Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » Has anyone used CUDA with UPP?
Has anyone used CUDA with UPP? [message #10798] Sun, 29 July 2007 22:49 Go to next message
nixnixnix is currently offline  nixnixnix
CUDA is NVidia's API for writing programmes which use the GPU for calculations. Anyone with a GeForce 8800 or better should be able to use this API.

Unfortunately though all the examples are written for VC++ and they also need to be compiled with a special compiler (nvcc.exe) and tinkering with this sort of stuff is not in my comfort zone Smile so am wondering if anyone else on here has had a play and got it working?

If you want to find out more about CUDA you can go here

<a href="http://developer.nvidia.com/object/cuda.html"> </a>

where there are lots of cool free toys to download and play with as well as guides to what the hell they are. Ok, back to being befuddled for me....

Nick

[Updated on: Sun, 29 July 2007 22:51]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Has anyone used CUDA with UPP? [message #10799 is a reply to message #10798] Sun, 29 July 2007 23:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
"CUDA technology is currently supported on the Linux and Microsoft® Windows® XP operating systems."

Looks like there is maybe some way to get it run on Linux... that means it should be not strictly MS VC only thing.

I will read a bit further and see if there's more promising information.
In case this can be easily incorporated into U++ for both Windows and Linux it may bring new (power) users to U++.
OTOH the Mac is not supported, so this can't be really cross platform.

And firstly somebody must add it to U++ Very Happy.

Uh.. now it occurred to me...
There will be very likely problems with license. I can't see straight away on NVIDIA page under what license they give away the CUDA tools, but I don't think it will be BSD compatible one.

So to make CUDA as a supported default package into U++ will be probably impossible. (still if you manage to find out the license, feel free to post here what is it about)

It can be still some optional package for external download if somebody does manage to provide package of it, and if the NVIDIA CUDA license allows such packaging (I'm in doubt of this).

(sorry, I don't have more time or interest to get deeper into this stuff right now)
Re: Has anyone used CUDA with UPP? [message #10800 is a reply to message #10798] Mon, 30 July 2007 00:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
"CUDA and its libraries are compiled with gcc 3.4.5 and the same tools should be
used on other distributions. Alternatively, compatibility packages containing
libstdc++.so.6 may be used. These are available for many Linux distributions.
For example, on recent Fedora Core releases, the compat-libstdc++-34 is needed."

btw, the libraries itself will be very likely just binary, so it is not worth of adding to U++ default packages.

Still if somebody manages to make a package for easy usage in U++, it will help you... You need to hope there's somebody experienced enough who can do that.

Anyway, the supported linux flavors so far are only Red Hat and OpenSUSE, no Debian/Ubuntu, so I can't help with this.
I'm not experienced enough to hack Red Hat package to work on Debian... Very Happy
Re: Has anyone used CUDA with UPP? [message #10807 is a reply to message #10800] Mon, 30 July 2007 15:43 Go to previous message
nixnixnix is currently offline  nixnixnix
Thanks for taking the time to look at this. Yeah I wasn't so much looking for it to be incorporated into U++ as to be able to configure theIDE to be able to make use of CUDA with a UPP interface. It seems that this must be possible but that I need to learn more about how to do a "custom build"? or some such. Its kind of a side project for me just now but yes, I'm sure that if there was a configuration (or howto) for using CUDA it could well attract new users.

Thanks again,

Nick

p.s. the whole CUDA thing is pretty new so I suspect they will support more platforms as things progress.
Previous Topic: U++ status on various platform
Next Topic: Mac OS X startup
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 11:58:30 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01333 seconds