Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: Other Features Wishlist and/or Bugs » why cant i edit an image a second time?
why cant i edit an image a second time? [message #20177] Tue, 24 February 2009 02:47 Go to next message
abductee is currently offline  abductee
Promising Member
hi guys...
its been a while...
anyway. i'm back and i played a little bit around.
so, my question is this:
in the image-editor or layout-editor:
once i have layouted something or created an image and compiled
i only get to see the preprocessed stuff. the only workaround is to restart theide. there seems to be no obvious neither obscure way to edit an image twice.

halp! its frustrating.

/abductee

Re: why cant i edit an image a second time? [message #20181 is a reply to message #20177] Tue, 24 February 2009 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cbpporter is currently offline  cbpporter
Ultimate Contributor
Ctrl-T is the default key to change between representations for both image editor and layout designer. If you run your application while the image editor or layout designer is in an active tab they will automatically be changed to the text representation to allow debugging. So press Ctr-T or do as I do: I always switch the tab to one containing source code.

On the other hand, default switching to text representation should be disabled IMO. Average users will not care about debugging image or layout macros, and the issue with users not knowing about Ctrl-T comes up every one or two months. Or at least a popup the first time this happens, informing the user and having a check box with “do not show this again”.
Re: why cant i edit an image a second time? [message #20183 is a reply to message #20177] Tue, 24 February 2009 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member
THANKS!

that helps. guys, i really don't want to be rude or so...
i really love the work you're doing. but there are a lot of usuability issiues within this project.
i tried (when i was here in 2007) to convonce some people to do a bit of stuff in that direction.
even made a wiki to post stuff in, and wrote down my ideas as best as i could.
( see http://www.abductee.org/wiki/index.php?title=Context-based_C omment_Visibility or http://www.abductee.org/wiki/index.php?title=TheIDE_Highligh ting )

anyway, my point is:
you're all doing fantastic work here, but small things like not knowing "Ctrl+T" produce so huge levels of frustration in your user communtiy especialy at the entry level. maybe the time is right to look into usuability side a bit more again.

actually it would be really cool, if users could come up with their own syntax-highlighting schemes and shortcuts and so on.
but not via a hombrewn self-hacked- versions of upp that are surely out there... but how to channel this stuff right back into upp. maybe via a config-file in the buildprocess or or something similar..

so that when someone has a mod for ... lets say more "works-as-expected"-keyboard shortcuts. he/she could submit that.
and when he/she downloads the new version it comes with "the old default shortcuts" and somhwere a dialog "use shortcut-scheme myname1" or "use syntaxhighlighting/skin/whatever"-$randomcodernick"

my two cents. and thanks again.

p.s.: the high hurdles to start with upp (as in usuability-frustration) scared a couple of my friends away from upp as well.
one of them said recently to me "why are you still using that? the improvemnts you suggested two years ago are still not in there... so i don't think it will get better" :/

p.p.s: in the meantime i have written an own compiler and upp was really great for doing the ui. and with a bit of tweaking the colors where acceptable:
http://abductee.org/xdegui http://abductee.org/xdegui2
still, i don't get why the fontrendering looks so much differnt(yeah, unfortunaley as in worse Sad ), than in "normal windows"

Re: why cant i edit an image a second time? [message #20185 is a reply to message #20183] Tue, 24 February 2009 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
You're welcome!

And yes, you are right. TheIDE has a lot of usability issues. Some minor, but also a lot of major ones which I'm sure contribute to scaring people away from U++, which is a shame since it hides both TheIDE's and the toolkit's great functionality. While U++ is different and often reinvents the wheel, the end result is generally better than the original. But this is not the case for TheIDE, which defies most expectations from IDEs and also common and general Windows application expectations. People have to learn these new conventions if they are to use TheIDE successfully. While a lot could be improved, I'm afraid that the primary focus is on the toolkit, especially since TheIDE gets it's job done in the state it is. It's hard to get time for improving the somewhat impalpable notion of usability. It is not the same as witting code, where goals are clear and the algorithms start coming to you once you have aquired enough knowledge and experience. I personally don't have time for TheIDE, but sometimes I'm really tempted to take a couple of days off from work and fix two of the most annoying issues which bug me daily (the mouse wheel tab scroll bug/feautre and the really counterintuitive and convention defying way the Find/Replace dialog works).

