Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » U++ TheIDE and Library: Releases and ChangeLogs » Painter 2.0
Painter 2.0 [message #20039] Thu, 12 February 2009 17:57 Go to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
I am happy to announce that I have finished the "Painter 2.0", basically a 2D rendering system with PDF/SVG strength, this time written almost from scratch (Painter1.0 was AGG based).

I have only recycled (and optimized) the basic polygon rasterizer from AGG (which, I believe, uses FreeType rasterizer code, which has roots in LibArt) - that algorithm is really unbeatable. Kudos to Raph Levien!

The result is about 10% faster, has about 60% of original code size and, most importantly, is internally much more flexible. I believe Maxim Shemanarev has done some inferior design decisions in AGG, that is now fixed for us Smile

Mirek

[Updated on: Thu, 12 February 2009 17:58]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Painter 2.0 [message #20041 is a reply to message #20039] Thu, 12 February 2009 20:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Zardos is currently offline  Zardos
luzr wrote on Thu, 12 February 2009 17:57

The result is about 10% faster, has about 60% of original code size and, most importantly, is internally much more flexible. I believe Maxim Shemanarev has done some inferior design decisions in AGG, that is now fixed for us Smile

The code looks elegant, without any uneccesary complexity - as nearly everything in upp. A very, very valueable piece of work.

I was looking for such a thing a long time.

Thank you very much for "Painter" !

- Ralf
Re: Painter 2.0 [message #20043 is a reply to message #20041] Fri, 13 February 2009 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cbpporter is currently offline  cbpporter
Ultimate Contributor
Hmmm, looks nice and it does not have that completely unusable interface of AGG. When I used AGG I had the feeling that my entire program consisted only out of typedefs.

I haven't tested it yet, but if you claim it is 10% faster, I believe you Smile. The question is how much can it do compared to AGG? Does it do subpixel rendering and does the result have the same quality as AGG version? And can it do more fancy stuff, like using a bitmap for a stroke pattern and delivering high quality path adaption while doing it?

I ask this out of curiosity. I don't really need software HQ rendering right now, but it's good to have it at you fingertips.
Re: Painter 2.0 [message #20044 is a reply to message #20043] Fri, 13 February 2009 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
cbpporter wrote on Fri, 13 February 2009 04:03

Hmmm, looks nice and it does not have that completely unusable interface of AGG. When I used AGG I had the feeling that my entire program consisted only out of typedefs.

I haven't tested it yet, but if you claim it is 10% faster, I believe you Smile. The question is how much can it do compared to AGG? Does it do subpixel rendering and does the result have the same quality as AGG version?

AGG does not do subpixel rendering (at least AGG2.4 regular version).

Subpixel rendering is using "RGB" subpixel of LCD screen.

What AGG and Painter2.0 do is "subpixel precision" and antialiasing.

I might add subpixel rendering later, it should be quite simple (just another rendering filter Wink.

Quote:

And can it do more fancy stuff, like using a bitmap for a stroke pattern and delivering high quality path adaption while doing it?

It can use bitmap as stroke pattern, but not as stroke 'dash'.

The primary motivation was to match SVG/PDF and that is (more or less) achieved.

Quote:

I ask this out of curiosity. I don't really need software HQ rendering right now, but it's good to have it at you fingertips.

Yep. It will also solve a couple of issues with dependency on system GUI (which is not good for webservers).

Mirek
Re: Painter 2.0 [message #20047 is a reply to message #20044] Fri, 13 February 2009 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Quote:

What AGG and Painter2.0 do is "subpixel precision" and antialiasing.

Yeah, that's what I meant.
Re: Painter 2.0 [message #20052 is a reply to message #20039] Sat, 14 February 2009 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
emr84 is currently offline  emr84
Promising Member
When I tried to compile PainterExamples (on Windows XP with mingw, Debug mode) in svn 861:

Quote:

