Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » U++ Widgets - General questions or Mixed problems » DockCtrl (A dockable window widget for U++)
Re: DockCtrl (A dockable window widget for U++) [message #11862 is a reply to message #11856] Fri, 28 September 2007 16:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oblivion is currently offline  Oblivion
Senior Contributor
luzr wrote on Fri, 28 September 2007 16:16

Oblivion wrote on Wed, 26 September 2007 08:57

Rect DockableCtrl::GetWindowRect(TopWindow& window, Rect& r)
{
#ifdef PLATFORM_WIN32

Rect wrect = r;
::AdjustWindowRect(wrect, window.GetStyle(), false); //Win32 call
return wrect;

#endif

BTW, are you aware that in U++, rect of window excludes "decorations"? Smile

Yes I am well aware of that. And that caused me some trouble Smile
But are there any "rectangle" methods that doesn't exclude them? I hate to take care of nc area manually all the time Smile

Re: DockCtrl (A dockable window widget for U++) [message #11863 is a reply to message #11859] Fri, 28 September 2007 18:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
unodgs wrote on Fri, 28 September 2007 10:00

Quote:

Interesting, what xor rectangle?

Xor works perfectly if border of rectangle is 1 pixel width. If it is more than 1 pixel and you move rectnagle by 1 pixel for example rectangle must flicker - overlaping border parts are deleted and then repainted in the same position.

AFAIK not with

Quote:

void DrawDragRect(Draw& w, const Rect& _rect1, const Rect& _rect2, const Rect& _clip, int n, Color color, uint64 pattern)

Search it in CtrlCore for usage, this should be flicker-free - it works by xoring only "new" parts of rectangle - overlapping parts are NOT deleted Smile

Mirek
Re: DockCtrl (A dockable window widget for U++) [message #11864 is a reply to message #11862] Fri, 28 September 2007 18:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Oblivion wrote on Fri, 28 September 2007 10:59

Yes I am well aware of that. And that caused me some trouble Smile
But are there any "rectangle" methods that doesn't exclude them? I hate to take care of nc area manually all the time Smile

Well, the important reason for this is that in X11, there is generally not possible to use reactangle with decorations. X11 only allows you to work with the "client" rectangle. That is why all such methods were carefully removed from U++ so that we are X11 compatible....

I am afraid you will have to find a way not using AdjustRect if you want this to work in Linux.

Mirek
Re: DockCtrl (A dockable window widget for U++) [message #11865 is a reply to message #11861] Fri, 28 September 2007 18:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Oblivion wrote on Fri, 28 September 2007 10:49

By the way, Mirek why isn't there any "non-client area" event handler on U++? I couldn't find any. Did I miss something?

WindowProc? Smile

Anyway, I am starting to feel a bit worried about all these platform specific tricks. I am not sure what exactly is covered by "docking windows", but I expected that most of it can be done using existing interfaces.

Quote:

Well, U++ is like an Iceberg, almost everything is gone undocumented. Don't get me wrong, The actual U++ code is impressing; but lack of documentation really slows down the process, and maybe that is why some people think that it is only a gui widget collection (well, it is definitely not!) Smile

Yes. You can start improving the situation by writing some docs Smile

I am starting planning for the next year, theide / documentation will be the main focus.

Mirek
Re: DockCtrl (A dockable window widget for U++) [message #11866 is a reply to message #11865] Fri, 28 September 2007 18:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
luzr wrote on Fri, 28 September 2007 19:38

Oblivion wrote on Fri, 28 September 2007 10:49

By the way, Mirek why isn't there any "non-client area" event handler on U++? I couldn't find any. Did I miss something?

WindowProc? Smile

Anyway, I am starting to feel a bit worried about all these platform specific tricks. I am not sure what exactly is covered by "docking windows", but I expected that most of it can be done using existing interfaces.

Quote:

Well, U++ is like an Iceberg, almost everything is gone undocumented. Don't get me wrong, The actual U++ code is impressing; but lack of documentation really slows down the process, and maybe that is why some people think that it is only a gui widget collection (well, it is definitely not!) Smile

Yes. You can start improving the situation by writing some docs Smile

I am starting planning for the next year, theide / documentation will be the main focus.

Mirek

YEs there is Windowproc, and I use it. What I meant with "nc handlers" was, methods to handle windowproc messages as in MFC. Anyway, it was only a suggestion Smile

Well I think I exaggerated the situation a bit. I've managed to handle all those "tricks" I've mentioned before (including AjustWindowRect) in native U++. So you should'nt have to worry about them anymore Razz Only the "Mousehook" remains. It only
handles WM_NCLBUTTONUP, and is needed because windows has a well known internal bug which they prefer to call "feature". So there is nothing much left to worry about. As I'd stated in the first post, it is and will be in U++ (except for the mouse hook). IMO, all those tricky things which I tried to implement couple of days ago are due to the lack of documentation (it takes time to find what i need).

