Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: Installation, Compiling and Running of theide » Running IDE under FreeBSD
Running IDE under FreeBSD [message #38] Tue, 22 November 2005 10:20 Go to next message
lokki is currently offline  lokki
Promising Member
Hi All

I would like to ask you, if you have any experience on running Ultimate++ IDE under FreeBSD (5.x branch).

I didn't found this project in ports tree. That's why I tried to build 511 version from sources on my own, but my make command finished with plenty of errors (The only changes I made to Makefile was editing path variables and changing Linux compilation flag to FreeBSD flag).

Googling around wasn't successful.

Thank you for any opinion
Re: Running IDE under FreeBSD [message #46 is a reply to message #38] Tue, 22 November 2005 19:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Well, all I can say right now is that I know that U++ runs in FreeBSD (because I know it was tries some time ago). Anyway, that experiment was performed using remote development, not by tweaking Makefile (actually, Linux version was developed using TheIDE's remote development capability as well. Makefile is just generated using TheIDE Smile.

In fact, it would be glad to have FreeBSD release maintainer. Regular FreeBSD releases are in roadmap since next release (602), I CAN do it myself, but my time is limited. Ditto for Solaris version... (But I guess that I will have to resolve PowerPC problems myself Smile

For now, some tips:

- I guess I have read somewhere that FreeBSD should support some kind of linux compatibility layer. If that is true, use it, start TheIDE and compile native version using it...

- If that does not work, tweak makefile. Post errors here, I will try to help.

Mirek
Re: Running IDE under FreeBSD [message #96 is a reply to message #46] Thu, 24 November 2005 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lokki is currently offline  lokki
Promising Member
No solution for now.

You're right, there is a Linux compatibility layer in FreeBSD and linux binary ide runs perfectly. But I still cannot compile anything "inside" ide.

I have imported all example and core packages, but when I try to compile anything, I get many error messages.The same as I got when tried to compile ide, using Makefile.

There are various error messages, like this one:
- xxx undefined, first use in this function
and similar...

When anything is compiling in ide, there is -DflagLINUX set. I explored almost every config file and every dialog box in the ide, but didn't found, where to change globaly this flag to -DflagFREEBSD - may this be the problem...

Thanks anyway. Probably I will wait for next release Smile
Re: Running IDE under FreeBSD [message #99 is a reply to message #96] Thu, 24 November 2005 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Quote:

When anything is compiling in ide, there is -DflagLINUX set. I explored almost every config file and every dialog box in the ide, but didn't found, where to change globaly this flag to -DflagFREEBSD - may this be the problem...

Hm, maybe it is just THIS stupid Smile Would not be big problem to fix, but you would have to go into sources a little bit:

You can "push" FREEBSD flag by adding it to main package configuration. I guess there is "GUI" now. Add "FREEBSD".

Anyway, TheIDE will continue to put flagLINUX there anyway, as he thinkgs that it is running in Linux. To fix that, try to _temporarily_ place

#undef flagLINUX

at the beginning of Core.h.
Re: Running IDE under FreeBSD [message #139 is a reply to message #99] Sun, 27 November 2005 20:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thawkins is currently offline  thawkins
Promising Member

Hi guys

Im a Mac os x and freebsd developer, so I have a great amount of interest in getting the IDE running on both of these platforms.

Im trying to start up a project to build a new newspaper pagination system (i have done several before), but I want to target as many platforms as possible, and U++ looks ideal.

I have access to several BSD (5.3, 5.4 and 6.0) and Mac Os X (10.4.3) machines in my home network, plus one WinXP box so I could certainly help with bringing up a version.
Re: Running IDE under FreeBSD [message #140 is a reply to message #139] Sun, 27 November 2005 21:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Hi,

you would be valuable addition to the team Smile

FreeBSD port is simple (I hope to make it regular part of releases next month).

Mac OS X is much more complicated bussines I am afraid... Of course, Mac/X11 should be simple (just to fix some alignment issues that I am will be there regardless effort to avoid them). But to get thing going and +/- look like regular Mac app will not be easy... I expect it to happen 3-8 / 2006, but I have to buy some HW first... Once again, "new Draw" should make this bussines much easier...

Mirek
Re: Running IDE under FreeBSD [message #143 is a reply to message #139] Sun, 27 November 2005 21:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member

Ok, Im a bit stumped now

I got most of it compiling under freebsd, but I have now hit a .tpp file, and I dont know how to process them.