----- Painter ( GUI GCC DEBUG DEBUG_FULL BLITZ WIN32 ) (2 / 10)
BLITZ: Painter.cpp PainterPath.cpp FontWin32.cpp FontX11.cpp DrawOp.cpp Painting.cpp Math.cpp Xform2D.cpp Approximate.c
pp Stroker.cpp Dasher.cpp Transformer.cpp Interpolator.cpp Rasterizer.cpp RasterizerClip.cpp Path.cpp Context.cpp I
mage.cpp Mask.cpp Gradient.cpp RadialGradient.cpp
In file included from C:/uppsvn/out/Painter/MINGW.Debug.Debug_full.Gui\$blitz.cpp: 27:
C:\uppsvn\uppsrc\Painter\Math.cpp: In function 'Upp::Pointf Upp::Mid(const Upp::Pointf&, const Upp::Pointf&)':
C:\uppsvn\uppsrc\Painter\Math.cpp:12: error: ISO C++ says that these are ambiguous, even though the worst conversion fo
r the first is better than the worst conversion for the second:
C:\uppsvn\uppsrc/Core/Gtypes.h:148: note: candidate 1: Upp::Point_<double> Upp::operator/(Upp::Point_<double>, double)
C:\uppsvn\uppsrc/Core/Gtypes.h:148: note: candidate 2: Upp::Point_<int> Upp::operator/(Upp::Point_<int>, int)
In file included from C:/uppsvn/out/Painter/MINGW.Debug.Debug_full.Gui\$blitz.cpp: 31:
C:\uppsvn\uppsrc\Painter\Xform2D.cpp: In member function 'bool Upp::Xform2D::IsRegular() const':
C:\uppsvn\uppsrc\Painter\Xform2D.cpp:24: error: call of overloaded 'abs(double)' is ambiguous
C:\upp\mingw\include/stdlib.h:369: note: candidates are: int abs(int)
C:\uppsvn\uppsrc/Core/Core.h:484: note: Upp::int64 abs(Upp::int64)
C:\uppsvn\uppsrc\Painter\Xform2D.cpp:24: error: call of overloaded 'abs(const double&)' is ambiguous
In file included from C:/uppsvn/out/Painter/MINGW.Debug.Debug_full.Gui\$blitz.cpp: 35:
C:\uppsvn\uppsrc\Painter\Approximate.cpp: In function 'void Upp::ApproximateArc(Upp::LinearPathConsumer&, const Upp::Po
intf&, const Upp::Pointf&, double, double, double)':
C:\uppsvn\uppsrc\Painter\Approximate.cpp:78: error: call of overloaded 'abs(double)' is ambiguous
In file included from C:/uppsvn/out/Painter/MINGW.Debug.Debug_full.Gui\$blitz.cpp: 72:
C:\uppsvn\uppsrc\Painter\Path.cpp: In member function 'virtual void Upp::BufferPainter::QuadraticOp(const Upp::Pointf&,
bool)':
C:\uppsvn\uppsrc\Painter\Path.cpp:73: error: ISO C++ says that these are ambiguous, even though the worst conversion fo
C:\uppsvn\uppsrc/Core/Gtypes.h:146: note: candidate 1: Upp::Point_<double> Upp::operator*(double, Upp::Point_<double>)
C:\uppsvn\uppsrc/Core/Gtypes.h:146: note: candidate 2: Upp::Point_<int> Upp::operator*(int, Upp::Point_<int>)
C:\uppsvn\uppsrc\Painter\Path.cpp: In member function 'virtual void Upp::BufferPainter::CubicOp(const Upp::Pointf&, con
st Upp::Pointf&, bool)':
C:\uppsvn\uppsrc\Painter\Path.cpp:87: error: ISO C++ says that these are ambiguous, even though the worst conversion fo
C:\uppsvn\uppsrc/Core/Gtypes.h:146: note: candidate 1: Upp::Point_<double> Upp::operator*(double, Upp::Point_<double>)
C:\uppsvn\uppsrc/Core/Gtypes.h:146: note: candidate 2: Upp::Point_<int> Upp::operator*(int, Upp::Point_<int>)
Fillers.cpp
Render.cpp
PaintPainting.icpp
Painter: 24 file(s) built in (0:15.37), 640 msecs / file, duration = 16047 msecs

There were errors. (2:43.95)

Re: Painter 2.0 [message #20059 is a reply to message #20052] Sun, 15 February 2009 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Well, I have just spend a hour fixing Painter to work in Linux (well, rather in GCC).

Should be OK by now.

