Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » U++ Developers corner » Assist - rescan code vs caching in files....
Assist - rescan code vs caching in files.... [message #18093] Wed, 10 September 2008 11:48 Go to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Seeking for advice Smile

Assist++ has quite complex mechanism that stores parsed information into files (in 'cfg' directory) when theide exists and reloads it from there on theide start.

Recently I have started to worry if this is a good idea.

Well, the primary reason to worry is that the mechanism for storing and retrieving is quite complex and fragile.

Maybe it would be OK to rescan the code each time theide starts?

So the question is:

- if you load "ide" package, how long it takes initial start sequence (most of it is spent loading assist++ from file cache).

- can you compare this to invoking "Assist/Rescan code"?

Mirek
Re: Assist - rescan code vs caching in files.... [message #18094 is a reply to message #18093] Wed, 10 September 2008 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
First time opening "ide" package:
14s (src files uncached, and probably not scanned)
Rescan:
4s (since here src files are probably cached by OS in RAM)
Exit+Reopen IDE:
1s
Rescan:
4s

BTW, what about full rescan after start of IDE in the background?
In case that one will take around 10-30s even with more intelligent parser, I think that's perfectly acceptable solution, I usually stare into the source files for more than a minute or two before I catch up where I left and start to write something.

edit: the important thing is to let me "stare" at them, that's the reason why it should run in background. The current modal foreground rescan or load after opening package annoys me. It's just 1-5s, but can be zero in ideal world of background scanning Smile.

[Updated on: Wed, 10 September 2008 12:13]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Assist - rescan code vs caching in files.... [message #18095 is a reply to message #18094] Wed, 10 September 2008 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
mr_ped wrote on Wed, 10 September 2008 06:09

BTW, what about full rescan after start of IDE in the background?

Well, I am afraid that making more inteligent caching system is much easier than scanning in background Wink

Moreover, I believe that in process of "staring", you would soon start requiring class browser....

Quote:

edit: the important thing is to let me "stare" at them, that's the reason why it should run in background. The current modal foreground rescan or load after opening package annoys me. It's just 1-5s, but can be zero in ideal world of background scanning Smile.

Well, I think I will fix the caching Smile

Mirek
Re: Assist - rescan code vs caching in files.... [message #18097 is a reply to message #18093] Wed, 10 September 2008 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kodos is currently offline  kodos
Experienced Member
I don't know if it is worth to put an effort in the caching. After all you don't open a project every 5 minutes. And with the caching there could be problems with updates of the code from outside TheIDE, couldn't there?
Re: Assist - rescan code vs caching in files.... [message #18100 is a reply to message #18097] Wed, 10 September 2008 14:17 Go to previous message
Ultimate Member
kodos wrote on Wed, 10 September 2008 07:17

I don't know if it is worth to put an effort in the caching. After all you don't open a project every 5 minutes. And with the caching there could be problems with updates of the code from outside TheIDE, couldn't there?

Not really. Compared to other assist++ problems, this one is trivial Smile

Mirek
Previous Topic: Topic++ upgrade status
Next Topic: U++ talk
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 13:40:57 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01409 seconds