On the other hand, TheIDE got a lot of functionality related improvements. It has auto completion which is better than CDT or older versions of Visual Studio (but it doesn't do non package related auto completion yet), and has a competent documentation system which gives similar functionality to doxygen, but is very different. This ties in with your comment related to comment visibility. Since we don't use doxygen (or a lot of comments for that matter Razz), such a feature would hardly be included. But if you have a working patch, maybe you can propose an inclusion.

As for the different font rendering, it shouldn't look any different, since U++ uses native Windows out of the box. There is just one caveat though: when supplying font sizes, while the entire Windows, Linux and printing universe uses DPI (even though using DPI on screen is 100% useless and misleading), U++ uses pixel sizes. So if you select somewhere a font of size 12, it will actually look just a little smaller than in the rest of application where you use the same font/size combination. This also effects you if you set up on windows a DPI larger than the default. While you're entire UI will scale accordingly, the scale factor is going to be slightly different yet again from the rest of applications. If you want it to look the same, there is a solution: you must convert your desired size in dots to pixels, and pass that to U++ fonts.

As for user having homegrown forks of U++, I can't give you any statistics on that. Try creating a pool if you're curious. I for one have such changes, quite a number of them, and changing version, SVN revision or installing on a new system is always a pain.

Raul
Re: why cant i edit an image a second time? [message #20188 is a reply to message #20185] Tue, 24 February 2009 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unodgs is currently offline  unodgs
Ultimate Contributor

cbpporter wrote on Tue, 24 February 2009 05:24

As for user having homegrown forks of U++, I can't give you any statistics on that. Try creating a pool if you're curious. I for one have such changes, quite a number of them, and changing version, SVN revision or installing on a new system is always a pain.

I use my version too Wink But I'll commit my changes soon (I know I told so many times Smile ). I mean here James' docking system. Finally I have more time I can spend on upp. I'm also experimenting with new tabs features. After this I would like to add searching for file in files panel. It's very hard to find anything when package has lot of files. I'd like to add sorting ability as well. I also think something like quicksearch from VS 2010 would be very cool.

What are your changes? Maybe we could add them to the main tree if they're useful.

PS: Could you release the newest Skulpture theme. I use it in my apps Smile
Re: why cant i edit an image a second time? [message #20190 is a reply to message #20188] Tue, 24 February 2009 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
unodgs wrote on Tue, 24 February 2009 13:08

What are your changes? Maybe we could add them to the main tree if they're useful.

Well every time I had an issue I reported on this forum. Sometimes there was a bug that got fixed, sometimes I got some nice tips for workarounds, but there where cases where I got left to my own devices. Every time that happened I had to do small changes. I'm running with modified tree control (actually OptionTree), xml node, label, button, edit field, menus capable of UTF16 surrogates, Unix text rendering with some substitution and and Arabic renderer which is getting very slowly better (but I'm not sure if a native speaker could read it yet and also the entire GUI should be mirrored, not just text), hacks for DPI and some deeper yet subtle changes, like eliminating windows.h and most std c and c++ library from most compilation units. If my own SVN ever dies, I'm pretty much screwed (it happened before), but now I have backups and merging for my own use is annoying but doable after the first time.

Because of the probability of inclusion being so low, I'm slowly migrating all my changes to a format where U++ sources are no longer modified, and then adding stuff is going to be as easy as including a package. But as always, I have very little time to fiddle with stuff which actually works, but is too deeply inserted in U++ core libraries for it's own good.

Quote:

PS: Could you release the newest Skulpture theme. I use it in my apps Smile

Actually, I started working on new version. It is about hallway done. It has 2 new features:
1. Incorporating visual changes from new Skulpture 0.2.2 (which looks a lot better for some widgets).
2. I no longer use image lists from TheIDE. I have a folder with pngs with a predefined name and a very simple ini file for hotspots. The idea is while I'm doing the first version, I would like other people which are quite the artists to create some nice themes, but I don't want them to have to deal with TheIDE and also write code to create the theme. New workflow is going to be Photoshop/Flash + Notepad. Also Theme code is much shorter. The only reason why it is still delayed because it's so annoying extracting all the looks from KDE4 which is the only WM capable of using the original Skulpture. But since you brought it up, I'll try to finish ASAP.