Mirek
Re: Painter 2.0 [message #20060 is a reply to message #20039] Sun, 15 February 2009 15:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kodos is currently offline  kodos
Experienced Member
I took a quick look at painter and I have to say: wow!
I think I have to ditch cairo, and use painter because it's really fast, and the code is quite small compared to cairo Wink

Good work!
Re: Painter 2.0 [message #20085 is a reply to message #20059] Mon, 16 February 2009 23:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
emr84 is currently offline  emr84
Promising Member
luzr wrote on Sun, 15 February 2009 11:13

Well, I have just spend a hour fixing Painter to work in Linux (well, rather in GCC).

Should be OK by now.

Mirek

Now it works!! Thanks!! Smile
Re: Painter 2.0 [message #20091 is a reply to message #20039] Tue, 17 February 2009 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tom1
Senior Contributor
Hi Mirek,

Painter 2.0 was a welcome enhancement. Thank you!

I recall you were earlier referring to a future CoreDraw and more. Could you outline the future you have planned for Draw and Painter interfaces?

As I understand it, currently the Draw interface can be used to render graphics on screen, images and printer using the hardware accelerated graphics of the system where available.

Now, the Painter interface can be used to render graphics on ImageBuffers without hardware acceleration.

Is there a plan to create a Painter interface for Windows GDI and X11 accelerated graphics? How about for printing on Linux or BSD?

// Tom
Re: Painter 2.0 [message #20094 is a reply to message #20091] Tue, 17 February 2009 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Tom1 wrote on Tue, 17 February 2009 04:35

Hi Mirek,

Painter 2.0 was a welcome enhancement. Thank you!

I recall you were earlier referring to a future CoreDraw and more. Could you outline the future you have planned for Draw and Painter interfaces?

Interfaces stay (with minor improvements / fixes).

The goal of CoreDraw is to separate Draw from sytem. The main target is webserver like apps (which need graphics, in form of e.g. .png, but cannot use X11).

Quote:

As I understand it, currently the Draw interface can be used to render graphics on screen, images and printer using the hardware accelerated graphics of the system where available.

Yes.

Quote:

Now, the Painter interface can be used to render graphics on ImageBuffers without hardware acceleration.

Yes, but I think people are generally puttin too much emphasis on "hardware acceleration". 2D works quite well (and in fact, in some cases even faster) without HW. MacOS X since recently was using only sw rendering of 2D graphics and nobody complained...

Quote:

Is there a plan to create a Painter interface for Windows GDI and X11 accelerated graphics?

No, does not make sense. WinGDI and X11 are not good enough.

In theory, we could consider OpenGL / DirectDraw...

Quote:

How about for printing on Linux or BSD?
// Tom

AFAIK, works.

Mirek
Re: Painter 2.0 [message #20095 is a reply to message #20094] Tue, 17 February 2009 13:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
And how do you intend to separate the use of Draw (with Win32/X11) from Painter. In some setups (servers) I would like to have completely controlled and self contained software rendering for handling graphics, but I would like the same graphics handled by the native platform API in other more desktop centric solutions.

On the other hand, some years ago I had a self written library for graphics quite similar to Painter (but without subpixel precision) which was used to solve the terrible inconsistencies between different versions of Windows, and also was considerably more powerful. This library was used extensively and while only doing software rendering it had very good performance (I could never replicate the same methods under U++ since single allocation bitmaps are so difficult to handle). So theoretically a Painter based solution could be usable in desktop environment. So maybe a single interface is in order, which handles the common denominator of both Draw and Painter and which can choose it's backend.
Re: Painter 2.0 [message #20098 is a reply to message #20095] Tue, 17 February 2009 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
cbpporter wrote on Tue, 17 February 2009 07:39

So maybe a single interface is in order, which handles the common denominator of both Draw and Painter and which can choose it's backend.

Painter implements Draw. That IMO is as far as you can get.

To make things clear: Draw has to be there because DrawText, DrawImage (single image many times) and DrawRect are HW accelerated. Also, they are enough to create GUI (e.g. CtrlLib only uses these 3 methods). Also worth noting is that DrawText is using system font renderer - rendering fonts any other way would make your app to look inconsistent with the rest of OS.

If you are about to create some complex graphics, use Painter and use Draw to put the resulting image on the screen. (And to paint to Painter, you can use any routine that accepts Draw&, e.g. RichText works in with Painter).

Mirek
Re: Painter 2.0 [message #20109 is a reply to message #20098] Wed, 18 February 2009 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Sorry if I'm missing something, but how can you use Painter when X libs are not available, if Painter inherits from Draw and Draw can't be built without those libs.

