Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » U++ Developers corner » General questions about Ultimate++
icon5.gif  General questions about Ultimate++ [message #19950] Wed, 04 February 2009 23:30 Go to next message
smartplus is currently offline  smartplus
On first glance I like Ultimate++ and it seems like a good solution for future cross-development,
so I would like to ask someone who knows and has more experience in Ultimate++ to try to answer me following questions:

1) I have read that for most widgets I can make custom skin.
Can I make the same for windows and dialogs (for example: titlebar, controlboxes, border etc.) independently on OS?
If so, does exist any help on how it is done (for example I like Gtkstyle theme for windows and other controls)?

2) Mostly I develop client/server applications with RDBMS support (MS SQL Server, Sybase, etc.).
How Ultimate++ works with these databases and does it have critical BUGs (like using sored procedures and parameters, views/querys, cursors, etc.)
Is E-SQL supported?

3) Does Ultimate++ have widget for printing and previewing reports generated from above databases?

4) Is there support for communications with serial, parallel port and USB ports?

5) What is needed for deployment application made with Ultimate++ on client PC (for example: does need some runtime files, dlls or some other)?

6) Is there some documentation for download or I must always go online for help?
Re: General questions about Ultimate++ [message #19952 is a reply to message #19950] Thu, 05 February 2009 01:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
andrei_natanael is currently offline  andrei_natanael
Experienced Member
1. You can customize every widget which have assigned a ChStyle directly. If you want to customize title bar (i.e. as Chrome do on Windows) i think that this is not possible directly as it is too tied to platform(wm create window borders on X11, on Windows it is possible to customize that[something with NC_PAINT i think]). Another option is to create border-less window and paint your title bar on it and when user click and drag your window you move the window according to new coordinates received via mouse events.

4. No.

5. On Linux/BSD/Unix the minimal requirement is to have X11 and you may compile your application with only X11 support(define NOGTK flag). If you want to have theming based on gtk+ then gtk is a requirement. On Windows if uxtheme.dll is present(XP, Vista, W7) and theme is activated then Upp create the widgets theme based on informations retrieved from uxtheme, though that is not a requirement. So, on Windows only requirements are these libraries which already exist and are the base of windows(advapi32 comdlg32 comctl32). Practically there are no requirements as Upp tend to put all requirements in one exe (static linkage).

6. press F1 in the IDE
Re: General questions about Ultimate++ [message #19954 is a reply to message #19950] Thu, 05 February 2009 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tojocky is currently offline  tojocky
Contributor

smartplus wrote on Thu, 05 February 2009 00:30

4) Is there support for communications with serial, parallel port and USB ports?

I think that this link is interesting for you!
Other c++ sources you can get from google search.

If you will find something interesting, please post to this forum!
Re: General questions about Ultimate++ [message #19955 is a reply to message #19952] Thu, 05 February 2009 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cbpporter is currently offline  cbpporter
Ultimate Contributor
Hi and welcome.

Yes, U++ is a good cross-platform toolkit. The best part for me is that it is small but powerful. It can do pretty much what I need, but does not have a huge code base like Qt for example. Sure, Qt is established and has better support, but it is also daunting in proportions and you pretty much depend on the official releases. In U++ you can dive into the code more easily (the entire library is a couple of clicks away in TheIDE and you don't need some elaborate process to recompile and deploy the library) and you can fix stuff or enhance it easily. It is also pretty modular, and you can strip out parts that are not needed if you run on system constrained by hardware.

1. Under Windows U++ will try to detect your systems theme and will do a great job (except under Vista some small animations will be missing). Under Linux, you can either link with Gtk so you get the theme from Gtk (using something like QtCurve for KDE and one that I don't remember it's name under Gnome) will allow for an uniform desktop experience, with KDE, Gnome, and U++ looking and feeling the same. Or you can compile without Gtk support and you will have a default Windows skin under Linux. This won't look that consistent, unless you set all the other themes to Redmond or something, but you will no longer have Gtk and it's libraries as dependencies.

But you can always write your own theme. Widgets are skinable one at a time and these skins will be portable under both Windows and Linux. Currently on some native skin/custom skin combination there can be a bug where skins don't look exactly pixel perfect across platforms, but the bug is rare, not really visible and probably will get fixed sometime.

There is also a very beta skin called Skulpture (it is under development under KDE too) which I should really get to work and get it out of beta stage.

2. There is pretty good support for SQL interaction. The focus is more on mapping SQL statements to C++ syntax, for more convenient and type safe queries. I find it quite convenient, but there is a little learning curve involved. Check out the documentation and maybe someone who uses SQL on a daily bases can give you a overview of exactly what these capabilities are.

3. I believe the package you are looking for is called Report.

6. If you build your U++ from SVN sources you will also get a better help system and some updated documentation files. U++ has usually one release/year and maybe some dev releases also, so often users will choose to use SVN versions to take advantage of improvements since last release. So if you will start to use U++ a lot you will probably have to check out SVN versions and recompile on each development machine. This is slightly inconvenient, but on the other hand recompiling only takes about 3 minutes on decent development machine. There are also occasional precompiled SVN versions announced on the forum.
Re: General questions about Ultimate++ [message #19982 is a reply to message #19950] Sat, 07 February 2009 16:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smartplus is currently offline  smartplus
Thank you all for your answers Smile Thumbs Up .

Where can I find this package called Report (I have made search but no luck)?
Re: General questions about Ultimate++ [message #20008 is a reply to message #19982] Mon, 09 February 2009 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tojocky is currently offline  tojocky
Contributor

smartplus wrote on Sat, 07 February 2009 17:19

Thank you all for your answers Smile Thumbs Up .

Where can I find this package called Report (I have made search but no luck)?

You can find a simple example in reference->Reports:
Assembly name: reference
Package name: Reports
Re: General questions about Ultimate++ [message #20150 is a reply to message #19950] Sun, 22 February 2009 06:56 Go to previous message
Infausto is currently offline  Infausto
Promising Member
about your 4º question: not directly, but always is possible use an external library (inpout32 for parallel port, etc) for that purpose and link it with your UPP application.

salute.
Previous Topic: workspace-like package
Next Topic: Runtime Linking
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 22:17:58 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03140 seconds