PS: Seeing the subject of this thread, I'm motivated to go through my past mails and compile a list with issues I've encountered and an updated status report for reference. I'll try to do this as soon as I have some free time, and after updated Skulpture.
Re: why cant i edit an image a second time? [message #20191 is a reply to message #20177] Tue, 24 February 2009 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member
first of all:
you where right about the fonts, i dint realize thet some of my options where not saved because i had tow instances of upp open...
(some of the brackets are green... greeen. i have cleartype enabled... sheesh) anyway.
second of all: the Skulpture thingy is a step in the right direction. the scrollbars are a bit big and the hovermenu-color blue is tooo dark. ( for my taste ) anyway, i am as a matter of fact experimenting with it:
and another question arose:
http://abductee.untergrund.net/howtopaintthisarea.jpg
:)
also: how can i prevent the active tab from beeing 2 pixels larger than the rest?

"It has auto completion which is better than CDT or older versions of Visual Studio" i hate to break this to you... but it's nowhere near 'Visual Assist' from wholetomato.(http://wholetomato.com/) they really have put the hammer down in terms of usuability. everything is where you expect it, but most of all: you are not bothered by it.
and belive me, it's really not about features. if one ore two features are missing -> no big deal. but if you have to escape from things that you do not want all the time its just frustrating. (worst example: the paperclip in word :)

as for the completion: it simply has to be on the tab key, as you are used to it from the linux-shell. you just cannot put that on two keys ( actually 4, since you have to pick the right one ) and expect people to see "how cool" the feature is.

if you, for example ave a TabCtrl named 'mtab' and type 'm' - 't'
this is the moment where a simple press on tab should be enough to get 'mtab'. instead you have to press <Ctrl>+<Space> then <VK_DOWN> and then <Return>. that are 4 keys to get 2 letters. (in practise mostly more because the highlighted classneme on the left-side makes me press <VK_RIGHT> wich messes the whole thing up becuse then i'm in the next line ... i hope you see my point.

as for the homebrew improvements:
http://abductee.org/xdegui <-- i have an won version of the CodeEditor. i use a similar technique as displayed in the CodeMetric Example to parse just in time, and then i feed back all the function names into the highlighting. so if i misspell a function name( since i do tend not to use the completion) it does not get another color. (ok, Visual Assist does it more sopisticated since it also knows 'hey this symol is not yet defined' and so on ) so yeah, this could be an improvement.

anyway: to finish up with the VisualAssist comparison:
the main point of their work seems to be not to annoy the user with to much features. and EVEN IF something pops up that you do not understand/want: if you just keep doing what you where about to do, Visual Assist dosn't interact. that sounds more complicated than it is... they simply just understand simplicity and know when to shut up, as i do now :)

/abductee.

p.s.: i still have no answer to my other posting, and i'd really like to see fonts like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helvetica or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucida_Grande in upp apps, is there really so simple way? :/

Re: why cant i edit an image a second time? [message #20193 is a reply to message #20191] Tue, 24 February 2009 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Quote:

second of all: the Skulpture thingy is a step in the right direction. the scrollbars are a bit big and the hovermenu-color blue is tooo dark. ( for my taste ) anyway, i am as a matter of fact experimenting with it:

That screenshot looks kind of wrong and based on an old Skulpture. Then again, I don't remember which version I uploaded last, my own version that I use is 99% production ready from visual point of view, but buggy under Linux. And no, unfortunately you can't paint hat area with Chameleon yet.

Quote:

also: how can i prevent the active tab from beeing 2 pixels larger than the rest?

In Skulture you can't, it's a design feature of the theme so that active tab look visually distinct. If you don't like it, you can contact the artist of the theme. I'm just porting it to U++ because I love the way it looks, and the qr-gtk bridge does a poor job of using that theme, and that still doesn't make it available under Windows.

Quote:

"It has auto completion which is better than CDT or older versions of Visual Studio" i hate to break this to you... but it's nowhere near 'Visual Assist' from wholetomato.(http://wholetomato.com/) they really have put the hammer down in terms of usuability.

Well, I did not mention Visual Assist, which is an addon for Visual Studio and absolutely mops the floor with both Visual Studio and TheIDE. But when comparing with unmodified Visual Studio, I would say TheIDE is better. Maybe you've got some macro intensive code which can confuse TheIDE.

