Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Newbie corner » MPI and U++
MPI and U++ [message #31729] Mon, 21 March 2011 20:00 Go to next message
thundurstruck is currently offline  thundurstruck
Promising Member

Hi Folks - Does anyone have experience using u++ with MPI on a linux cluster? I'm interested in decomposing and processing very large (80GB) flat files.

Thanks,
Chuck
Re: MPI and U++ [message #31730 is a reply to message #31729] Mon, 21 March 2011 20:58 Go to previous message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

thundurstruck wrote on Mon, 21 March 2011 20:00

Hi Folks - Does anyone have experience using u++ with MPI on a linux cluster? I'm interested in decomposing and processing very large (80GB) flat files.

Thanks,
Chuck

Hi Chuck

I have learned a bit of MPI a while back, but I never used it with U++. To tell the truth, I never used it for anything useful, it was just a part of university course Smile Anyway, using it with U++ should not be much different from using it from any other C++.

I'd just like to warn you Smile I personally think that MPI is very hostile, unelegant and ugly interface. IMHO the only type of the applications that actually benefit from using MPI are tasks where a lot of rapid interaction between nodes and/or where some sort of organised structure/hierarchy is desired. MPI is great e.g. for computing differential equations on grid, when you set each node to represent one point of the grid. But for simpler cases, like processing a huge files part by part, MPI is IMHO just overhead and simpler solution usually exists. But that is just my opinion of course Wink

If you wish to discuss the details of your project (preferably via icq/IRC/PM...), I might help you to decide which way to go, based on your actual needs.

Best regards,
Honza
Previous Topic: VC++ 2010 Express
Next Topic: A little bug in the Scribble example program
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 21:33:17 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03115 seconds