FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » UppHub » Added SysExec package
Added SysExec package [message #16047] Sun, 25 May 2008 09:49 Go to next message
mdelfede is currently offline  mdelfede
Ultimate Contributor
A small package with some SysExec() functions to launch external commands and gather their output and error data.
Not the state of the art, but handy sometimes Smile

The provided functions are :

bool SysExec(String const &command, String const &args, const VectorMap<String, String> &Environ, String &OutStr, String &ErrStr);
bool SysExec(String const &command, String const &args, String &OutStr, String &ErrStr);
bool SysExec(String const &command, String const &args, const VectorMap<String, String> &Environ, String &OutStr);
bool SysExec(String const &command, String const &args, String &OutStr);
bool SysExec(String const &command, String const &args);

Parameters are :

command         : command executable name
args            : a line of arguments, space separated
Environ         : a VectorMap containing environment data to pass
OutStr          : a reference to a string that will contain command output
ErrStr          : a reference to a string that will contain command error output

Commands will return true on success, false otherwise.

Caveats :

1- it will block application if launched command hangs
2- no timeout provided... but could be easily added
3- no mean to have some 'progress' indication of running app, but could be easily added

Path will be searched for command, so a complete path is not necessary.
It "should" work on windows too, but I didn't test it yet.

Ciao

Max

[Updated on: Sun, 25 May 2008 09:50]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Added SysExec package [message #17376 is a reply to message #16047] Sat, 09 August 2008 22:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
Hello mdelfede

Thank you for your functions. I am really interested in them plus:
- A version that could also write characters to the command
- A function to open a file looking first for the right program

For the first options I have found in the forums these two posts:

- http://www.ultimatepp.org/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=160 18&&srch=CreateHostRunDir#msg_16018

StringStream ss;

Ide id;
id.CreateHostRunDir()->Execute("valgrind --help", ss);

String txt = ss;

- http://www.ultimatepp.org/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=156 20&&srch=StartProcess#msg_15620

String ret; // <-- Added this line
String cmdline = "ping -n 3 192.168.0.1";
One<SlaveProcess> sp = startprocess(cmdline);
while(sp->IsRunning()){
Sleep(200);
sp->Read(ret); // <-- Added this line
}
return sp->GetExitCode();

(The first post is from you)

It seems inside "The Ide" are the ideas to complete SysExec(). Please tell me were you are in their developing and if I can help to have them read as soon as possible.

Best regards

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Added SysExec package [message #18899 is a reply to message #17376] Fri, 31 October 2008 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mindtraveller is currently offline  Mindtraveller
Experienced Contributor

Is it OK that SysExec("xterm") is successful, but SysExec("gzip") fails?

[Updated on: Fri, 31 October 2008 09:30]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Added SysExec package [message #18921 is a reply to message #18899] Fri, 31 October 2008 19:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Mindtraveller wrote on Fri, 31 October 2008 09:30

Uhmmmm... it shouldn't fail, but it depends on whether gzip is inside path. Can you try the Error variant and look at the resulting string ?

Max

For Kodo : sorry, I didn't notice your post on August Sad
I made SysExec just because I needed one without having to link ide (CreateHostRunDir and so needs ide code....) and because I think that some system calls are handy even for non gui apps.
I haven't developed them anymore, but if you want to add some features you're wellcome ! Just on these days I needed some way to call an external app redirecting input and output streams, and having some way for adding a Progress bar to it....

Max
Re: Added SysExec package [message #18924 is a reply to message #16047] Fri, 31 October 2008 23:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
Sorry mdelfede

From then I have done some functions. Some of them are in http://www.ultimatepp.org/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=3942& amp;.

Between them I have included these functions:

// LaunchFile("Sheet.xls") will open the file with the program asigned by default to open xls files
bool LaunchFile(const String& file);

// LaunchCommand("mplayer myclip.avi", MyCallback) will launch the command line program with args without opening a window, and all the output will be sent to MyCallback(String &) function
int LaunchCommand(const char *cmd, void (*readCallBack)(String &));

// LaunchCommand("mplayer myclip.avi",str) will do the same but sending the output to String str
int LaunchCommand(const char *cmd, String &ret);

The LaunchCommand functions are based in the second sample code included in the August post.

I am using them extensively in funtions working with mplayer, mencoder, ffmpeg, sox and other for a program that handles video and audio (see a screenshot in the post I have included above).

These functions parse the output of the command by "readCallBack" that handles a progress bar and a command window (in the screenshot), this one just for debugging, but goes very well. The functions work well in Windows and Linux.

I want to do a higher level class to handle extern processes in a very simple way and with progress handling included.

