FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Newbie corner » no build method in new install
no build method in new install [message #31869] Sat, 02 April 2011 09:17 Go to next message
jeromekjerome is currently offline  jeromekjerome
Hi, All! Sorry for stupid questions but everyone has to start somewhere.

Over the years I have been replacing the Microsoft products on my system with open source products. I rarely code any more but now I need to build a simple application to query a web site and return results. I've built a lot of these little apps before in C++ using Visual Studio. For example, when I suspected my wife of cheating on me and learned the phone number of her lover, I built an app that queried the Michigan State University telephone directory web site on name search (there was no search on telephone number), until I found the number and its address.

Recently my hard drive went down and I had to reinstall WinXP. My Thinkpad came with Vista but was downgraded to WinXP before I bought it. I have the install disks so I could reinstall Vista but getting back to the licensed copy of WinXP seemed like a nearly impossible task considering the Thinkpad was bought in America and I live permanently in Moscow. So I just reinstalled XP from a pirated copy I've had for years. Now MS will not allow me the components I need to use Visual Studio because it can't validate the copy of XP and consequently I downloaded and installed U++. Better this way anyway. I don't have the energy to argue with MS constantly.

My plan would be to modify one of my old apps and recompile it in U++. As a first step I would like to do a test compile of a standard U++ app, like "Hello World." But when I try to do that, I get "invalid built method." And when I look at the build methods in setup, I see there is absolutely nothing in the dialog box for build methods.

Obviously I need some help here. This is not a complex problem. This is a fresh, clean installation. It's just that I am a rank beginner on U++ and I don't even know how to set it up. Can someone suggest how to fix this or what to read in order to understand what I need to do?

Thanks.
Re: no build method in new install [message #31870 is a reply to message #31869] Sat, 02 April 2011 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jeromekjerome is currently offline  jeromekjerome
Progress...

Automatic Setup created a MINGW build method. I selected GCC as a builder. Hello World now compiles.
Re: no build method in new install [message #31871 is a reply to message #31869] Sat, 02 April 2011 17:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
not sure which version of GCC you have, but consider to use this one: http://tdm-gcc.tdragon.net/
Also check the version of UPP, if you are up to date.
Although even some very old installer with bundled old gcc would be probably enough for your current needs.
Re: no build method in new install [message #31872 is a reply to message #31871] Sat, 02 April 2011 17:24 Go to previous message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
Hello Jerome

Welcome here!

I agree with mr_ped.

Does everything compiles right now?

Best regards
IƱaki
Previous Topic: Examples Error
Next Topic: TabCtrl: How to add the close button(square) on the tab(s)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 00:26:22 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.06874 seconds