Actually, I am working on documentation for DockCtrl. But my english, as you may have noticed, is far from being perfect Embarassed And this is my "internal bug" Laughing

Regards

[Updated on: Fri, 28 September 2007 19:03]

Report message to a moderator

Re: DockCtrl (A dockable window widget for U++) [message #11867 is a reply to message #11866] Fri, 28 September 2007 20:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Oblivion wrote on Fri, 28 September 2007 12:57

It only
handles WM_NCLBUTTONUP, and is needed because windows has a well known internal bug which they prefer to call "feature".

Well, what is your need for WM_NCLBUTTONUP and what is the bug?

I believe that if there would be any problem, we should have noticed...

Quote:

Actually, I am working on documentation for DockCtrl. But my english, as you may have noticed, is far from being perfect Embarassed And this is my "internal bug" Laughing

Regards

As is mine. The content, at this phase, is much more imporant.

Mirek
Re: DockCtrl (A dockable window widget for U++) [message #11868 is a reply to message #11867] Fri, 28 September 2007 21:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
luzr wrote on Fri, 28 September 2007 21:59

Well, what is your need for WM_NCLBUTTONUP and what is the bug?

Ok, let me explain. Dockwindows are basically derived from "DockableCtrl" class, which is actually a derivative of TopWindow. So it is possible to use it at the same time as a ctrl, and as a window. In their "docked state" they act as a ctrl and in their "float state" they are detached (dragged/teared) from their panes and activated as tool windows. When a dockwindow is teared off/dragged in solid window dragging(with the Dockablectrl::Float()/FloatEx method), it has to receive mouse messages immediately, because it is from then on in a "dragging state". This can be done easily by sending a fake WM_NCLBUTTONDOWN message with HTCAPTION parameter; by this command, system is faked to believe that mouse is dragging a "window" from it's titlebar. Here is the sequence.

1. Drag Dock from its "dragbar"(from the title bar of the dock)
This is done by LeftDrag(). So the left mouse is, from now on, "down"
2. Remove() dock from its pane.
3. Open it as a child toolwindow under the cursor position.
4. Immediately Send a WM_NCLBUTTONDOWN message explicitly (with HTCAPTION as wparam). (because, the Lmousebutton is still down.)
5. Move window.
6. Drop (theoretically, the window should send WM_NCLBUTTONUP so we could get the drag/drop state, but it doesnt; so we use the mouse patch we already installed when we invoke the Float() command and send the WM_NCLBUTTONUP command manually).

This is the actual tear-off/drag sequence. Smile

(As you can see this in the executable example (0.49.7a) I've posted. This is how a solid window drag sequence can be made possible on Win32, Or maybe I don't know the way, ayn suggestions will be very useful). But unfortunately windows from XP on does not send the proper WM_NCLBUTTONUP message to the window's message pump when the left button is released on the NC area! So it couldn't "drop" at first time when mouse button is released. It is clearly stated in the MSDN that it does, but in fact it doesn't. It is a well known bug/behaviour.

So as you see, in this case the standard U++ leftup or leftdown won't work because those messages only handle AFAIK the client area. Is there something I don't know about it?

Here is the problem and the hook solution is explained:

http://www.codeguru.com/cpp/misc/misc/windowsmessaging/artic le.php/c3885/

I use a modified version of this mouse hook, So the article could give you a clear idea about the problem, solution and (hopefully) a better solution suggestion from you Smile

Here is the modified code

//======================================================
// Original code by Robert Wiejak, (c) 2001.
//
//
#ifdef PLATFORM_WIN32
LRESULT DockCtrl::Win32MessagePatch(int code, WPARAM wParam, LPARAM lParam)
{

if(code == 0)
{
PMOUSEHOOKSTRUCT mousehookstruct = (PMOUSEHOOKSTRUCT) lParam;

DockableCtrl* dock = ::__dctrlptr->ptr->FindDockWindow(mousehookstruct->hwnd);
{

switch(wParam)
{
case WM_NCLBUTTONDOWN:
if(dock && mousehookstruct->wHitTestCode == HTCAPTION) dock->Dragging(TRUE);
break;

case WM_NCLBUTTONUP:

if(dock) dock->Dragging(FALSE);
break;

case WM_LBUTTONUP:
{
DockableCtrl *target = NULL;
if(dock && dock->IsDragged()) target = dock;
else
target = ::__dctrlptr->ptr->FindDraggedWindow();

if(target)
{
::PostMessage(target->GetHWND(), WM_NCLBUTTONUP, HTCAPTION, MAKELONG(mousehookstruct->pt.x, mousehookstruct->pt.y));
target->Dragging(FALSE);
}
}
break;

default:
break;
}
}
}
//===============================================
Regards.