Best regards
Koldo

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Added SysExec package [message #18933 is a reply to message #18924] Sat, 01 November 2008 15:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Very handy functions, Kodo !
Do you think we can merge them with SysExec package, or you're thinking to a new package ?

Max
Re: Added SysExec package [message #18947 is a reply to message #16047] Sun, 02 November 2008 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
Hello Max

In fact the "LaunchCommand" functions have nothing new as they are fully based in <usvn/SlaveProcess.h>, class LocalProcess.

As they handle command line functions I would like them to:
- Return a String with all the output
- Use a callback function that will get Strings from the command output (possibly line by line as command functions usually output this way). Gui version will have ProcessEvents() inside so that the program would be responsive.
- Now both wait for the command to end, so there could be other with a callback that gets a String and a handle to check if the command has ended, to parse the String and send input to the command or to kill the command. These callback functions would be called from a Timer.
- Have the possibility of a command window for debugging

LaunchFile and GetExtExecutable (this one gets the default program that opens the provided extension) are different, but now they have not clear location (see post http://www.ultimatepp.org/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=189 16&#msg_18916).

I do not have any preferences as I am here only from August (but I will be here many time), so you have much more experience about how to organize Upp and to declare the functions. I will arrange them were you prefer.

Best regards
Koldo (with "l") Smile

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Added SysExec package [message #18970 is a reply to message #18947] Sun, 02 November 2008 20:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Well.... maybe it would be handy to have a Process class that encapsulates all that.... Maybe joined with my old good SysExec.
There's also something in my new Signal class that would belong to process handling....

I see clearly 2 new classes to arrange all that stuffs.
One for process handling, like stuffs that are now in SysExec and your execute stuffs, one for Signals, we should look for some way of signaling for windows too.... The third is already there, I see SystemLog stuffs to belong to the same group.
So :

Signal()
SystemLog()
Process()

In Process I'd put your code and the part of my Signal() stuff that checks/handles other app's instances.
I'd prefere these classes to not depend on Usvn, either....

Ciao

Max
Re: Added SysExec package [message #18998 is a reply to message #16047] Mon, 03 November 2008 17:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
Hello Max

Very interesting.
Question: What is Signal() and SystemLog()?
Could also send a draft of the declaration of these classes with a small explanation per method and variable, at least their "public:" side?

Best regards
Koldo

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Added SysExec package [message #19016 is a reply to message #18998] Wed, 05 November 2008 22:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Hy Koido!

Both Signal and SystemLog classes are documented in Bazaar.
Signal is just for Linux, maybe we could find some kind of inter process signaling for windows also...

Max
Re: Added SysExec package [message #19022 is a reply to message #19016] Thu, 06 November 2008 00:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
captainc is currently offline  captainc
Experienced Member
I've used this for signals on Windows before:

#include <signal.h>
bool run=true;
void sighandler(int sig)
{
    run=false;
};
CONSOLE_APP_MAIN
{
    signal(SIGABRT, sighandler); // register signal, if it is hit, call sighandler function
    signal(SIGINT, sighandler);
    signal(SIGTERM, sighandler);

while(run)
    { 
         // my code logic
    }
}

Maybe provide a wrapper around singal.h or look at it's source, use it as a model, and modify to suit Upp.
Re: Added SysExec package [message #19029 is a reply to message #19022] Thu, 06 November 2008 15:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
captainc wrote on Thu, 06 November 2008 00:38

I've used this for signals on Windows before:

#include <signal.h>
bool run=true;
void sighandler(int sig)
{
    run=false;
};
CONSOLE_APP_MAIN
{
    signal(SIGABRT, sighandler); // register signal, if it is hit, call sighandler function
    signal(SIGINT, sighandler);
    signal(SIGTERM, sighandler);

while(run)
    { 
         // my code logic
    }
}

Maybe provide a wrapper around singal.h or look at it's source, use it as a model, and modify to suit Upp.

Well, very interesting... I didn't know Windows provided quite a similar signal mechanism as Posix.
I could try to make it fit to my Signals package.....

Max

Re: Added SysExec package [message #19030 is a reply to message #18921] Thu, 06 November 2008 16:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mindtraveller is currently offline  Mindtraveller
Experienced Contributor

mdelfede wrote on Fri, 31 October 2008 21:04

Mindtraveller wrote on Fri, 31 October 2008 09:30

Uhmmmm... it shouldn't fail, but it depends on whether gzip is inside path. Can you try the Error variant and look at the resulting string ?

I tried and both out and error strings were empty. It worked only when I specified exact path to gzip. It is strange because in xterm, gzip is called (found I mean) without specifying exact path.
Re: Added SysExec package [message #19031 is a reply to message #16047] Thu, 06 November 2008 18:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
Hello Max

Sorry!. I have readed the SystemLog and SystemLogTest and I do not understand Signal() and SystemLog().

