Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Newbie corner » Is this really a GUI RAD?
Is this really a GUI RAD? [message #31972] Wed, 13 April 2011 16:37 Go to next message
wildcode is currently offline  wildcode
found this via google listed on some website as a free GUI RAD, but the screen shots show an IDE rather than a RAD tool.

I've been programming backends and console apps for years and recently been wanting to try my hands at the front end for a future app I plan to write. Unfortunately the level of front end programming I need, the tutorials don't cover and no open source project comes close to what I want to do so I cant learn from them.

Other RAD tools I've tried have failed and I'm almost at the point where I may have to pay $$$$ for the tools I need.

And what I need is a form based RAD that will allow me to tie backend functions to actions on the form, writing the code for the front end as it goes, then allowing me to modify that code.

Call me lazy but this would be ideal.

Re: Is this really a GUI RAD? [message #31973 is a reply to message #31972] Wed, 13 April 2011 16:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BioBytes is currently offline  BioBytes
Hi,

Please could you give details about the RAD tool you wish? Do yo mean a development tool like DELPHI or VISUAL C++ ?

U++ is not really a RAD tool but it is oriented in such a way that builing forms (windows?!) and interacting visual components is easy. Writing C++ code is also funny when you compared with other tools like wxWidgets for instance.

Cheers

Biobytes
Re: Is this really a GUI RAD? [message #31974 is a reply to message #31973] Wed, 13 April 2011 17:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wildcode is currently offline  wildcode
looks like I need to read up more, start the app and couldnt find out to create a new file, would only allow me to open existing ones Sad

Anyways, yeah much like delphi and I think visual C++ when you can create a form, and then attack functions to the actions on the form. Once you visually have the layout done, you can work on the supporting functions.

I was trying to use other IDE's and the best one I came across decided it'd be funny to complain loudly if I had the source in more than 1 file Sad but its all source, you have to know how to create the layout in code. The problem I have is I want to experiment with layout then work on the code supporting it.
Re: Is this really a GUI RAD? [message #31975 is a reply to message #31972] Wed, 13 April 2011 17:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

Hi wildcode

Welcome to the forum Wink

wildcode wrote on Wed, 13 April 2011 16:37

And what I need is a form based RAD that will allow me to tie backend functions to actions on the form, writing the code for the front end as it goes, then allowing me to modify that code.

Call me lazy but this would be ideal.

That's not being lazy, that is being efficient:) And U++ tries to provide just that...

Theide layout designer lets you design the "frontend" part. The layouts (I guess layout matches form in windows terminology...) can be used for anything from main application window, through simple dialog window, the contents of a tab or even to create a widget consisting of several widgets (nested in one layout and interacting with each other).

The layout is usually used as a base for class which then represents the GUI object. You just add some "backend" functions and tie them to the widgets using callbacks for specific actions (e.g. WhenFocus,WhenAction,...) and/or override some virtual methods (e.g. MouseDown,Key,...). That is pretty much everything you need to do to create a basic application, I guess it is quite RAD Smile

For some more info have a look in the GUI tutorial, especially section 16, which describes how the layouts work.

Best regards,
Honza
Re: Is this really a GUI RAD? [message #31976 is a reply to message #31974] Wed, 13 April 2011 18:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

wildcode wrote on Wed, 13 April 2011 17:27

looks like I need to read up more, start the app and couldnt find out to create a new file, would only allow me to open existing ones Sad

Look at Getting started with TheIDE. It explains the basic tasks and philosophy, including the very frequently asked question "how to create file". The answer is actually really simple: just use open and write the name of new file into the file selection dialog, it will be created Wink

Honza
Re: Is this really a GUI RAD? [message #31977 is a reply to message #31976] Wed, 13 April 2011 19:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BioBytes is currently offline  BioBytes
Hi Wildcode,

I would like to add just some few information to what was given by Honza. U++ comes with gorgeous code examples. Try to compile some package like UWord, SDLexample or HomeBudget and you will see yourself how the IDE is helpful to develop robust and functional applications. I'll finish with that U++ can use MingW32 or MSC8/MSC9 compilers and that connection with databases like MySql and PostGreSql is easy using ODBC embedded library.

Regards and try it

Biobytes
Re: Is this really a GUI RAD? [message #31985 is a reply to message #31977] Thu, 14 April 2011 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cbpporter is currently offline  cbpporter
Ultimate Contributor
While U++ is not in the same class of RAD as Delphi, it is just as easy or easier to write complex applications with it, with the added benefit of cross platform code and the power of C++. In Delphi you edit all properties and assign all event in the layout editor and only code the logic. In U++ you give the general layout and outline in the layout editor, and do a little more in the code. But the layouts you create are more flexible and can be applied to things that are not just main windows.

And Visual C++ is in no way RAD and I am sure people who used it agree. It is just visual.If you consider Visual C++ RAD, you will find U++ being Super RAD Smile.
Re: Is this really a GUI RAD? [message #31991 is a reply to message #31985] Fri, 15 April 2011 06:30 Go to previous message
Lance is currently offline  Lance
Contributor
Welcome aboard. I am sure you can create your dream program with U++. I am learning to use U++ too.
Previous Topic: TabCtrl: How to add the close button(square) on the tab(s)
Next Topic: Image in database
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 22:06:40 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.07434 seconds