Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » U++ MT-multithreading and servers » DnD hangs in MT Refresh()ing
DnD hangs in MT Refresh()ing [message #24717] Thu, 28 January 2010 16:58 Go to next message
kohait00 is currently offline  kohait00
Experienced Contributor
hi people

i am currently struggeling with a GUI / MT behaviour of U++ Ctrl stuff. i attached a Test environment, a modified CoWork. it does the following.

it fires up some CoWork Threads/Jobs, which simply do a
while(dorun)
{
  Refresh(); //which internally does GuiLock somewhere, no problem, THEORETICALLY
  Sleep(1);
}

and the Paint paints something dynamic, to see if it still is running something.

there is also a TreeCtrl, filled in same way as TreCtrlDnd example,

PROBLEM/BUG: start DnD some elemen of TreeCtrl without releasing it, soon the running Threads will freeze and not perform any refresh anymore. if minimizing and maximizing again, it starts to work, having performed its work; >> but until than it hangs !!!

do i misunderstand somehow the concept of GuiLock and MT things here? it seems to me that its kind of a deadlock with maybe one of the sPteLock, StaticMutex or GlobalMutex or the like..any guess?

BACKGROUND:

i am working on a application that uses I/O Completion Ports Queue (Win32 specific) and a CoWork threads pool, which performs he completion tasks. i receive periodic, frequent data, which i directly push throough to controls, which should be ok, since they somewhere invoke Refresh() which will do a GuiLock. so tey should be ok. and it works, that far. as soon as i start to DnD things, while a control, which is beeing driven directly by the completion threads for refreshment, is open, the whole thing hangs/freezes without mercy. so i tried to make a simple test. which almost does the same, but my own application is not recoverable. if i stop the debuger it points me to some point in ntdll, which smells of Mutex or Critical Section or what.
  • Attachment: CoWork.rar
    (Size: 7.33KB, Downloaded 320 times)
Re: DnD hangs in MT Refresh()ing [message #24734 is a reply to message #24717] Thu, 28 January 2010 23:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
How many cores do you have?

I have tried the example; D&D just slows down the app. Maybe the problem is related to the number of cores? (4 here..)

Needs more investigation.... Right now, I have no clue, party because I cannot replicate. But maybe I will try to find out whether the slowdown is OK - perhaps I will get a clue on the way.

Mirek
Re: DnD hangs in MT Refresh()ing [message #24735 is a reply to message #24734] Fri, 29 January 2010 00:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor
2 cores here, one needs to playe something with the element, dragging it in the tree without release, it does not hang immediately. slows down, later it hangs. sometimes it hangs as soon as released.

this is really weired. i was trying to investigate what kind of mutexes are involved. there is the NonMainMutex, sGLock, and also one needs to consider the semaphore wait in ICall interface. maybe the threads just inject themselves at a point when calling Refresh and locking GuiLock, not beeing able to continue doe to wait for semaphore of ICall, which is released after completion of ICall in main thread, which in turn cant complete the call, cause the DragAndDrop thing is doing a release LeaveGMutexAll, performing the draganddrop and not beeing able to EnterGMutex(level) anymore, cause one of the worker threads has started something. but there you also do a leave/wait for semaphore/enter, so GuiLock is not aquired there. man, no idea Smile

i'll watch on that, thanks

BTW: have you spent any thoughts on integrating the high performance stuff of completion ports for sockets/files, both on win32 and linux (real kernel aio, not the posix indermediate rubish)?
Re: DnD hangs in MT Refresh()ing [message #24741 is a reply to message #24735] Fri, 29 January 2010 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor
to reproduce it, hopefully 100 percent:

start dragging the tree element, drag a bit, dont release and dont move it anymore, still holding. after a time the whole stuff freezes, well after minimizing its all ok, though, but in my software it is just blocked
Re: DnD hangs in MT Refresh()ing [message #24743 is a reply to message #24741] Fri, 29 January 2010 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor
got some investigation on it (on MY app, not the CoWorker, but should be similar, i checked it, it behaves like that):

the problem even occurs with only 1 worker thread
(replacing the whole CoWork co with a Thread th and Run() the DoRefresh cb there)

