Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » U++ Developers corner » U++ infrastructure server...
U++ infrastructure server... [message #16743] Wed, 09 July 2008 14:27 Go to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Well, I am getting to the upgrade of that uvs2 server sitting on my LAN to something more powerful to run "nightly builds" etc...

Well, seems like I am finally upgrading my main desktop and will move it to this purpose. So very soon there will be Core2 CPU with 320GB HD (will add more if necessarry) a 2GB ram available for the task.

Now the question is what exactly to install.

Basic idea is that U++ core developers should have sufficient access to this machine to work with all release and testing scripts. I am now thinking about single "upp" user with SSH keys...

We will need Ubuntu32, Ubuntu64 and Win32 environments. The question of course is how.

Win32 IMO can be quite well managed using Wine. Anyway, the problem still is 32/64.

IMO the options are VMs (this would also allow having XP installed.. but the question is how it should be remotely managed) or chroot.

In any case, the base system will be Ubuntu 64 most likely.

Thoughts?

Mirek
Re: U++ infrastructure server... [message #16746 is a reply to message #16743] Wed, 09 July 2008 17:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mdelfede is currently offline  mdelfede
Ultimate Contributor
I think (thought I must test it, but) that it's possible to build 32 bit upp on ubuntu 64 bit.
It should be possible because, for example, wine is 32 bit and it can be built on 64, given needed libraries are installed.
So, one problem should go away Smile
BTW, you can even run upp 32 bit on 64 bit machine, if you've got the needed 32 bit libs installed.
The opposite (building for 64 bit on 32) if possible it's quite more difficult.

For windows builds, I think with wine we wouldn't have problems neither. You can make a batch file and run with wine through cmd.exe (or command.com). Easy task too... I'm using wine quite a lot for autocad and I can set it up well.

About access to server, you could setup also a per-developer username/password, and limit access to sensible stuff just when needed. It sounds paranoid, maybe, but for my experience more harm can come by mistakes than by viruses/malware Smile
With acl you can fine-tune user access on server, even it's not too simple to setup.... but the setup is just once.
With that way you could also separate docs access from main three access, giving more users the ability to contribute to documentation without leaving code access open to all.

Ciao

Max

Re: U++ infrastructure server... [message #16747 is a reply to message #16746] Wed, 09 July 2008 18:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
captainc is currently offline  captainc
Experienced Member
While I'm not an official Upp developer, I suggest the use of VMs. I have built Upp and Upp apps with great success using Windows XP in a VirtualBox VM with Ubuntu as the Host. Compilation speeds are close to native. The only snag is that the VM only allows for using a single core per operating system. Other VMs might be able to take advantage of multi-core processors. In any case, this won't be an issue if you have multiple VMs running, which would then be able to utilize the dual-core processor.

VirtualBox has the fastest VM solution I have seen when using a UI. It beats the pants off of VMWare for this, but I believe a Xen like solution would be best if you didn't use the desktop UI capabilities.

On a final note, I have Vista 64-bit running on one machine and a 20mbit/5mbit internet connection. I would not be opposed to setting something up if you require a build for Vista 64 platform.
Re: U++ infrastructure server... [message #16749 is a reply to message #16747] Wed, 09 July 2008 19:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mdelfede is currently offline  mdelfede
Ultimate Contributor
captainc wrote on Wed, 09 July 2008 18:20

While I'm not an official Upp developer, I suggest the use of VMs. I have built Upp and Upp apps with great success using Windows XP in a VirtualBox VM with Ubuntu as the Host. Compilation speeds are close to native.

I've been using vmware on ubuntu host for about 1.5 years, after the *very last* virus attack on win xp... and I was very happy with it too.
But, it does one caveat... You must assign a ram size to the machine, which is locked by it (AFAIK...).
In particulaw with windoze guests, it becomes quickly memory hungry.

Quote:

The only snag is that the VM only allows for using a single core per operating system. Other VMs might be able to take advantage of multi-core processors. In any case, this won't be an issue if you have multiple VMs running, which would then be able to utilize the dual-core processor.

VmWare can use all processors on a single machine... but I agree that it's not the most important stuff, in particular with a build server. You don't need a lightning speed for building, IMO.

Quote:

VirtualBox has the fastest VM solution I have seen when using a UI. It beats the pants off of VMWare for this, but I believe a Xen like solution would be best if you didn't use the desktop UI capabilities.

On a final note, I have Vista 64-bit running on one machine and a 20mbit/5mbit internet connection. I would not be opposed to setting something up if you require a build for Vista 64 platform.

I'm using wine since I could run autocad on it, so by now I can see the difference.... and wine is usually a bit faster (and less memory hungry) than VM.
But you touched the *only* true caveat of wine... It's limited to 32 bit windows apps. So, no build for 64 bit on it...

Max
Re: U++ infrastructure server... [message #16755 is a reply to message #16749] Wed, 09 July 2008 22:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mezise is currently offline  mezise
VMs will be better for build platform if MacOS and other operating systems are meant to be supported by Upp.
Re: U++ infrastructure server... [message #16756 is a reply to message #16749] Wed, 09 July 2008 22:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
mdelfede wrote on Wed, 09 July 2008 13:31

VmWare can use all processors on a single machine... but I agree that it's not the most important stuff, in particular with a build server. You don't need a lightning speed for building, IMO.

It might be important for unit testing.

Mirek
Re: U++ infrastructure server... [message #16761 is a reply to message #16756] Thu, 10 July 2008 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
luzr wrote on Wed, 09 July 2008 22:35

Mirek

It's just game of words as the technology is pretty much the same, but you mean automated tests, right?
Because unit tests, if they should be run after each build after every little change, they have to take 2-5seconds at most (I'm usually around 0.1s to 0.5s in my small projects) to not make you sad. Usually I can cover 100% of code with O(1) and O(small N) tests, and any thorough O(n) and more tests I move into automated application tests, which I don't run after every build like Unit tests. Those I run only when I did finish some step of development.

Anyway, if the tests are not written to use multi-core, they will not benefit from it anyway. And the easiest way to use multi-core is to run multiple single core tests at the same time. If we assign each platform single core (and I think you will sooner run out of cores, than out of platforms Smile), I think the overall performance will be ok. Even if some core will be bored occasionally.
Re: U++ infrastructure server... [message #16770 is a reply to message #16761] Thu, 10 July 2008 15:07 Go to previous message
Ultimate Member
mr_ped wrote on Thu, 10 July 2008 04:56

luzr wrote on Wed, 09 July 2008 22:35

Mirek

It's just game of words as the technology is pretty much the same, but you mean automated tests, right?
Because unit tests, if they should be run after each build after every little change, they have to take 2-5seconds at most (I'm usually around 0.1s to 0.5s in my small projects) to not make you sad. Usually I can cover 100% of code with O(1) and O(small N) tests, and any thorough O(n) and more tests I move into automated application tests, which I don't run after every build like Unit tests. Those I run only when I did finish some step of development.

Anyway, if the tests are not written to use multi-core, they will not benefit from it anyway. And the easiest way to use multi-core is to run multiple single core tests at the same time. If we assign each platform single core (and I think you will sooner run out of cores, than out of platforms Smile), I think the overall performance will be ok. Even if some core will be bored occasionally.

Yep, automated testing.

Anyway, the real point is that we are about to test MT stuff too. Means we need multithreaded tests that really run on multiple cores. Some bugs are revealed only this way.

Mirek
Previous Topic: Documentation and Topic++
Next Topic: Assist++ future
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 08:56:51 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01107 seconds