Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » U++ Developers corner » AGG
AGG [message #9941] Sun, 10 June 2007 11:24 Go to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Quote:

For me i hope it will be possible to integrate it into Draw instead of GDI.
In the code i don't want to know that for drawing lines is responsible agg or GDI, it schould be transparent.
But in AGG mode the interface should have a bit more options for drawing lines of different widths with any pen etc .

Well, this issue was already resolved and while there could be Draw variant, I strongly believe that AGG should be kept as separate engine. The main reason is that it has much more rich capabilities than Draw, OTOH we want to keep Draw interface minimal (so that it can be easily implemented anywhere). I think in your message, you see that too Wink

What we need is the seamless integration. The real problem there (not that apparent at the first look) is, in nutshell, printing.

That means you should be capable to store AGG painting into Drawing and then put it to the printer, in high resolution (600dpi is U++ standard).

That more or less rules out storing it as raster. There is quite reasonable interface ready in Draw capable of solving this issue - DrawData. In current Draw, it is capable of drawing rescaled images directly from compressed image formats, which was e.g. needed in one of my application, where 300dpi scanned image of full A4 page is printed behind some text produced by application (form-filler style of app). DrawData even tries to "compress" the raster data while sending them to the printer by replacing large uni-color areas with DrawRect and it also performs banding to reduce the memory requirements.

See Draw/DrawData and Draw/DrawRasterData.
Re: AGG [message #9942 is a reply to message #9941] Sun, 10 June 2007 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Related archived thread:

http://www.ultimatepp.org/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=579&a mp;start=0&

Also, looks like we are stuck with AGG 2.4 version.

Mirek
Re: AGG [message #9952 is a reply to message #9942] Mon, 11 June 2007 04:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novo is currently offline  Novo
Ultimate Contributor
luzr wrote on Sun, 10 June 2007 06:29

Insider's information: the author of AGG can make a separate license for UPP. You'll need just ask him and explain reasons.

Regards,
Novo
Re: AGG [message #9953 is a reply to message #9952] Mon, 11 June 2007 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Novo wrote on Sun, 10 June 2007 22:30

luzr wrote on Sun, 10 June 2007 06:29

Insider's information: the author of AGG can make a separate license for UPP. You'll need just ask him and explain reasons.

That sounds good, thanks - but I see that a little bit troublesome - I cannot imagine separate license that would work in our case (because it would make AGG sources released under "free" license AFAIK...).

Mirek
Re: AGG [message #9960 is a reply to message #9953] Mon, 11 June 2007 15:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novo is currently offline  Novo
Ultimate Contributor
luzr wrote on Mon, 11 June 2007 04:00

it would make AGG sources released under "free" license AFAIK...

AGG was previously "free", and, as I know, old customers got separate licenses. If you really want to use AGG in UPP just ask the author. He is a good guy.

Regards,
Novo

[Updated on: Mon, 11 June 2007 23:03]

Report message to a moderator

Re: AGG [message #9968 is a reply to message #9960] Mon, 11 June 2007 17:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Ok, how should it look like (IMO) interface-wise:

void SomePaintRoutine(Draw& w)
{
    AGGDraw agg(w, 10, 10, 200, 200);
    agg.DrawRect(...); // AGGDraw is derived from Draw
    agg.DrawBezierCurve(...); // But also has some specific methods..
    // ... destructor of AGGDraw "flushes" it into draw
}

Now the important part -> this should work with Drawing and PdfDraw and PrinterDraw too, in that case drawing ops get recorded into binary stream and "flush to draw" will be performed by DrawData.

I guess there should be check whether we are painting to the screen, in that case the image would be drawn directly into ImageBuffer and applied using DrawImage.

Intitial implementation of course can use this ImageBuffer path only (not be bothered with Drawing / DrawData).
icon13.gif  Re: AGG [message #10091 is a reply to message #9941] Tue, 19 June 2007 23:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
arturbac is currently offline  arturbac

Design that don't work at all Embarassed
What I do wrong ?
Re: AGG [message #10143 is a reply to message #10091] Fri, 22 June 2007 04:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fudadmin is currently offline  fudadmin
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
Hi, this this my old agg package. Maybe some people find it useful...
Re: AGG [message #10145 is a reply to message #10143] Fri, 22 June 2007 04:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
...this is a testcase for upp_agg_svg...
Sorry, it's old and messy - I was trying xml parsing with upp before uncovered upp Xml capabilities (or maybe they didn't exist at that time...) but it works and shows the potential.

