Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » U++ MT-multithreading and servers » CoWork buggy!?
CoWork buggy!? [message #14946] Fri, 21 March 2008 13:39 Go to next message
Werner is currently offline  Werner
Experienced Member
I might be terribly wrong, but as far as I can see, CoWork doesn't work correctly - at least if there are less jobs than cpu cores.

Look at this:

/* analysis of a CoWork instance doing only 1 job */

/* create a CoWork instance named "coWork" */
// initializes "todo" with "0" (unnecessary)
CoWork coWork;
// jobs.GetCount:		0
// threads.GetCount:	0
// todo:				0
// waitforfinish:		0
// waitforjob:			0
// waiting_threads:		0

/* assign a job to "coWork" */
// "coWork.Do" calls "CoWork::pool" which creates a static Pool referenced by "p"
// 		this calls "CoWork::Pool::Pool" which assigns cpu( core)s + 2 Threads ...
//		... - following "max" - to the Threads in "p"
//				the OS calls "max" times "CoWork::Pool::ThreadRun", ...
//				... which sets "waiting_threads" to "max"
//				now each "CoWork::Pool::ThreadRun" is waiting for a job
// "coWork.Do" adds the job to "jobs" in "p"
// "coWork.Do" increments "todo"
// "coWork.Do" decrements "waiting_threads"
// "coWork.Do" increments "waitforjob"
coWork.Do(fn_to_run_in_a_Thread);
// jobs.GetCount:		1
// threads.GetCount:	max
// todo:				1
// waitforfinish:		0
// waitforjob:			1
// waiting_threads:		max - 1

/* now the OS activates one of the Threads */
// "waitforjob" is now "signaled", so "waitforjob" is set to "unsignaled" and ...
// "CoWork::Pool::DoJob" is called
// 		CoWork::Pool::ThreadRun decrements "waitforjob" and ...
// 		calls "CoWork::Pool::DoJob"
// 				"CoWork::Pool::DoJob" removes the job from "jobs" and ...
// 				... runs the job's function, then decrements "todo"
// 				as "todo" is now "0", "waitforfinish" is incremented
// 		CoWork::Pool::ThreadRun increments "waiting_threads" and ...
//		... waits for a new job
CoWork::Pool::ThreadRun(threadNumber);
// jobs.GetCount:		0
// threads.GetCount:	max
// todo:				0
// waitforfinish:		1
// waitforjob:			0
// waiting_threads:		max

// as "todo" is now "0", "coWork.Finish" which might be called directly ...
// ... or by "coWork.~CoWork" does nothing
// that means:
// although CoWork should be terminated, all Threads are still running ...
// ... and, as "p" is static, even "CoWork::Pool::~Pool" which kills the running Threads ...
// ... via "CoWork::Pool::DoJob" and "CoWork::Pool::ThreadRun" is called only ...
// ... when the application itself is terminated

Maybe I don't understand how to handle multithtreading under Ultimate++. If so, a little documentation might help ... Rolling Eyes

Werner
Re: CoWork buggy!? [message #14965 is a reply to message #14946] Sun, 23 March 2008 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Werner wrote on Fri, 21 March 2008 08:39

I might be terribly wrong, but as far as I can see, CoWork doesn't work correctly - at least if there are less jobs than cpu cores.

// as "todo" is now "0", "coWork.Finish" which might be called directly ...
// ... or by "coWork.~CoWork" does nothing
// that means:
// although CoWork should be terminated, all Threads are still running ...
// ... and, as "p" is static, even "CoWork::Pool::~Pool" which kills the running Threads ...
// ... via "CoWork::Pool::DoJob" and "CoWork::Pool::ThreadRun" is called only ...
// ... when the application itself is terminated
[/code]

Well, not sure if I fully undestand the complaint, but if the issue is that Finish does not terminate threads, it is exactly what we wanted. Once created, threads are terminated only at app exit.

The reason is obvious - creating / terminating threads is somewhat expensive. So we have a pool of worker threads ready when next CoWork hits. And they are shared across all CoWorks as well, even nested.

Mirek
Re: CoWork buggy!? [message #14968 is a reply to message #14965] Sun, 23 March 2008 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
luzr wrote on Sun, 23 March 2008 08:18

Well, not sure if I fully undestand the complaint, but if the issue is that Finish does not terminate threads, it is exactly what we wanted. Once created, threads are terminated only at app exit.

The reason is obvious - creating / terminating threads is somewhat expensive. So we have a pool of worker threads ready when next CoWork hits. And they are shared across all CoWorks as well, even nested.

Mirek

Ok, maybe I misunderstood the idea of "CoWork" Embarassed . If so, sorry for that Sad . After all there isn't any documentation and the code is written in a style which - well, let's say - I'm not familiar with Confused .

Anyway, this raises bags of questions of which the following 2 are my favorites:

Under which conditions should "CoWork::Finish" be called?