[Updated on: Fri, 28 September 2007 22:24]

Re: DockCtrl (A dockable window widget for U++) [message #11869 is a reply to message #11868] Fri, 28 September 2007 22:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
I see, thanks.

I think you can find this article useful:

http://slingkid.blogsome.com/

Quote:

The trick in asking the OS to resize a window is sending the window a WM_SYSCOMMAND message. The following are parameters you pass in the message to specify how the window should be resized.

public const int SC_DRAGMOVE = 0xF012;
public const int SC_DRAGSIZE_N = 0xF003;
public const int SC_DRAGSIZE_S = 0xF006;
public const int SC_DRAGSIZE_E = 0xF002;
public const int SC_DRAGSIZE_W = 0xF001;
public const int SC_DRAGSIZE_NW = 0xF004;
public const int SC_DRAGSIZE_NE = 0xF005;
public const int SC_DRAGSIZE_SW = 0xF007;
public const int SC_DRAGSIZE_SE = 0xF008;

Usually, in your OnMouseDown method, you would delegate the job of resizing to ths OS. The code below does just that.

We are already using this in U++ - look at

void SizeGrip::LeftDown(Point p, dword flags)

It seems to work well on all platforms.

I believe that using SC_DRAGMOVE = 0xF012 instead of 0xf008 should solve your problem...

In the same function, there is also X11 implementation, based on

http://standards.freedesktop.org/wm-spec/1.3/ar01s04.html

As you can see, replacing

m.data.l[2] = 8;

should do the trick for X11...

Mirek

(BTW, it perhaps might be useful to make this more public in CtrlCore).

[Updated on: Fri, 28 September 2007 22:11]

Re: DockCtrl (A dockable window widget for U++) [message #11870 is a reply to message #11869] Fri, 28 September 2007 22:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
Thank you very much Mirek. I hope that I will get rid of the hook this week with the inof you've provided. Smile

Re: DockCtrl (A dockable window widget for U++) [message #11871 is a reply to message #11482] Sat, 29 September 2007 00:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
With your hint, I removed all the non-U++ code from dockctrl. There is no platform-specific trick left, and guess what: It works perfectly Smile I owe you a " U++ documentation" Mirek. (Or would you prefer a beer? Very Happy )

Re: DockCtrl (A dockable window widget for U++) [message #11872 is a reply to message #11870] Sat, 29 September 2007 00:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrjt is currently offline  mrjt
Contributor
I've been working on something similar (I've been off the net for two weeks or I would have said something sooner), and I'm sending the WM_NCLBUTTONDOWN message in the same way. I get around it like this:
if (message == WM_WINDOWPOSCHANGING && !IsDocked() && !GetMouseLeft())
    // Dragging finished

(IsDocked() is mine, GetMouseLeft() is UPP)
Fortunately this is almost the only hack I've had to use, the rest is all UPP.

I've attached a demo compiled with MingW (which seems much less stable than the MSC version, annoyingly). As you can see I've still got some considerable bugs to work out myself Smile I've only just managed to get autohide mostly working but the Splitters need some serious attention to get them to resize correctly.

I'm not quite ready to publish all of the code (too scared!), but let me know if I can help. It's a very interesting project.

James

PS. Oddly, one of the things I've had the most trouble with (except the bloody autohiding!) is the title bar on docked windows. I've ended up using some really ugly code and a FrameCtrl. How do yours work?

Edit: Exe is for Win32 only, and I've only tested it on XP so I wouldn't be suprised if it crashes horribly on Vista. You have been warned Smile
  • Attachment: DockTest.exe
    (Size: 957.00KB, Downloaded 903 times)

[Updated on: Mon, 01 October 2007 10:51]

Re: DockCtrl (A dockable window widget for U++) [message #11873 is a reply to message #11872] Sat, 29 September 2007 00:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
Well It crashes constantly on XP(SP2) too. Crying or Very Sad
Actually, your dockable windows are quite impressing. But the MS style (with all those arrows and I guess you use a transparent window??) is something I wouldn't prefer.

And thank you for the code snippet your workaround seems very simple. I'll try it, I hope it will work.

As for the titlebar, I use a "DragBar" class, which is derived from both Ctrl and CtrlFrame as well. It is a nested class and it differs in implementation for DockWindow and DockBar (Rebar like widget). And almost every event is handled through it. DockWindow is activated only when it is in floating state.

By the way, I implemented the autohide but disabled because of bugs. It's scheduled, and probably will be activated in a week or two Smile

What is the problem with title bar you wrote? Could you be more specific? I could answer any specific questions about DockCtrl implementation. Feel free to ask. Smile

Re: DockCtrl (A dockable window widget for U++) [message #11874 is a reply to message #11873] Sat, 29 September 2007 01:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrjt is currently offline  mrjt
Contributor
Sorry about the crashing Embarassed, tonight is the first time I've tried compiling it with MingW (I much prefer MSC but can't get it working here) and it obviously doesn't work very well. I'll repost a version that actually works at some point.