SvgView::Paint(Draw& w) - could give you some ideas to experiment with different aspects of agg connection to upp.
ImagBuffer::Rectangalize(Draw& w, bool norect) is the main thing, IMHO, to sort out Mirek's mentioned printing problem:
it finds mono-color rectangles and can be used to send DrawRect to printer instead of pixels. (it might not in this example but I had tested printing, too)
Ok, I might be back... Smile
Re: AGG [message #10146 is a reply to message #10145] Fri, 22 June 2007 04:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
These are svg_examples to play with. They are a bit corrected by me (according to standards, imo) and might differ from those of agg website.
P.S. you should unpack the examples into ~/svg_examples/ to test with XmlView_svg2

[Updated on: Fri, 22 June 2007 04:58]

Re: AGG [message #10158 is a reply to message #9941] Fri, 22 June 2007 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Thanks.
Re: AGG [message #10166 is a reply to message #10158] Sat, 23 June 2007 01:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
arturbac wrote on Fri, 22 June 2007 09:37

Thanks.

You welcome.
A. Some more considerations about agg or what people expect from agg:
1. the questions I didn't answer to myself:
"Would be it possible (or desired.. or required) too "agg-ise" existing:
a) the whole application
b) only some controls
c) only some elements of controls
with e.g let's say (kind/part of "chameleon"?) Draw::SetEngine("AGG"/"VNC"/"HOST"/"SDL/"GLX"..., SetScreen("whole_screen", 10times x 10times), ElementsFilter(ArrayMap("RichEdit","text")) )
d) all text
or only use AggDraw in e.g virtual Paint() for each users needs in new controls to draw something (like Mirek's proposal?) ?

2. In case of controls- "how to switch/connect between subpixel accuracy and existing "no double point" coordinates (something like existing "Splitter"...?)

3. Would all those upp AggDraw::DrawSomething(...) wrapper things just be an extra bloat when at the moment with my Imag buffer (kind of canvas?) I have all the flexibility of agg?
-partial answer to this: ok, maybe people would not need to learn "agg way of doing things" but is it worth?

B. if accepted, "agg_aris_main" package should be renamed agg2.4_uppBase1 (or similar) and go to under /plugins and not needed to be changed except:
1. maybe - agg_svg_upp (svg related files) should be extracted into a separate package? - Because (at least me) it is going to be adjusted for Upp::Xml
2. maybe - someone (or me in some future) will want to adjust agg2.4_uppBase1 to upp containers (then agg2.4_uppBase2? )
3. I would suggest then to have different agg_upp_bind (or agg2.4UppDraw ) packages and/or variants (I will have my variants anyway Smile)
4. related to my naming scheme - I'm seriously thinking about a mechanism (regular exp aliases? and/or version control) allowing showing and switching between different branches/versions in the theide.

Aris

[Updated on: Sat, 23 June 2007 01:58]

Re: AGG [message #10184 is a reply to message #9941] Sat, 23 June 2007 20:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

I have 2 questions :
1.Why You use ImagBuffer instead of ImageBuffer from Upp ?
2.What exactly do Rectangelize ?
Re: AGG [message #10186 is a reply to message #10184] Sat, 23 June 2007 22:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
arturbac wrote on Sat, 23 June 2007 19:12

I have 2 questions :
1.Why You use ImagBuffer instead of ImageBuffer from Upp ?
2.What exactly do Rectangelize ?

a) You can try ImageBuffer. At least at that time (something a year ago... when I was creating upp-agg things) ImaggeBuffer seemed to me like having not enough functionality.
b) Also, I had more extra methods in it and achieved some agg functionality without agg (like moving lines by fractions of a pixel(tried 1/10th), line smoothing etc.).
c) I had idea to use it as memory canvas and paint different things (with and without agg) to it and at the end of a cycle:

2. Rectangalize - to save graphics bandwidth and speed up throwing it to screen (or printer) by not sending pixel by pixel but employing hardware's DrawRect (this idea was proposed by Mirek if you browse forum archieves). Especially a big speed up with printers if you ever tried to print BIG rendered images...

