Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » U++ Widgets - General questions or Mixed problems » Strange behaviour of my modal dialog
Strange behaviour of my modal dialog [message #2804] Tue, 25 April 2006 22:57 Go to next message
forlano is currently offline  forlano
Senior Contributor
I didn't know where to post this thread because I'm sure it is not a bug. Nevertheless i'm observing strange things, very strange, at least for me.

I've declared and defined a class, say Tournament. Then I've an instance TD of Tournament the which constructor set, for example

NAMETORNEO = "my Tournament";

Now I load a file and update NAMETORNEO with the value read from file, for example

TD.NAMETORNEO = "international";

I tested that TD.NAMETORNEO has been adjourned and now it is "international", no doubt about it please.
Now comes the strange things. I run a modal dialog to set a new tournament. The dialog is run by:
void VegaMain::NewTournament()
{   NewTournamentDlg newt;
    //PromptOK( TD.NAMETORNEO + "1" ); // show "international"
    newt.Run();
    //PromptOK( TD.NAMETORNEO + "2" ); // show "international"
}

Here is some lines of the constructor of NewTournamentDlg :
NewTournamentDlg::NewTournamentDlg()
{   int i, j;
    CtrlLayout(*this, "New Tournament");

editTourn <<= TD.NAMETORNEO;  
    PromptOK( TD.NAMETORNEO ); // TD.NAMETORNEO is again "my Tournament" !!!

I believed to set in editTourn the new value of TD.NAMETORNEO, i.e. "international", instead there is again the very old one, "my Tournament"! Why? After all newt born after I changed the value of TD.NAMETORNEO.

Perhaps it is normal but I need to synchronize NewTournamentDlg with the rest of the world. How to do?

I hope you have understood what I meant.
Luigi

[Updated on: Tue, 25 April 2006 22:58]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Strange behaviour of my modal dialog [message #2807 is a reply to message #2804] Tue, 25 April 2006 23:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Maybe I did not get it completely, but I guess the mistake you have done is that you think that "<<=" somewhat "binds" the variable with EditField (or other Ctrl).

However, that is not true - it is simple assignment, it sets the value of EditField, but the value of "TD.TOURNAMENT" is further unchanged by the EditField. If you need to have it changed, you have to perform "backward" assignment like

TD.NAMETONEO = ~newt.editTourn;

Of course, doing so for each variable would be boring, so U++ gives you better options.

First of all, you can consider whether you really need to have separate variable for tournament name. Sometimes you can simply use the dialog to store data and do not store to variable at all.
(Data are stored in widgets regardless it is "open").

Another option is to use "CtrlRetriever". This provides a kind of binding you perhaps have expected:

CtrlRetriever r;
r(newt.editTorneo, TD.TORNEO)
(newt.anotherField, TD.ANOTHER)
;
newt.Run();
r.Retrieve();

First past, using operator(), simply performs

ctrl <<= val;

and stores references to both to the list. Then Retrieve method goes through those references and performs

val = ~ctrl;

Primitive, but effective Wink

Mirek
Re: Strange behaviour of my modal dialog [message #2808 is a reply to message #2807] Tue, 25 April 2006 23:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
luzr wrote on Tue, 25 April 2006 23:10

Maybe I did not get it completely, but I guess the mistake you have done is that you think that "<<=" somewhat "binds" the variable with EditField (or other Ctrl).

However, that is not true - it is simple assignment, it sets the value of EditField, but the value of "TD.TOURNAMENT" is further unchanged by the EditField.

I was aware of it. I wanted put in EditField the value TD.TOURNAMENT and nothing else. I wanted to know the current value of TD.TOURNAMENT. Later another method will get what I've written in the EditField and then update TD.TOURNAMENT. My surprise is that TD.TOURNAMENT that finish in the EditField is the very old one. It seems the widget is not aware that TD.TOURNAMENT has already changed at some moment.

Quote:

If you need to have it changed, you have to perform "backward" assignment like

TD.NAMETONEO = ~newt.editTourn;

Of course, doing so for each variable would be boring, so U++ gives you better options.

First of all, you can consider whether you really need to have separate variable for tournament name. Sometimes you can simply use the dialog to store data and do not store to variable at all.
(Data are stored in widgets regardless it is "open").

This is very interisting! I was not aware of it. In fact I get tired to use a parallel structure to store variables (I was afraid to loose them when the widget disappeared!)
Quote:

Another option is to use "CtrlRetriever". This provides a kind of binding you perhaps have expected:

CtrlRetriever r;
r(newt.editTorneo, TD.TORNEO)
(newt.anotherField, TD.ANOTHER)
;
newt.Run();
r.Retrieve();

First past, using operator(), simply performs

ctrl <<= val;

and stores references to both to the list. Then Retrieve method goes through those references and performs

val = ~ctrl;

Primitive, but effective Wink

Mirek

I'm going to try it!

Luigi
Re: Strange behaviour of my modal dialog [message #2809 is a reply to message #2808] Tue, 25 April 2006 23:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
I tried the retrieve method and it is very nice. Irrispective of how the widget is closed you get what there was at its closure.
So the widget continue to stay alive but invisible.