DoCall() in Win32Wnd.cpp:747 always returns true (because NonMain counter is up to 25), so the ProcessEvent(bool *quit) cant go on processing other stuff and do a repaint on gui or dispatch user events.

the sGLock is owned by GUI thread, GuiSleep is running and so releasing GUI mutex sGLock from time to time, so potential other threads in need of gui lock, should run right.

the NonMainLock is owned by a worker thread and is not released anymore, there comes the deadlock, but NOT with the gui mutex, for sure, maybe the semaphore.wait in ICall or Call interface.

What is the NonMainMutex actually for? i think that is more or less the problem..

any idea?

[Updated on: Fri, 29 January 2010 09:36]

Report message to a moderator

Re: DnD hangs in MT Refresh()ing [message #24745 is a reply to message #24743] Fri, 29 January 2010 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor
one more:

indeed, in CtrlMT.cpp
void Ctrl::ICall(Callback cb)

is suffering a not release of semaphore due to an early CtrlCall.Clear in a DoCall somewhere in between, maybe from another thread??, so that the PerformCall cant be executed, which would release the semaphore...is there any other thread accessing DoCall?

a short log, sem1 is the ones from ICall, simpli with an id counter, sem2 is the ones from Call interfaces.

DoCall
Sem release, sem1 934 sem2 0
DoCall::CtrlCall clear sem1 934 sem2 0
SEM1 released 934
SEM1 wait 935
DoCall
Sem release, sem1 935 sem2 0
DoCall::CtrlCall clear sem1 935 sem2 0
SEM1 released 935
SEM1 wait 936
DoCall
Sem release, sem1 936 sem2 0
SEM1 released 936
DoCall::CtrlCall clear sem1 936 sem2 0
SEM1 wait 937
DoCall
DoCall::CtrlCall clear sem1 937 sem2 0
DoCall
DoCall

the CtrlMt.cpp used for that is the current one, from yesterday svn, so you can see where what is logged

#include "CtrlCore.h"

#define LLOG(x) // LOG(x)

NAMESPACE_UPP

#ifdef _MULTITHREADED
static int sem1 = 0;
static int sem2 = 0;

static int         NonMain;
static StaticMutex NonMainLock; 

void EnterGuiMutex()
{
	Mutex & m = NonMainLock.Get();
	LLOG("Thread " << IsMainThread() << " trying to lock");
	bool nonmain = !IsMainThread();
	if(nonmain)
		NonMainLock.Enter();
	EnterGMutex();
	if(nonmain)
		NonMain++;
	LLOG("Thread " << IsMainThread() << " LOCK");
}

void LeaveGuiMutex()
{
	Mutex & m = NonMainLock.Get();
	LLOG("Thread " << IsMainThread() << " trying to unlock");
	bool nonmain = !IsMainThread();
	if(nonmain)
		NonMain--;
	LeaveGMutex();
	if(nonmain)
		NonMainLock.Leave();
	LLOG("Thread " << IsMainThread() << " UNLOCK");
}

struct Ctrl::CallBox {
	Semaphore sem;
	Callback  cb;
};

void Ctrl::PerformCall(Ctrl::CallBox *cbox)
{
	cbox->cb();
	LOG("Sem release, sem1 " << sem1 << " sem2 " << sem2);
	cbox->sem.Release();
}

Callback    Ctrl::CtrlCall;

void WakeUpGuiThread();

bool Ctrl::DoCall()
{
	LOG("DoCall");
	CtrlCall();
	LOG("DoCall::CtrlCall clear sem1 " << sem1 << " sem2 " << sem2);
	CtrlCall.Clear();
	LLOG("--- DoCall, nonmain: " << NonMain);
	int a = NonMain;
	return NonMain;
}