P.S. The thing which Mirek wanted me to do was recording and replay of agg drawings in WMF style... But despite a lot of efforts my brain never came to that realization... Smile. Maybe joint efforts can produce that...

[Updated on: Sat, 23 June 2007 22:30]

Re: AGG [message #10190 is a reply to message #10186] Sun, 24 June 2007 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
fudadmin wrote on Sat, 23 June 2007 16:11

2. Rectangalize - to save graphics bandwidth and speed up throwing it to screen (or printer) by not sending pixel by pixel but employing hardware's DrawRect (this idea was proposed by Mirek if you browse forum archieves). Especially a big speed up with printers if you ever tried to print BIG rendered images...

Actually, you got this point wrong back then...

What is needed is in the fact the ability to render the image in bands. In other words, to draw the clip of image only. Together with "WMF-style" recording, U++'s DrawData function will be able to draw the image in only small portions (bands) and will perform the "rectanglizations" (this code is already in Draw package and tested to work in some of mine commercial applications to directly draw supported image formats like .png).

OTOH, I think this whole issue can wait a bit. Painting on the screen seems to be the primary problem now anyway....

Mirek
Re: AGG [message #10193 is a reply to message #10190] Sun, 24 June 2007 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
luzr wrote on Sun, 24 June 2007 10:02

Actually, you got this point wrong back then...

You mean, now I understand it, do you? Smile

Quote:

What is needed is in the fact the ability to render the image in bands. In other words, to draw the clip of image only. Together with "WMF-style" recording, U++'s DrawData function will be able to draw the image in only small portions (bands) and will perform the "rectanglizations" (this code is already in Draw package and tested to work in some of mine commercial applications to directly draw supported image formats like .png).

Yes, I just made your ingenious piece of code to work with agg and blend with upp Ctrls (with controlled transluency layers). But I also wanted to detect refreshable rectangles from the whole application and pump through my ImagBuffer system. Maybe the other way round and wrong approach...

Quote:

OTOH, I think this whole issue can wait a bit.

Do you mean, agg?
Quote:

Painting on the screen seems to be the primary problem now anyway....

Could you elaborate? You mean agg painting or upp painting? (if upp, is this the reason upp blinks horribly with beryl when resizing?)

P.S XmlView_svg2 which I posted is not all what have done with upp and agg. Some other things were e.g inserting resizable png and svg imges (EDIT: actually as links not the whole images) into UWord and exporting qtf into xhtml (not HTML).
But the biggest drawback of theide (or maybe my inability) to have good version control switching is that I have to spend too much time adjusting my changes to official versions.

[Updated on: Sun, 24 June 2007 13:35]

Re: AGG [message #10194 is a reply to message #10193] Sun, 24 June 2007 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Quote:

Do you mean, agg?

I mean the printing problem.

Mirek
Re: AGG [message #10449 is a reply to message #10194] Tue, 10 July 2007 01:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
ok, if you'd like this style:
		AggDrawer agd(RectC(0,0,sz.cx, sz.cy));
		agd.SetBackground(agg::rgba(0, 1.0, 1.0, ~optR));
//		agd.SetBackground(agg::rgba(1.0, 0.5, 0.5));

agd.DrawLine(0,0,100,100,10);
		agd.SetBrushColor(agg::rgba(0, 0, 0));
//		agd.DrawLine(100,0,200,100,10);
		agd.DrawEllipse(sz2.cx, sz2.cy, sz2.cx-10, sz2.cy-10, 3);

agd.End(w, ~optR);

here is the plugin:
Re: AGG [message #10450 is a reply to message #10449] Tue, 10 July 2007 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
here is bind package to play with.
Re: AGG [message #10452 is a reply to message #10450] Tue, 10 July 2007 02:09 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
here is test bind.

P.S If I was Mirek, I would advice aris about pixel format files and add that plugin to upp ... Smile
Previous Topic: Linux theide idle from vnc
Next Topic: What (or if) format of video buffer would be needed for video support?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 14:41:41 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02530 seconds