Is there a method to destroy a widget definitely? (just to prevent somethig I do not want to do).

Luigi
Re: Strange behaviour of my modal dialog [message #2810 is a reply to message #2809] Wed, 26 April 2006 00:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
forlano wrote on Tue, 25 April 2006 17:52

I tried the retrieve method and it is very nice. Irrispective of how the widget is closed you get what there was at its closure.
So the widget continue to stay alive but invisible.

Is there a method to destroy a widget definitely? (just to prevent somethig I do not want to do).

Luigi

Ahh, you are mixing two issues: Retrieve is there to store data *separately* (means, in paralel data structure).

To destroy widget and its value definitely, you simply destroy it (by going out of scope or by calling delete for heap-based).

Mirek
Re: Strange behaviour of my modal dialog [message #2824 is a reply to message #2804] Wed, 26 April 2006 18:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
Hello,

I'm sorry to bother the forum once more with the same issue. Unfortunately I can't bypass this stupid problem that stopped me. I feel it is not a bug but the mistake it is not at all evident to me. I've prepared a minimalist example that shows what the problem is. They are 5 files very short. Who is interested can run the package attached (unzip in vegaTest). Here I show each file with the hope that the problem can be fixed on the fly.

File 1, is the *.h with the declaration of the two classes that are used by the program, one of them is a widget:
#include <CtrlLib/CtrlLib.h>
#define LAYOUTFILE      <testVega/Vega.lay>
#include <CtrlCore/lay.h>

class NewTournamentDlg : public WithNewTournamentLayout<TopWindow> {
public:
	typedef NewTournamentDlg CLASSNAME;
	NewTournamentDlg();
	~NewTournamentDlg() {;}
};

class RoundData { 
public:
 	String NAMETORNEO;	 		
 	RoundData();
	~RoundData(){;}
};	

// maybe the problem is the line below?
class RoundData TD; //is it seen in each *.cpp file? Is it a definition or a declaration?

File 2 is the definition of the method of the above widget. It put (it should put!) in an EditString the value TD.NAMETORNEO that has been set elsewhere:
#include "VegaMain.h"

NewTournamentDlg::NewTournamentDlg()
{   int i, j;
	CtrlLayout(*this, "");

editTourn <<= TD.NAMETORNEO;
}

and this is the correspondent .lay file:
LAYOUT(NewTournamentLayout, 268, 92)
	ITEM(EditString, editTourn, NotNull(true).LeftPosZ(16, 228).TopPosZ(36, 19))
END_LAYOUT

File 4, define the constructor of the non widget class:
#include "VegaMain.h"

RoundData::RoundData()
{ NAMETORNEO = "my torneo";
}

So "my torneo" is the name with which born an instance of the previous class. And now the last file, main.cpp, where happen strange things:
#include "VegaMain.h"

void NewMask()
{	TD.NAMETORNEO = "luigi";
        NewTournamentDlg newt;
	newt.Run(); //appear "my torneo"
	PromptOK( TD.NAMETORNEO); //appear "luigi"
}

GUI_APP_MAIN
{  	TopWindow w;
	Button b;
	w.Add(b);
	b.SetLabel("push me").LeftPos(10, 100).TopPos(10, 30);
	b.WhenAction = callback(NewMask);
	w.Run();
}

As said in a previous post, after the previous:
TD.NAMETORNEO = "luigi";
I expect to see it inside the editstring of the widget because of its constructor. Instead appear "my torneo". It looks as TD is not seen by newt. How can I do visibile TD to newt? In C I could make TD global, but now?

What I am missing to do?
Thank you,
Luigi
  • Attachment: testVega.rar
    (Size: 1.35KB, Downloaded 1560 times)
Re: Strange behaviour of my modal dialog [message #2825 is a reply to message #2824] Wed, 26 April 2006 19:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
forlano wrote on Wed, 26 April 2006 12:13

// maybe the problem is the line below?
class RoundData TD; //is it seen in each *.cpp file? Is it a definition or a declaration?

This indeed is not quite right. You should place

extern RoundData TD;

into header (declaration) and

RoundData TD;

into any .cpp file (definition). After fixing that, it started working.

Mirek
Re: Strange behaviour of my modal dialog [message #2826 is a reply to message #2825] Wed, 26 April 2006 20:31 Go to previous message
Senior Contributor
luzr wrote on Wed, 26 April 2006 19:06

This indeed is not quite right. You should place

extern RoundData TD;

into header (declaration) and

RoundData TD;

into any .cpp file (definition). After fixing that, it started working.

Mirek

Very Happy .SetSize( MAX );

Thanks a lot!
I was becoming crazy. This stupid problem stopped me for an entire day (night included).
There is an explanation for this. After I read some notes about C++ that complained about the "extern" used in C, and after Aris complained too, Smile , for my extensive use of "spaghetti" I become a Taleban and I wanted to remove all the "extern" from my program.
Perhaps I've projected the application not in the best way if now I need it, so I've altered the beauty of the Aris' code.
I'll post soon the first part of the application where there are all the things I've learned so far.

Luigi
Previous Topic: DropList cores on ClearList()
Next Topic: what is the situation with MDI and Dock widget in U++?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 06 12:55:32 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01626 seconds