Also I would need rather urgently a SysExec version that instead of waiting for the extern program to end and returning a String with the output, it would let not to stop the main program and retrieve the output periodically to the main program in any way.

Best regards
Koldo (with "l" (not "i")) Twisted Evil

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Added SysExec package [message #19087 is a reply to message #19031] Tue, 11 November 2008 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
koldo wrote on Thu, 06 November 2008 18:00

Hello Max

Sorry!. I have readed the SystemLog and SystemLogTest and I do not understand Signal() and SystemLog().

Also I would need rather urgently a SysExec version that instead of waiting for the extern program to end and returning a String with the output, it would let not to stop the main program and retrieve the output periodically to the main program in any way.

Best regards
Koldo (with "l" (not "i")) Twisted Evil

Hi koLdo Smile

I've found an idea with pipes to have a sysexec as you like... maybe next days I'll code it.
It would also be useful to have some progress indication of app running.

About SystemLog, there are some docs inside... did you see them ?

Max
Re: Added SysExec package [message #19121 is a reply to message #16047] Thu, 13 November 2008 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
Hello Max

It is Ok. SystemLog is useful for me and I will use it in the Sys functions I am doing now.
One question: How to send the log to certain file?

I have tried SysExec but compiling with MSC9 I get a Window error when executing
result = _spawnvpe(_P_WAIT, command, argv, envv);

with this:
"Microsoft Visual C++ Debug Library. Program: ... File: ..\spawnvpe.c Line: 84 Expression: **argv != _T('\0') ...

The program is:

String out;
SysExec("mencoder", "", out);

Compiling with MinGW the program works well.

Previously I had to change
bool SysExec(String const &command, String const &args, String OutStr)
{
	String ErrStr;
	return SysExec(command, args, Environment(), OutStr, ErrStr);

}
as the third argument was declared in the SysExec.h file as "String &OutStr".

Ah!, I have used SVN 625.

Best regards
Koldo

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Added SysExec package [message #19135 is a reply to message #19121] Fri, 14 November 2008 16:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
koldo wrote on Thu, 13 November 2008 12:23

Hello Max

It is Ok. SystemLog is useful for me and I will use it in the Sys functions I am doing now.
One question: How to send the log to certain file?

I have tried SysExec but compiling with MSC9 I get a Window error when executing
result = _spawnvpe(_P_WAIT, command, argv, envv);

with this:
"Microsoft Visual C++ Debug Library. Program: ... File: ..\spawnvpe.c Line: 84 Expression: **argv != _T('\0') ...

The program is:

String out;
SysExec("mencoder", "", out);

Compiling with MinGW the program works well.

Previously I had to change
{
	String ErrStr;

}
as the third argument was declared in the SysExec.h file as "String &OutStr".

Ah!, I have used SVN 625.

Best regards
Koldo

It must be &OutStr, as is an output parameter, it gather execution command output. If you set without the &, it's passed as a value parameter.....

Max
Re: Added SysExec package [message #19192 is a reply to message #19135] Wed, 19 November 2008 08:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
Sorry Max

I did the change in the declaration as in SysExec.cpp it is defined as:
Quote:

{
String ErrStr;

} // END SysExec()

Best regards
Koldo

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Added SysExec package [message #19194 is a reply to message #19192] Wed, 19 November 2008 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
koldo wrote on Wed, 19 November 2008 08:05

Sorry Max

I did the change in the declaration as in SysExec.cpp it is defined as:
Quote:

{
String ErrStr;

} // END SysExec()

Best regards
Koldo

It was my mistake... The correct one is
bool SysExec(String const &command, String const &args, String &OutStr)

Ciao

Max
Re: Added SysExec package [message #30764 is a reply to message #19194] Fri, 21 January 2011 00:13 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Ultimate Contributor
New functions to SysExec package (they were needed for Updater one) :

SysStart() series, starts an app without waiting for its completion

SysExecAdmin() series starts an app as the root user (linux) or admin user (windows) waiting for its completion. On linux you must provide a password, on windows it shows the security dialog before proceeding.
By now, the windows version DON'T wait for completion, I must still finish it

SysStartAdmin() same as above, don't wait for completion.

SysExecUser()
SysStartUser()

Same as above, for a given user (linux). On windows, they fall back to SysExec() and SysStart().

The most important are the xxxAdmin() functions, which allow to start administrative tasks on Vista/Windows7 too.
Latest 2 allows app to go back to normal user on Linux; on windows I don't know if it's possible.

Ciao

Max
Previous Topic: [SOLVED] Control4U_demo cannot close ?
Next Topic: Job package: A lightweight worker thread for non-blocking operations.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 20:27:34 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01287 seconds