Quote:

p.s.: i still have no answer to my other posting, and i'd really like to see fonts like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helvetica or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucida_Grande in upp apps, is there really so simple way? :/

Well you have to have a little patience. Anyway, you need to install those fonts under Windows or Linux using the standard way for that system, and U++ will be able to load them. There is no way to load a font out of a file without incorporating it in you operating systems font list.
Re: why cant i edit an image a second time? [message #20196 is a reply to message #20177] Tue, 24 February 2009 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cocob is currently offline  cocob
Experienced Member
Hello,

Yes assist++ can be ameliorated. But in my opinion, code editing defect are not blocking problems like other issues are.
From my side the three points to improve int theide are (in order of priority)

1. Better debugger integration with both GCC and MSC. Visual studio watches can be considered as a reference.

2. More flexibility with package organizer and building process to allow complex configuration ( executable using a package build as a dll, ...)

3. Visual assist style code completion Smile

cocob
Re: why cant i edit an image a second time? [message #20338 is a reply to message #20181] Thu, 12 March 2009 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
cbpporter wrote on Tue, 24 February 2009 09:30

Ctrl-T is the default key to change between representations for both image editor and layout designer. If you run your application while the image editor or layout designer is in an active tab they will automatically be changed to the text representation to allow debugging. So press Ctr-T or do as I do: I always switch the tab to one containing source code.

On the other hand, default switching to text representation should be disabled IMO. Average users will not care about debugging image or layout macros, and the issue with users not knowing about Ctrl-T comes up every one or two months. Or at least a popup the first time this happens, informing the user and having a check box with “do not show this again”.

I think that the right solution for this problem should be adding two buttons in the layout/image editor above the column lists. One for editor mode, and one for text mode. And switching to text mode would add a header with the same two buttons over the code editor. Or maybe the buttons should be on the toolbar in editor mode.
Re: why cant i edit an image a second time? [message #21323 is a reply to message #20188] Wed, 13 May 2009 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
unodgs wrote on Tue, 24 February 2009 06:08

cbpporter wrote on Tue, 24 February 2009 05:24

I use my version too Wink But I'll commit my changes soon (I know I told so many times Smile ). I mean here James' docking system.

Maybe you can commit it as branch for now...

Maybe I could work on it a bit too...

Quote:

add searching for file in files panel. It's very hard to find anything when package has lot of files.

I guess this is now ok with new navigator, right?

Mirek
Re: why cant i edit an image a second time? [message #21324 is a reply to message #20191] Wed, 13 May 2009 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
abductee wrote on Tue, 24 February 2009 07:04

as for the completion: it simply has to be on the tab key, as you are used to it from the linux-shell. you just cannot put

Just thinking: How are you going to insert '\t' then?

Mirek
Re: why cant i edit an image a second time? [message #21325 is a reply to message #20338] Wed, 13 May 2009 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrjt is currently offline  mrjt
Contributor
cbpporter wrote on Thu, 12 March 2009 12:07

cbpporter wrote on Tue, 24 February 2009 09:30

I think that the right solution for this problem should be adding two buttons in the layout/image editor above the column lists. One for editor mode, and one for text mode. And switching to text mode would add a header with the same two buttons over the code editor. Or maybe the buttons should be on the toolbar in editor mode.

I actually do use the text version of .lay fairly often. The issue here is more that TheIDE automatically switches to text mode too often IMO, I see no reason why it should do this during debugging for instance. The text version should only be visible in two situations IMO:
1) User selects text mode
2) A parsing error, in which case a prominent error should be displayed too.

What I really want is button that temporarily disables layout springs in the Layout Designed so that I can resize a window without having to reset them all!

luzr

There is already a branch for this called something like 2008.1-nv, but unodgs hasn't committed for a long time. Why are you afraid of commitment Uno? Laughing
Re: why cant i edit an image a second time? [message #21326 is a reply to message #21325] Wed, 13 May 2009 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

mrjt wrote on Wed, 13 May 2009 05:32

There is already a branch for this called something like 2008.1-nv, but unodgs hasn't committed for a long time. Why are you afraid of commitment Uno? Laughing

Because I started to do all my modification on main trunk to avoid merging. But I will move all those changes to new vision Wink so everyone could start using docking system. I just have to finish few small things.
Re: why cant i edit an image a second time? [message #21327 is a reply to message #21323] Wed, 13 May 2009 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

luzr wrote on Wed, 13 May 2009 03:53

I somehow overlookd your answer..
Yes, I'll do so - it's in acceptable stage now.
Quote:

Quote:

add searching for file in files panel. It's very hard to find anything when package has lot of files.