{
	LLOG("Ctrl::Call " << IsMainThread() << ", nonmain: " << NonMain);
	if(IsMainThread())
		cb();
	else {
		CallBox cbox;
		cbox.cb = cb; ++sem1;
		CtrlCall = callback1(PerformCall, &cbox);
		int level = LeaveGMutexAll();
		WakeUpGuiThread();
		LLOG("Waiting for semaphore");
		if(!Thread::IsShutdownThreads())
		{
			LOG("SEM1 wait " << sem1);
			cbox.sem.Wait();
			LOG("SEM1 released " << sem1);
		}
		EnterGMutex(level);
	}
	LLOG("-- Ctrl::Call " << IsMainThread());
}

void Ctrl::Call(Callback cb)
{
	if(IsMainThread())
		cb();
	else {
		CallBox cbox;
		cbox.cb = cb; ++sem2;
		UPP::PostCallback(callback1(PerformCall, &cbox));
		int n = NonMain;
		int nn = n;
		NonMain = 0;
		for(int i = 0; i < n; i++)
			NonMainLock.Leave();
		WakeUpGuiThread();
		{
			LOG("SEM2 wait " << sem2);
			cbox.sem.Wait();
			LOG("SEM2 released " << sem2);
		}
			NonMainLock.Enter();
		EnterGMutex(level);
		NonMain = n;
	}
}

#else

{
	return false;
}

{
	cb();
}

{
	cb();
}
#endif

void Ctrl::GuiSleep(int ms)
{
	Call(callback1(&Ctrl::GuiSleep0, ms));
}

void Ctrl::WndDestroy()
{
	ICall(callback(this, &Ctrl::WndDestroy0));
}

#ifdef PLATFORM_WIN32
void Ctrl::WndCreateCaret(const Rect& cr)
{
	ICall(THISBACK1(WndCreateCaret0, cr));
}
#endif

void Ctrl::WndShow(bool b)
{
	ICall(THISBACK1(WndShow0, b));
}

void Ctrl::WndUpdate()
{
	ICall(THISBACK(WndUpdate0));
}

void Ctrl::SetWndForeground()
{
	ICall(THISBACK(SetWndForeground0));
}

bool Ctrl::WndEnable(bool b)
{
	ICall(THISBACK1(WndEnable0, &b));
	return b;
}

bool Ctrl::SetWndFocus()
{
	bool b;
	ICall(THISBACK1(SetWndFocus0, &b));
	return b;
}

void Ctrl::WndInvalidateRect(const Rect& r)
{
	ICall(THISBACK1(WndInvalidateRect0, r));
}

void Ctrl::WndSetPos(const Rect& rect)
{
	ICall(THISBACK1(WndSetPos0, rect));
}

void Ctrl::WndUpdate(const Rect& r)
{
	ICall(THISBACK1(WndUpdate0r, r));
}

void  Ctrl::WndScrollView(const Rect& r, int dx, int dy)
{
	ICall(THISBACK3(WndScrollView0, r, dx, dy));
}

void Ctrl::EventLoop(Ctrl *ctrl)
{
	Call(callback1(&Ctrl::EventLoop0, ctrl));
}

END_UPP_NAMESPACE

Re: DnD hangs in MT Refresh()ing [message #24746 is a reply to message #24743] Fri, 29 January 2010 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
kohait00 wrote on Fri, 29 January 2010 03:32

What is the NonMainMutex actually for? i think that is more or less the problem..

To block any other non-main thread trying to Call GUI thread at the same time.

Re: DnD hangs in MT Refresh()ing [message #24748 is a reply to message #24745] Fri, 29 January 2010 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
kohait00 wrote on Fri, 29 January 2010 04:31

one more:

indeed, in CtrlMT.cpp

is suffering a not release of semaphore due to an early CtrlCall.Clear in a DoCall somewhere in between, maybe from another thread??, so that the PerformCall cant be executed, which would release the semaphore...is there any other thread accessing DoCall?