Is there some tool that handles these files? They look a bit like Latex files.
Also what handles the .i files?

Re: Running IDE under FreeBSD [message #144 is a reply to message #143] Sun, 27 November 2005 23:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Actually, I am not really sure how you are trying to compile it. Looks like you are creating your makefile?!

AFAIK, there are three ways how to compile TheIDE in FreeBSD: use/tweak the makefile supplied with release or use Linux binary compatibility, start TheIDE and cross-compile using it (see messages in this thread). Third way is to use remote development - install on XP, compile some simple utility to connect with BSD via TCP/IP, then develop on XP and run on BSD (support in TheIDE is there..)

Now to answer your question: .i files are files that are sometimes used for things that are about to be included from other files. I guess you can safely ignore them.

.tpp files contain Topics. They are included using other means, so once again, during compilation, just ignore them.

Only relevant files are .cpp .c and .icpp.
Re: Running IDE under FreeBSD [message #145 is a reply to message #144] Mon, 28 November 2005 03:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member

Hmmm, its just me being stupid.

First I used a snapshot rather than the linux source, so there where some missing files

ide/language[.hpp,.cpp], plugins/z/z.h and plugins/png/png.h which had me guessing for a while.

I switched to the linux dist source, and then ran into something that always catches me out everytime, bsd "make" != linux "make", bsdmake is unique to bsd, whereas linux make tends to be gmake... so switching to gmake fixed all the .i and .tpp issues, caused by bsdmake not prunning unnessacary make targets from the targets lists, when there where no implicit make rules and the target already existed.

I'm just chasing down some issues with loff_t not being defined for 64 file operations, but it seems to be happy so far.
Re: Running IDE under FreeBSD [message #146 is a reply to message #145] Mon, 28 November 2005 06:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member

Ok, I have the IDE compliled, linked and running on Freebsd 6.0.

Im going to start working through the examples/tours to see if it works.

Apart from my slowness in spotting the make error here where a couple of small issues

1) You have to use gmake
2) Core/Stream.cpp has a load of 64bit file funkyness in it, on Freebsd (and mac os x) everything is 64bit anyway for fileops
so I added
#define loff_t off_t
#define fseek64 fseek
#define ftruncate64 ftruncate
to the Core.h file in the Freebsd section.
3) there was a typo on one of the file includes in the util.cpp file in Core.
4) I had to mess about with the linker options to get it to link

But it seems to ok on a quick look
I'll mail you a full list of the changes tomorrow

Re: Running IDE under FreeBSD [message #273 is a reply to message #146] Mon, 05 December 2005 21:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Well, how it goes with FreeBSD? Are you able to compile TheIDE using TheIDE? If so, could you post me the binary version of IDE to save me tweaking the Makefile? (Once I have chicken (TheIDE), I will be able to produce eggs Smile
Re: Running IDE under FreeBSD [message #283 is a reply to message #273] Tue, 06 December 2005 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member

Yep, its fully functional, I have the IDE running and have recompiled the ide, using the ide. The changes are prettymuch as I listed in the previous mail.

I'll mail you a hand edited make file and set of instructions for the edits this evening when I get home. I had to hack the make file a little to bootstrap it onto the system, but nothing drastic. Im a little busy at work at the moment (im an engineering manager with Yahoo Europe), with training some new people, but I.ll get this stuff to you this evening.

I'm now looking at doing the Darwin port, under X11, as I want that as my main machine is a Mac OS X Powerbook. I wont bother doing anything about the quartz/carbon porting until you guys have sorted out the new draw system, otherwise it could be a waste of time.

For Freebsd, the changes to the source where trivial, a few defines to handle the 64bit file stuff and the odd typo in one of the PLATFORM_FREEBSD Sections.

If I do a darwin port, what is the best codebase to do it against?, 511, or a recent cvs image?

Re: Running IDE under FreeBSD [message #287 is a reply to message #283] Tue, 06 December 2005 17:10 Go to previous message
Ultimate Member
thawkins wrote on Tue, 06 December 2005 02:53

If I do a darwin port, what is the best codebase to do it against?, 511, or a recent cvs image?

Use last snapshot. CVS is commited after releasing snapshot, but Daniel sometimes forgets to do it Smile

Alternatively, start syncing uvs2 to get current sources... (Daniel is now assigned as uvs2 gatekeeper, means you would have to contact him to learn how to do it).
Previous Topic: two parallel installations?
Next Topic: HPUX Compiling?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 09:19:42 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.14319 seconds