FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Newbie corner » Pretty GUIs
icon10.gif  Pretty GUIs [message #29969] Wed, 01 December 2010 18:05 Go to next message
guiprod is currently offline  guiprod
Hello I am a medium level C++ developer presently using gcc/g++ on 64-bit linux.

I have a need for a GUI. My main requirements are as follows:

1) NOT be a large or unwieldy code base. Basically the idea is that a non-GUI developer such as myself and my other non-GUI developer friends can EASILY make changes, and add in new grids.
2) Be able to refresh data and edit data simultaneously in a grid.
3) Have a very pretty GUI. Perhaps this means CSS like behavior that C# offers.
4) Have good performance down the road. Eventually I will want the grid to be very large and have graphs and calculations and semi-frequent updates.

I'm sure there are a million options -- perhaps I shouldn't even use C++ but rather a web scripting language. But it is very important that this be pretty and easy to develop with a minimal learning curve.

I would much appreciate any insight you have. Ultimate++ seems to perhaps? do #1,#4 but I'm not sure if it is easy to make it look pretty or have advanced grid functionality.

Re: Pretty GUIs [message #29970 is a reply to message #29969] Wed, 01 December 2010 18:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unknown user
#2 There is GridCtrl or ArrayCtrl.
#3 U++ GUI is customizable via ChStyle, see Usage Hints from this page and search forum for more info. It's not easy like css but it's easy enough.

See also BlueBar package from examples assembly and Chameleon package from reference assembly.

See http://www.ederedv.at/solutions/gks.html for customized UI made with U++.
Re: Pretty GUIs [message #29980 is a reply to message #29969] Wed, 01 December 2010 22:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
guiprod is currently offline  guiprod
That is good to hear about ChStyle. I was wondering if there were any (besides the included HomeBudget) really good examples of real time data entering a grid on a regular basis (perhaps even with some color coding of the grid).

Matt
Re: Pretty GUIs [message #30032 is a reply to message #29969] Sat, 04 December 2010 16:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mindtraveller is currently offline  Mindtraveller
Experienced Contributor

You should consider looking at Google Gears.
Re: Pretty GUIs [message #30046 is a reply to message #29969] Sun, 05 December 2010 01:47 Go to previous message
gprentice is currently offline  gprentice
Experienced Member
I was tempted to answer your UI virtualization question
http://www.ultimatepp.org/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=299 81&#msg_29981

but it's best left for Daniel (unodgs).

I know you asked for a minimal learning curve but you might find it worthwhile to get to know the gridctrl source a little because once you understand it, you have the power to customise it in the future.

For the virtualization thing, you may find you can do it by overriding the Paint function and use that to trigger cell updates. You might want to limit the rate that you update cells (not sure), but I guess you could use a timer.

Graeme
Previous Topic: Is it possible?
Next Topic: Switch Control
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 09:36:06 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01615 seconds