This is exactly what NonGuiMutex is supposed to avoid... But something went wrong.
Re: DnD hangs in MT Refresh()ing [message #24749 is a reply to message #24748] Fri, 29 January 2010 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Hm, try this please:

{
	if(IsMainThread())
		cb();
	else {
		GuiLock __;
		CallBox cbox;
		cbox.cb = cb;
		WakeUpGuiThread();
			cbox.sem.Wait();
		EnterGMutex(level);
	}
}

{
	if(IsMainThread())
		cb();
	else {
		GuiLock __;
		CallBox cbox;
		cbox.cb = cb;
		UPP::PostCallback(callback1(PerformCall, &cbox));
		int n = NonMain;
		int nn = n;
		NonMain = 0;
			NonMainLock.Leave();
		WakeUpGuiThread();
			cbox.sem.Wait();
			NonMainLock.Enter();
		EnterGMutex(level);
		NonMain = n;
	}
}

(Rationale: It might be possible that Call gets invoked by different thread than the one that locked NonMainLock - in that case, setting NonMain to zero is indeed quite a bad idea).

All that convoluted mess just because M$ long time ago decided that HWND is per thread (not process)...
Re: DnD hangs in MT Refresh()ing [message #24750 is a reply to message #24749] Fri, 29 January 2010 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor
unfortunately no difference,

the custom CoWork still hangs. even faster Smile, my app is still haniging in that..

isnt the problem that maybe another thread might bbe running the ProcessEvent, which race condition like will do a CtrlCall.Clear()?
Re: DnD hangs in MT Refresh()ing [message #24751 is a reply to message #24750] Fri, 29 January 2010 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Another thread should not be running ProcessEvents, that is the whole point of this charade..

The real problem that causes all this is that GetMessage is only recieving messages for windows created by calling thread. That is why we need to "call" the main thread to both create windows and to recieve messages.
Re: DnD hangs in MT Refresh()ing [message #24752 is a reply to message #24751] Fri, 29 January 2010 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Anyway, this should not hurt, please add and check:

bool Ctrl::ProcessEvent(bool *quit)
{
	ASSERT(IsMainThread());

Mirek
Re: DnD hangs in MT Refresh()ing [message #24755 is a reply to message #24751] Fri, 29 January 2010 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor
the ASSERT has not triggered, at least, i added also to DoCall, just to be sure. neither there.. this is really weired..
Re: DnD hangs in MT Refresh()ing [message #24756 is a reply to message #24752] Fri, 29 January 2010 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
OK, I think have a clue.

Try

Callback    Ctrl::CtrlCall;
static Mutex CtrlCallMutex;

void WakeUpGuiThread();

{
	LLOG("DoCall");
	GuiLock __;
	{
		Mutex::Lock __(CtrlCallMutex);
		CtrlCall();
		CtrlCall.Clear();
	}
	LLOG("--- DoCall, nonmain: " << NonMain);
	return NonMain;
}

{
	if(IsMainThread())
		cb();
	else {
		GuiLock __;
		CallBox cbox;
		cbox.cb = cb;
		{
			Mutex::Lock __(CtrlCallMutex);
		}
		WakeUpGuiThread();
			cbox.sem.Wait();
		EnterGMutex(level);
	}
}

Rationale: ProcessEvents is possibly unlocked, I guess especially for DnD loop. It is possible there is a race condition between CtrlCall = assignment and CtrlCall.Clear (if execution of CtrlCall takes long enough).

Mirek
Re: DnD hangs in MT Refresh()ing [message #24757 is a reply to message #24717] Fri, 29 January 2010 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor
GOOOD NEWS mirek...it works Smile for me !! but not for the CoWork

i tested my software under pretty heavy conditions. my software does NOT hang. thanks a LOT!! that's driven me crazy a week now. i should have provided you the info that in deed, the worker threads perform a long enough task on the gui, just like you guessed. sorry for that. i think this will become a patch. are there any drawbacks on that? performance hits, deadlock potentials? (the more mutexes one uses Smile

but the CoWork test has failed. it seems to have another problem in CoWork anyway, cause one can still click and see the title change the caption, so the message queue is runnning.

i could not grasp the exact error there, have you been able to reproduce the hang in the custom CoWork??

interestingly enough, when the test application "freezes", it seems only the worker threads freeze, as soon as you change the size of the window or minimize/maximize, it continues again.
just go on posting Smile if you cant reproduce it. ill try it here.