As for the title bars, they work fine. I'm just not happy with the implementation. It's too ugly Smile Guess I'll have to improve it.

And I agree about the arrows, they are quite unattractive (partly due to my lack of drawing skills), but I think it works quite well as an interface. Implementing other options shouldn't be difficult (like such as a context menu when the drag finishes) but once you introduce tabbing and multi-level docking you need something more complicated than just drag-drop (although this might be preferable for a lot of apps). I'm aiming for the level of complexity that visual studio allows, and since that is the interface it uses it was a good starting point.
Re: DockCtrl (A dockable window widget for U++) [message #11875 is a reply to message #11874] Sat, 29 September 2007 01:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
Well, then we will have both VS and QT/VS style dockable widgets on U++. Actually, I prefer QT syle animations combined with MS style autohide/hide features. So I will take that path.Imho, it's good to have alternative solutions on same platform(as to your dock widget and my dockctrl). This mean we can help each other.
Diversity is a good thing Smile

Re: DockCtrl (A dockable window widget for U++) [message #11876 is a reply to message #11873] Sat, 29 September 2007 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Oblivion wrote on Fri, 28 September 2007 18:43

As for the titlebar, I use a "DragBar" class, which is derived from both Ctrl and CtrlFrame as well. It is a nested class and it differs in implementation for DockWindow and DockBar (Rebar like widget). And almost every event is handled through it. DockWindow is activated only when it is in floating state.

Beware.

In X11, you cannot use popup windows (I mean, windows without decorations) as main windows.

Consult this for available types:

http://standards.freedesktop.org/wm-spec/wm-spec-1.3.html#id 2507144

(I guess some experimenting will be needed....)

Mirek
Re: DockCtrl (A dockable window widget for U++) [message #11879 is a reply to message #11876] Sat, 29 September 2007 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
luzr wrote on Sat, 29 September 2007 09:42

Oblivion wrote on Fri, 28 September 2007 18:43

Beware.

In X11, you cannot use popup windows (I mean, windows without decorations) as main windows.

Consult this for available types:

http://standards.freedesktop.org/wm-spec/wm-spec-1.3.html#id 2507144

(I guess some experimenting will be needed....)

Mirek

Hmm, I've read the specifications, what about the _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_TOOLBAR type? Dockwindows are not popups and they are already child windows, so there shouldn't be any problem for them. As for the planned (after I achieve a full featured dockctrl) "DockBar," it is not going to be a "main" window either. Is it not possible to use "child" windows in X11 (I know that terminology differs in X11 due to the conceptualization of it's client-server system, but I'm not a X11 guru)

And I agree. I guess It's time for me to install a linux distro Smile

[Updated on: Sat, 29 September 2007 11:15]

Re: DockCtrl (A dockable window widget for U++) [message #11994 is a reply to message #11482] Sun, 07 October 2007 02:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
Ok, here is the new executable.
I've added basic QT-like DnD animation. Finally I've got my hands on two linux distros (Ubuntu-Beryl and Pardus (Turkish)). So I hope that I will release a X11 based exe in coming weeks. (I didn't have the time to install them. (I'll do it probably this week).

Any suggestions, feedbacks, bug reports are welcome.

Regards.

Re: DockCtrl (A dockable window widget for U++) [message #11995 is a reply to message #11994] Sun, 07 October 2007 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unodgs is currently offline  unodgs
Ultimate Contributor

Oblivion wrote on Sat, 06 October 2007 20:52

I've added basic QT-like DnD animation. Finally I've got my hands on two linux distros (Ubuntu-Beryl and Pardus (Turkish)). So I hope that I will release a X11 based exe in coming weeks. (I didn't have the time to install them. (I'll do it probably this week).

Hi! Very impressive! It's almost what I was thinking of (those cool qt animations can be added at the very end). The only missing thing now is tabbed panel and I wonder how tabs should look like. Should they have native look (then you could use tabctrl code to render tabs) or custom one. I think native will be better. Anyway don't stop coding Wink Results are great!
Re: DockCtrl (A dockable window widget for U++) [message #11996 is a reply to message #11994] Sun, 07 October 2007 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Oblivion wrote on Sat, 06 October 2007 20:52

I must have missed something... Where is the new executable? Smile
Re: DockCtrl (A dockable window widget for U++) [message #11997 is a reply to message #11996] Sun, 07 October 2007 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
unodgs is currently offline  unodgs
Ultimate Contributor

luzr wrote on Sun, 07 October 2007 04:26

I must have missed something... Where is the new executable? Smile

Oblivion always updates first post in this topic.
Previous Topic: TheIDE bug in layout designer?
Next Topic: Linux RectTracker problem
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 15:16:05 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03350 seconds