2. (independent from the answer to question #1)

What is "CoWork::waitforfinish" for?

If "CoWork::Finish" is called there are 2 possibilities:

a) no waiting job, i. e. "todo == 0":

Nothing is done. "CoWork::waitforfinish" remains unchanged.

b) waiting job, i. e. "todo > 0", e. g. "todo == 1":

That means "Pool:jobs.GetCount == 1" too, because both "todo" and "jobs" are incremented by "CoWork::Do" and decremented by "CoWork::Pool::DoJob". That again means "CoWork::Pool::DoJob" increments "CoWork::waitforfinish".

The conclusion is: "CoWork::waitforfinish" is never decremented and might raise without limit Shocked .

Werner
Re: CoWork buggy!? [message #14970 is a reply to message #14968] Sun, 23 March 2008 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Werner wrote on Sun, 23 March 2008 06:38

luzr wrote on Sun, 23 March 2008 08:18

Mirek

Ok, maybe I misunderstood the idea of "CoWork" Embarassed . If so, sorry for that Sad . After all there isn't any documentation and the code is written in a style which - well, let's say - I'm not familiar with Confused .

Anyway, this raises bags of questions of which the following 2 are my favorites:

Under which conditions should "CoWork::Finish" be called?

Finish waits until all the work required by calling "Do" is finished.

Quote:

What is "CoWork::waitforfinish" for?

It is used for synchronization. If there are any unfinished jobs, Finish has to wait until they are finished.

See:

bool CoWork::Pool::DoJob()
{
	Pool& p = pool();
	if(p.jobs.Top().work == NULL) {
		LLOG("Quit thread");
		return true;
	}
	MJob job = p.jobs.Pop();
	p.lock.Leave();
	job.cb();
	p.lock.Enter();
	if(--job.work->todo == 0) {
		LLOG("Releasing waitforfinish of (CoWork " << FormatIntHex(job.work) << ")");
		job.work->waitforfinish.Release();
	}
	LLOG("Finished, remaining todo " << job.work->todo << " (CoWork " << FormatIntHex(job.work) << ")");
	return false;
}

In this method, thread picks a new job to do. Each job has associated pointer to CoWork, where todo is number of jobs that yet has to be finished (you order a job to be finished by calling "Do"). If this goes to zero, all the work is done and waitforfinish semaphore can be released, so that Finish will get past waitforfinish.Wait.

a) no waiting job, i. e. "todo == 0":

Nothing is done. "CoWork::waitforfinish" remains unchanged.

It is not waiting job, it is *unfinished* job! (Includes waiting jobs and jobs that are currently being processed).

The conclusion is: "CoWork::waitforfinish" is never decremented and might raise without limit 8o .

Well, it is true that the last "Release" can have no matching Wait, but that is hardly a problem, as in that situation (todo == 0), everything is finised and we do not need to wait...

Mirek
Re: CoWork buggy!? [message #14973 is a reply to message #14970] Sun, 23 March 2008 17:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
luzr wrote on Sun, 23 March 2008 14:11

... "CoWork::waitforfinish" ... is used for synchronization. If there are any unfinished jobs, Finish has to wait until they are finished.

... todo ... is not waiting job, it is *unfinished* job! (Includes waiting jobs and jobs that are currently being processed).

Thank you very much. This clarification was extremely helpful Very Happy . Indeed I misunderstood CoWorks's design Sad .

Do I get it right now when I assume that usage of this module just requires to

create a CoWork instance, e. g.:
CoWork coWork;

2a.
assign a job, e. g.:
coWork.Do(a_job_in_form_of_a_callback);

or

2b.
assign a couple of jobs, e. g.:
coWork & job_0 & job_1 & job_2;

and *basically nothing more*? And that CoWork::Finish is *only* needed for synchronization purposes?

(I dumped all the other questions as "insignificant" Cool ).

Werner
Re: CoWork buggy!? [message #14974 is a reply to message #14973] Sun, 23 March 2008 18:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Werner wrote on Sun, 23 March 2008 12:56

luzr wrote on Sun, 23 March 2008 14:11

... "CoWork::waitforfinish" ... is used for synchronization. If there are any unfinished jobs, Finish has to wait until they are finished.

... todo ... is not waiting job, it is *unfinished* job! (Includes waiting jobs and jobs that are currently being processed).

Thank you very much. This clarification was extremely helpful Very Happy . Indeed I misunderstood CoWorks's design Sad .

Do I get it right now when I assume that usage of this module just requires to

create a CoWork instance, e. g.:
CoWork coWork;

2a.
assign a job, e. g.:
coWork.Do(a_job_in_form_of_a_callback);

or

2b.
assign a couple of jobs, e. g.:
coWork & job_0 & job_1 & job_2;

and *basically nothing more*? And that CoWork::Finish is *only* needed for synchronization purposes?

(I dumped all the other questions as "insignificant" Cool ).