[Updated on: Fri, 29 January 2010 13:13]

Report message to a moderator

Re: DnD hangs in MT Refresh()ing [message #24758 is a reply to message #24757] Fri, 29 January 2010 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
kohait00 wrote on Fri, 29 January 2010 07:08

GOOOD NEWS mirek...it works Smile for me !! but not for the CoWork

i tested my software under pretty heavy conditions. my software does NOT hang. thanks a LOT!! that's driven me crazy a week now.

Glad to hear that. This stuff is really complicated...

Quote:

i should have provided you the info that in deed, the worker threads perform a long enough task on the gui, just like you guessed. sorry for that. i think this will become a patch. are there any drawbacks on that? performance hits, deadlock potentials? (the more mutexes one uses Smile

If there is any performance impact, it is negligible. And race conditions are bugs in any case! Incorrect code has to be fixed.

Quote:

but the CoWork test has failed. it seems to have another problem in CoWork anyway, cause one can still click and see the title change the caption, so the message queue is runnning.

i could not grasp the exact error there, have you been able to reproduce the hang in the custom CoWork??

Unfortunately, no. Frankly, this use of CoWork is very weird, but I understand it is just testcase.

In any case, the exit strategy of this testcase is invalid - it freezes on close and rightfully so. But that is another issue, I guess...

Quote:

interestingly enough, when the test application "freezes", it seems only the worker threads freeze, as soon as you change the size of the window or minimize/maximize, it continues again.
just go on posting Smile if you cant reproduce it. ill try it here.

Yes, I cannot reproduce it... Sad

Mirek
Re: DnD hangs in MT Refresh()ing [message #24759 is a reply to message #24758] Fri, 29 January 2010 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor
well indeed, it was only a test case, i was not worried about correct close or the like, it even produces mem leaks..
it was the easiest way to set up a bunch of worker threads that do something in the manner my software is doing (receiving stuff over sockets and completion port threads) and manipulating directly the gui.. but....it produced a different issue Smile nevermind.
thank you a LOT really.
Re: DnD hangs in MT Refresh()ing [message #24767 is a reply to message #24759] Fri, 29 January 2010 14:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
kohait00 wrote on Fri, 29 January 2010 07:32

well indeed, it was only a test case, i was not worried about correct close or the like, it even produces mem leaks..
it was the easiest way to set up a bunch of worker threads that do something in the manner my software is doing (receiving stuff over sockets and completion port threads) and manipulating directly the gui.. but....it produced a different issue Smile nevermind.
thank you a LOT really.

Thanks to you, stupid bug gone.

The problem with GuiLock is that it is relatively recent (2009) and it not many people are really developing MT apps that depend on it. So some quirks are to be expected.

Still, we should try to fix a testcase as well... I will try on my dualcore notebook.
Re: DnD hangs in MT Refresh()ing [message #24775 is a reply to message #24767] Fri, 29 January 2010 16:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor
i will investigate my self on that as well this weekend, maybe i can provide something.

BTW: in heapdbg.cpp:60

static
#ifdef flagMT
#ifdef COMPILER_MSC
__declspec(thread)
#else
__thread
#endif
#endif
dword s_ignoreleaks;

could be replaced with

static thread__ dword s_ignoreleaks;

for consistency, so the thread__ def is used everywhere.

BTW2: remember the Timer package i postet recently? you asked to push it into bazaar and someone told me there to ask for bazzar svn commit rights..how is that? you also can put it there yourself.
Re: DnD hangs in MT Refresh()ing [message #24780 is a reply to message #24775] Fri, 29 January 2010 19:43 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Ultimate Member
ok...
Previous Topic: MT with speed optimization fails
Next Topic: what about WorkQueue : public CoWork
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 15:25:09 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01595 seconds