FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » U++ Developers corner » Question about pick behaviour
Question about pick behaviour [message #31793] Mon, 28 March 2011 11:25 Go to next message
ross_tang is currently offline  ross_tang
(I am not sure if the question should be posted here.)

From this two articles:
i. Pick Behaviour Explained
ii. Transfer semantics

It seems to me that one main problem 'pick' solves is the return of an complex object. As in this example in Transfer semantics:

class IntArray {
    int count;
    int *array;
    void Copy(const IntArray& src) {
        array = new int[count = src.count];
        memcpy(array, src.array, count * sizeof(int));
    }
public:
    int& operator[](int i)        { return array[i]; }
    int  GetCount() const         { return count; }
    IntArray(int n)               { count = n; array = new int[n]; }
    IntArray(const IntArray& src) { Copy(src); }
    IntArray& operator=(const IntArray& src)
                                  { delete[] array; Copy(src) }
    ~IntArray()                   { delete[] array; }
};

IntArray MakeArray(int n) {
    IntArray a(n);
    for(int i = 0; i < n; i++)
        a[i] = i;
    return a;
}

If we run this step: IntArray y = MakeArray(1000), it would generate an unnecessary deep copy.

Then the article proceeded to this:

class IntArray {
    int count;
    mutable int *array;
    void Pick(pick_ IntArray& src) {
        count = src.count;
        array = src.array;
        src.array = NULL;
    }
public:
    IntArray(int n)               { count = n; array = new int[n]; }
    IntArray(pick_ IntArray& src) { Pick(src); }
    IntArray& operator=(pick_ IntArray& src)
                                  { if(array) delete[] array;
                                    Pick(src) }
    ~IntArray()                   { if(array) delete[] array; }
};

which uses the pick semantics and avoided deep copy in function return. But it has the adverse effect of invaliding the original variable in an assignment.

However I think it is possible to preserve the original variable, while retaining the pick semantics. We can just add a flag to the object to indicate if the object is picked or not.

class IntArray {
    int count;
    bool picked;
    mutable int *array;
    void Pick(pick_ IntArray& src) {
        picked = src.picked;  /* updated from picked = false, since src maybe picked as well. In principle, we only want one instance of the
 object unpicked while all others are picked. In this way, only the destruction of the unpicked one would deallocate all memory in used. */
        src.picked = true;
        count = src.count;
        array = src.array;
    }
public:
    IntArray(int n)               { count = n; array = new int[n];picked = false;}
    IntArray(pick_ IntArray& src) { Pick(src); }
    IntArray& operator=(pick_ IntArray& src)
                                  { if(!picked) delete[] array;
                                    Pick(src) }
    ~IntArray()                   { if(!picked) delete[] array; }
};

IntArray MakeArray(int n) {
    IntArray a(n);
    for(int i = 0; i < n; i++)
        a[i] = i;
    return a;
}

If we use this method, first the original variable won't be changed except the picked flag. Next if we run:

IntArray y = MakeArray(1000);

the field array of IntArray in a won't be deallocated, since the destructor only deallocate if it is not picked.

Python uses reference extensively. For example:

a = [1,2,3]
b = a
a[1] = 10

If we run the above code, it is totally valid(But in U++, it is an error). And now b is [1, 10, 3] since it shares the same data with a. And I expected U++ to do the same too.

I hope someone can let me know if I understand 'pick' correctly or wrong.

[Updated on: Mon, 28 March 2011 12:00]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Question about pick behaviour [message #31794 is a reply to message #31793] Mon, 28 March 2011 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
ross_tang wrote on Mon, 28 March 2011 05:25

However I think it is possible to preserve the original variable, while retaining the pick semantics. We can just add a flag to the object to indicate if the object is picked or not.

Correct.

Quote:

Python uses reference extensively. For example:

a = [1,2,3]
b = a
a[1] = 10

If we run the above code, it is totally valid(But in U++, it is an error). And now b is [1, 10, 3] since it shares the same data with a. And I expected U++ to do the same too.

Yes, this is the reason why 'picked' works as is does, 'destroying' the target. In U++, this Python behaviour is considered error-prone.
Re: Question about pick behaviour [message #31800 is a reply to message #31793] Mon, 28 March 2011 16:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
ross_tang: once your two references would start to live in quite different parts of complex app on their own, it would be quite difficult to decide which one is responsible to finish life cycle of that memory block, ie. you would need GC to make the life easier. Which means you failed to find an U++ way of design where you know where that memory block belongs and when you are done with it and you can lost it completely, so there's no need for GC, you just exit from that stack window away.

It means U++ gives less freedom in implementation to force you for a bit more thoughtful design in exchange for no GC performance penalty and the final source is usually simpler and easier to maintain.
Re: Question about pick behaviour [message #31804 is a reply to message #31793] Tue, 29 March 2011 04:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ross_tang is currently offline  ross_tang
Thank you for your replies. I think I should try to code in U++ to see what benefit I can get with the pick transfer.
Re: Question about pick behaviour [message #31828 is a reply to message #31804] Wed, 30 March 2011 10:44 Go to previous message
kohait00 is currently offline  kohait00
Experienced Contributor
mr_ped is absolutely right..

finally, U++ is agressive C++, which avoids speed penalties at any price Smile GC is not available here and we have to deal with objects differently. U++ fundamental design rule (see manual somewhere) is everything belongs somewhere.. so at any time in any point of code you are able to determine what actually is under *your* (current inspected object's) control and responsibility.

if you are on doing python / U++ intefacing (we might join on that, i'm currently preparing/doing it) the only thing usefull for interfacing is U++ Value, as the counterpart to PyObject, since it uses Object counting/referencing internally, without GC though
Previous Topic: Google Summer of Code
Next Topic: Redmine Tasks
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:23:51 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00902 seconds