Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Newbie corner » U++ questions
U++ questions [message #31539] Sat, 12 March 2011 18:43 Go to next message
trader is currently offline  trader
Promising Member
Hello everyone,

I have a lot of code in C++, can I still using my C++ code in U++ new projects (and vice versa)?

I know C++, how much do I have to learn to develop in U++?

It seems that the main function of U++ is for GUI applications. In Console applications have some difference, using C++ or U++?

Tks,
John
Re: U++ questions [message #31541 is a reply to message #31539] Sat, 12 March 2011 19:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Ah, you already did (joined the forum). Never mind, I can repeat my answers Smile

trader wrote on Sat, 12 March 2011 12:43

Hello everyone,

I have a lot of code in C++, can I still using my C++ code in U++ new projects (and vice versa)?

Sure, U++ is basically C++ library (+ide).

Quote:

I know C++, how much do I have to learn to develop in U++?

Depends Smile Seasoned C++ programmers can be in full speed within week or two, producing useful stuff.

Quote:

It seems that the main function of U++ is for GUI applications. In Console applications have some difference, using C++ or U++?

There is CONSOLE_APP_MAIN too.
Re: U++ questions [message #31544 is a reply to message #31539] Sat, 12 March 2011 20:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

trader wrote on Sat, 12 March 2011 18:43

Hi John,

There is a lot of things that console programmer can benefit from in U++. To name just a few:
  • Very efficient containers
  • Fast memory allocator
  • Ready to use classes for many areas like sockets, compression, graphics (yes, even in console apps you can work with images)

Plus U++ makes it very easy to add GUI to existing command line apps in later stages of development (which proved to be very helpful for me quite a few times Smile ).

Best regards,
Honza
Re: U++ questions [message #31560 is a reply to message #31539] Mon, 14 March 2011 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
It's up to you how much of U++ will you use in your project.
In my console tools I did use these parts of U++ (Real world use case):

UnitTest++: for test driven development

Core+CtrlLib: for NTL containers, U++ streams, basic types (I love to use "byte", "word" and "dword" type names since my ASM years.. it's very minor thing, but it just makes my day better) and String.
Just did search the sources (out of curiosity) how much I did use NTL containers... one Vector<String> in parsing command line arguments, otherwise I use only local variables (no need for dynamic allocation in that particular tool).

Draw+Painter: to generate image for printing, convert it into 1bpp bitmap (that one I use later in my own RLE encoder to send it over serial port to thermal printer)

And some Serial.h file from forum to handle serial port communication.

Overall U++ saved me weeks of work on this project, the prototype was done in single day, then in 5 days I had complete production version (100% test coverage, documentation, relatively maintainable code base without huge hacks).
Re: U++ questions [message #31707 is a reply to message #31560] Mon, 21 March 2011 02:35 Go to previous message
trader is currently offline  trader
Promising Member
Cool... Wink

Tks
Previous Topic: Install Error
Next Topic: Ctrl: Paint only affected area?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 22:52:40 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01822 seconds