I guess this is now ok with new navigator, right?
Mirek

Yes and no Smile In navigator the problem is that clikcing on a file in top part of navigator dosn't activate this file. I have to click on a method from bottom part of navigator.

I was thinkg lately about navigating and this is what I do:
to find a method in current file I press CTRL-G (F2 in my ide)
to find if a method exists I use navigator.
I'm almost never intrested of listing all class methods. Code+space should show me possible options.

That is why I would remove top part of navigator with files and packages and integrate it with the bottom part. When you click at found file in navigator this file should be open. When you click on method you should be taken to this method and optionaly help in the bottom part of navigator should be open for that method (otherwise there is no bottom part).

Next to find text box I would add one more switch - to activate / deactivate class view. In class view we should have two panels - top one with class names that matches search criteria and bottom with all methods listed for this class.

Ctrl-G and Ctrl-J would just open navigator in a dialog window and with preselected filter (as it is now - global search or local) or I would even make it one with global scope.

And last thing - Alt - J should be possible with Ctrl + LMB.

Then navigation in ide would be excelent Smile

Re: why cant i edit an image a second time? [message #21328 is a reply to message #21325] Wed, 13 May 2009 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member

I actually do use the text version of .lay fairly often. The issue here is more that TheIDE automatically switches to text mode too often IMO, I see no reason why it should do this during debugging for instance.

I guess, technically, when debugger says you are at line 33 of MyApp.lay, you do not have many choices...

Mirek
Re: why cant i edit an image a second time? [message #21329 is a reply to message #21327] Wed, 13 May 2009 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
unodgs wrote on Wed, 13 May 2009 06:50

Yes and no Smile In navigator the problem is that clikcing on a file in top part of navigator dosn't activate this file. I have to click on a method from bottom part of navigator.

Double-click does.

Mirek
Re: why cant i edit an image a second time? [message #21334 is a reply to message #21328] Wed, 13 May 2009 17:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrjt is currently offline  mrjt
Contributor
luzr wrote on Wed, 13 May 2009 12:32

I actually do use the text version of .lay fairly often. The issue here is more that TheIDE automatically switches to text mode too often IMO, I see no reason why it should do this during debugging for instance.

I guess, technically, when debugger says you are at line 33 of MyApp.lay, you do not have many choices...

Mirek

That's not really what I meant, as that would be a very rare scenario.

What I mean is that when the project is executing it is impossible to use layout designer or image editor. I think this is where the confusion comes from since it is the only time users are likely to see the text version unless they know about the switching option.

In particular not being able to use the Layout Designer while the app is running is a pain, as you sometimes notice that a small tweak is necessary but can't use the designer until you've closed the app.

And since we're on the subject, it there and easy way to set the tab-order using the layout designer?
Re: why cant i edit an image a second time? [message #21335 is a reply to message #21334] Wed, 13 May 2009 19:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
mrjt wrote on Wed, 13 May 2009 11:53

And since we're on the subject, it there and easy way to set the tab-order using the layout designer?

Tab order is the same as order of widgets.

You can adjust it moving items up/down in the list, either using local menu or hotkey described in it. Arranging the list using hotkey is quite quick..

Mirek
Re: why cant i edit an image a second time? [message #21370 is a reply to message #21334] Fri, 15 May 2009 20:43 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Ultimate Member
mrjt wrote on Wed, 13 May 2009 11:53

luzr wrote on Wed, 13 May 2009 12:32

Mirek

That's not really what I meant, as that would be a very rare scenario.

What I mean is that when the project is executing it is impossible to use layout designer or image editor. I think this is where the confusion comes from since it is the only time users are likely to see the text version unless they know about the switching option.

In particular not being able to use the Layout Designer while the app is running is a pain, as you sometimes notice that a small tweak is necessary but can't use the designer until you've closed the app.

OK, I have tried my best Smile Please check.

Mirek
Previous Topic: Package selector now show the nest
Next Topic: Two monitor
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 03:26:14 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03683 seconds