Or is this only a solution for HQ drawings, without solving the platform GUI lib dependency problem?
Re: Painter 2.0 [message #20110 is a reply to message #20109] Wed, 18 February 2009 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
cbpporter wrote on Wed, 18 February 2009 07:44

Sorry if I'm missing something, but how can you use Painter when X libs are not available, if Painter inherits from Draw and Draw can't be built without those libs.

That is why we need DrawCore.... We need abstract "Draw" with no Xlib dependencies.

The, in "Draw" there will be platform Draw derived class that is then used in GUI widgets.

Mirek
Re: Painter 2.0 [message #20111 is a reply to message #20110] Wed, 18 February 2009 16:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
luzr wrote on Wed, 18 February 2009 08:47

cbpporter wrote on Wed, 18 February 2009 07:44

That is why we need DrawCore.... We need abstract "Draw" with no Xlib dependencies.

The, in "Draw" there will be platform Draw derived class that is then used in GUI widgets.

Mirek

Thinking about the issue more, I guess the final solution will to move "GuiDraw" from Draw to CtrlCore, leaving Draw independent from X11 libs.

Of course, we will still have to handle text metrics - but fontconfig and freetype should fill the gap, I hope...

Mirek
Re: Painter 2.0 [message #20241 is a reply to message #20111] Tue, 03 March 2009 23:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mindtraveller is currently offline  Mindtraveller
Experienced Contributor

Just a few words about Painter after a little using it.

First of all, big thanks to U++ authors. Antialising was jusr the thing I was looking for some applications. This makes visualization really eye-candy in a number of cases. Very useful thing, thanks!

Second, I`ve found very little bug in PainterExample when tested it with BackPaint:
//lines 84-85 @ main.cpp:
		for(int y = 0; y + 32 < sz.cy; y += 32)
			for(int x = 0; x + 32 < sz.cx; x += 32)

//should be changed to 
		for(int y = 0; y < sz.cy; y += 32)
			for(int x = 0; x < sz.cx; x += 32)

Third, one little remark about Subpixel antialiasing mode. This makes lines look better but text looks too blurry, especially middle-sized. It`s bad for eyes IMO. So when one draws any complex things with good (subpixel) quality - it looks like one needs to split drawing in two stages. One for text (simple AA), and second for geometry (subpixel AA). This looks too complex.
These are just my thoughts and I`m not a professional in subpixel AA applied to fonts, so I may be wrong of course. A kind of user`s point of view. Smile
Re: Painter 2.0 [message #20278 is a reply to message #20241] Fri, 06 March 2009 17:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Small update:

- I have optimized *generic* text drawing, average speedup about 50%

- I have added "BeginOnPath" command which transforms coordinate system to "lay" on current path. Can be used to e.g. render text on curve or to place arrow markers to lines.
Re: Painter 2.0 [message #20443 is a reply to message #20278] Wed, 18 March 2009 23:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mindtraveller is currently offline  Mindtraveller
Experienced Contributor

As there`s no special "Painter" forum (hope we`ll have one), I post my little proposal here. It is adopted from one of my recent Painter etudes.

//Rectangle with rounded corners
Painter & Painter::Rectangle(double x, double y, double cx, double cy, double r)
{
	ASSERT(r >= 0.);
	if (cx < 0.) {x+=cx; cx=-cx;}
	if (cy < 0.) {y+=cy; cy=-cy;}

Move(x+r,y)
	.Arc(x+r,y+r,r,r,-M_PI/2.,-M_PI/2.)
	.Line(x, y+cy-r)
	.Arc(x+r,y+cy-r,r,r,M_PI,-M_PI/2.)
	.Line(x+cx-r, y+cy)
	.Arc(x+cx-r,y+cy-r,r,r,M_PI/2,-M_PI/2.)
	.Line(x+cx, y+r)
	.Arc(x+cx-r,y+r,r,r,0.,-M_PI/2.)
	.Line(x+r, y);
}

[Updated on: Wed, 18 March 2009 23:38]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Painter 2.0 [message #20448 is a reply to message #20443] Thu, 19 March 2009 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Ultimate Member
Thanks, adopted as RoundedRectangle.

Mirek
Previous Topic: ide: Compare with file, SVN history
Next Topic: MT
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 23:37:05 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01480 seconds