Werner

Yes, but the primary usage is loop paralelization.

{
    CoWork co;
    for(int i = 0; i < n; i++)
        co & callback1(processI, i);
}

For example, imagine large Image brightness adjustment.... (and Finish in destructor enforces that the brightness for the full Image is adjusted after the block....)

Mirek

[Updated on: Sun, 23 March 2008 18:29]

Report message to a moderator

Re: CoWork buggy!? [message #14979 is a reply to message #14974] Mon, 24 March 2008 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mindtraveller is currently offline  Mindtraveller
Experienced Contributor

As far as I understand, CoWork detects number of processors present and tries to execute threads on different cores. Is that so? Can I have CoWork statistics how many theads are executed on each processor?
Re: CoWork buggy!? [message #14980 is a reply to message #14979] Mon, 24 March 2008 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Mindtraveller wrote on Mon, 24 March 2008 05:48

As far as I understand, CoWork detects number of processors present and tries to execute threads on different cores. Is that so?

Yep, that is the main goal.

Quote:

Can I have CoWork statistics how many theads are executed on each processor?

No Smile But the thread-pool is set to number-of-logical-cpus + 2.

"2" is arbitrarily choosen number. In reality, "jobs" can do I/O, so you want a reserve for blocking operations. OTOH, too much more threads would cause too much overhead - it seems that >5 slows things down.

If you want some deeper insight into CoWork operations, you can activate LLOG and LDUMP in Core/CoWork.cpp.

BTW: In debug mode, it is very common to see less than 100% CPU utilization even when using CoWork. This is caused by fact that quite frequently called memory allocator is in debug locked (to do diagnostics agenda).

Mirek
Re: CoWork buggy!? [message #14982 is a reply to message #14979] Mon, 24 March 2008 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Mindtraveller wrote on Mon, 24 March 2008 10:48

As far as I understand, CoWork detects number of processors present and tries to execute threads on different cores. Is that so?

I had quite a nice time Twisted Evil analyzing "CoWork" (and multithreading under Ultimate++ in general) and sometimes I was painfully wrong Laughing , but eventually - withs Mirek's help, of course - Rolling Eyes I was able to document the whole stuff Very Happy . So just look at this doc cutting (also published in the hope that Mirek will correct possibly still lurking errors Rolling Eyes ):

Quote:

Cf. ...upp/uppsrc/Core/CoWork.cpp

Pool();

Starts number_of_cpu(_core)s_+_2 Threads which will wait for jobs and do them as soon as they are available.

That is: all these Threads are delivered to the OS to be called by the OS when appropriate.

That means: as soon as Pool is constructed, the machine-dependant maximum number of Threads is active (periodically called by the OS) and waiting for jobs to do.

What, in the end, is periodically called by the OS, are number_of_cpu(_core)s_+_2 ThreadRun-methods (identifiable by the index passed while running "Pool()").

CoWork::Pool::Pool()
{
for(int i = 0; i < CPU_Cores() + 2; i++) // cpu( core)s + 2
threads.Add().Run(callback1(&ThreadRun, i)); // add Thread to Pool & start Thread
}

Werner
Re: CoWork buggy!? [message #15000 is a reply to message #14982] Tue, 25 March 2008 01:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mindtraveller is currently offline  Mindtraveller
Experienced Contributor

Frankly speaking, I don`t see any errors in this code.
Documentation is kind of painful question for me, but Mirek told that new release after 2008 will be focused on that, so for now I`m silent. But I want to say again and again that good manual is critical for U++ successful survival in the nearest and far future - of course, not as author project but as widely used worldwide framework.
Re: CoWork buggy!? [message #15004 is a reply to message #15000] Tue, 25 March 2008 11:32 Go to previous message
Experienced Member
Mindtraveller wrote on Tue, 25 March 2008 01:23

Frankly speaking, I don`t see any errors in this code.
Documentation is kind of painful question for me, but Mirek told that new release after 2008 will be focused on that, so for now I`m silent. But I want to say again and again that good manual is critical for U++ successful survival in the nearest and far future - of course, not as author project but as widely used worldwide framework.

Shocked Sorry, it seems that you misunderstood me. This is certainly my fault because I expressed myself quite imprecisely Embarassed .

The "CoWork::Pool::Pool" code is obviously error-free.

What I wanted to say is:

I analyzed and documented the entire Ultimate++ multithreading code, "CoWork" included (albeit the MSC-related code only). In my previous posting I published a scrap of this documentation (and I'm ready to continue this if somebody really wants).

When I said "published in the hope that Mirek will correct possibly still lurking errors" I meant MY DOCUMENTATION - ***NOT*** Mirek's code.

Sorry again. I sincerely hope that Mirek himself didn't understand it the wrong way. If so, APOLOGIES Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed !

Werner
Previous Topic: IsFinished() for CoWork
Next Topic: MT on Linux?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 09:44:53 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00872 seconds