Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: Compiling, Linking, Debugging of your packages » Problem with breakpoint using GCC and UBUNTU 7.04
icon9.gif  Problem with breakpoint using GCC and UBUNTU 7.04 [message #11820] Wed, 26 September 2007 18:45 Go to next message
willysignori is currently offline  willysignori
Hi to everyone can help me.

I´m using U++ under Ubuntu 7.04 distribution and I'm compiling one example package (Puzzle) with default settings.
After setting one breakpoint at one line, and running in DEBUG mode, the application doesn't stop.
I've tried also changing some settings under BUILD METHODS options but nothing.
I've done the same steps under Win XP (U++ + VC++ express edition) and there it runs fine!

What is it wrong?
Re: Problem with breakpoint using GCC and UBUNTU 7.04 [message #11821 is a reply to message #11820] Wed, 26 September 2007 18:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
Did you switch FULL_DEBUG in build method?

This is by default OFF in linux, even in debug mode. (it's ON in windows, so there it works ok.)
It's OFF because it makes build times quite longer, but after switching it the breakpoints works for me. (Kubuntu 6.10)
Re: Problem with breakpoint using GCC and UBUNTU 7.04 [message #11833 is a reply to message #11821] Thu, 27 September 2007 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Mr_Ped,

yes it's switched in FULL mode, but no result.
I've tried also other BUILD settings, but nothing.

Other chances (could be the new version of UBUNTU?)? Could be problem on library?

During my test, changing the BUILD METHODS (for example removing the BLITZ) it doesn't make effects on compiling (I see always BLITZ string in compiling output window): why?

I know these questions could be "stupid", but I'm testing the PUZZLE demo, not a "strange" application.

Bye and many thanks.
Re: Problem with breakpoint using GCC and UBUNTU 7.04 [message #11839 is a reply to message #11820] Thu, 27 September 2007 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor
Quote:

During my test, changing the BUILD METHODS (for example removing the BLITZ) it doesn't make effects on compiling (I see always BLITZ string in compiling output window): why?

This sounds weird.

Ok, Look at the tools bar under menu, there's probably something like "GCC Debug" and two down-arrows on each side of it.

This is selected build method, which will be used in build.

You can click on the left down arrow to change compiler (build method). (in your case there's IMHO only one in linux, the one using GCC)

You can click on the right down arrow to change build mode (Debug / Optimal / Speed / Size)

So firstly what you need is GCC Debug or something like that.

Now click between those two arrows right on the build method, you will get into Build method options ("Output mode" dialog).
The radio box "Debug" should be selected on the top-left-half of the dialog. Now consider only left half (the debug one) of dialog:
Link mode should be "shared libs" IIRC (or was it static?). Default debug info level should say "Full", blitz shouldn't matter. (feel free to try both settings).

Next you will see list of packages used, make sure all have in Debug field nothing (default) or "Full".

Click Ok, Build->Clean UPPOUT and press F7 to rebuild everything.

Feel free to check Setup->Be verbose ahead of build, and check the command line in console windows, what options are used to call compiler linker. (post it here maybe if it will still not work).

Once you will be sure your executable is linked with full debug info, than the debug should work. If not, there's some different problem. If you are skilled GCC developer, you would surely know how to test binary outside of TheIDE with gdb to see if you can debug it this way.
icon14.gif  Re: Problem with breakpoint using GCC and UBUNTU 7.04 [message #11847 is a reply to message #11839] Thu, 27 September 2007 18:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MANY THANKS Mr_ped,

I was sure was only my mistake!
I always tried to change parameters in menu Setup->Build methods and never clicking in the "middle" of two arrows.
Now WORKS perfectly.

Only one question: why does not it work starting from menu Setup->Build methods? Is it for other purposes?

Bye and thanks again!

Willy
Re: Problem with breakpoint using GCC and UBUNTU 7.04 [message #11848 is a reply to message #11820] Thu, 27 September 2007 19:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor
No, that's the same dialog.

I think you were changing the other half of the dialog (i.e. "debug" options while you had "Optimal" selected as build target, or vice-versa).
(that would also explain the ignored BLITZ setting issue)

Enjoy. Smile
Re: Problem with breakpoint using GCC and UBUNTU 7.04 [message #11858 is a reply to message #11847] Fri, 28 September 2007 15:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
willysignori wrote on Thu, 27 September 2007 12:53

Only one question: why does not it work starting from menu Setup->Build methods? Is it for other purposes?

Build method represents the interface to your build environment. You set compiler options, path settings etc.. The point is to set it up once. Once correct, you should be able to compile any U++ project on that machine.

And, btw, the complications you had, I must admit that there was ungly trick used by us.

The problem was that previous versions of ubuntu had bug in "ld", which resulted in long linking time for anything with debug info. That is why we have pre-set "debug minimal".

Mirek
Re: Problem with breakpoint using GCC and UBUNTU 7.04 [message #11860 is a reply to message #11858] Fri, 28 September 2007 16:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mdelfede is currently offline  mdelfede
Ultimate Contributor
luzr wrote on Fri, 28 September 2007 15:24

The problem was that previous versions of ubuntu had bug in "ld", which resulted in long linking time for anything with debug info. That is why we have pre-set "debug minimal".

This remembers me the 'tkb' (task builder) linker on vax system at university... it tooks hours to link. They had also a 'ftb' (fast task builder) but they gave access to it only to few people... don't know why Confused

On my ubuntu the build with debug on is fast enough, indeed.

Ciao

Max
Re: Problem with breakpoint using GCC and UBUNTU 7.04 [message #11882 is a reply to message #11860] Sat, 29 September 2007 17:06 Go to previous message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
mdelfede wrote on Fri, 28 September 2007 10:09

luzr wrote on Fri, 28 September 2007 15:24

This remembers me the 'tkb' (task builder) linker on vax system at university... it tooks hours to link. They had also a 'ftb' (fast task builder) but they gave access to it only to few people... don't know why Confused

On my ubuntu the build with debug on is fast enough, indeed.

Ciao

Max

I believe that the bug is fixed since 7.04.

Mirek
Previous Topic: A question about packages
Next Topic: Another 2 questions about packages...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 20:26:37 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02567 seconds