really are reinventing makefiles.

What platforms do you want libs for?
So far mingw+linux+OSX/X11 can work with same (nasty) universal autoconf+makefile.
The other one is needed for MSC.

pkggen.exe looks to me less portable. Some makefile+platforms guru would do this very likely in shorter time.
Previous Topic: New major release?
Next Topic: Minor releases?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 10:50:13 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01398 seconds