Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Newbie corner » Tell me more about U++ please.
Tell me more about U++ please. [message #31519] Wed, 09 March 2011 12:02 Go to next message
ASin is currently offline  ASin
Hi!

I can`t find in FAQ answer for my questions:

1. On which OS u++ is worked? Can I see full list of them?
2. Is U++ using native UI for each OS, or render UI by self?
3. It is hard or easy create custom ui control on U++? (custom = like owner-draw on Wondows UI)

PS: if I speak not clearly - asked what is not understand, english isn`t my native language, but I make an effort very much
Re: Tell me more about U++ please. [message #31520 is a reply to message #31519] Wed, 09 March 2011 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
ASin wrote on Wed, 09 March 2011 12:02

Hi!

I can`t find in FAQ answer for my questions:

1. On which OS u++ is worked? Can I see full list of them?
2. Is U++ using native UI for each OS, or render UI by self?
3. It is hard or easy create custom ui control on U++? (custom = like owner-draw on Wondows UI)

PS: if I speak not clearly - asked what is not understand, english isn`t my native language, but I make an effort very much

Hello ASin

Fast response:

1. U++ runs in Windows and Linux. There are other OSs being developed

2. U++ renders itself but following OS look

3. It is very easy to create your own controls. There is a reference in point 21. here.

A good way to see it is just download it and run some simple examples.

If you have any additional questions just ask Smile.

Best regards
IƱaki
Re: Tell me more about U++ please. [message #31521 is a reply to message #31520] Wed, 09 March 2011 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

koldo wrote on Wed, 09 March 2011 12:14

1. U++ runs in Windows and Linux. There are other OSs being developed

U++ also runs very well on FreeBSD, OpenBSD (and very likely also on other BSD systems) and if I remember correctly, Solaris used to be supported as well Wink Also the Core and most of the internals works on Mac OS X, the only problem right now is with GUI (and therefore lack of theide), but that is being worked on lately, as Koldo mentioned. Generally U++ should run (or be easy to ported to any UNIX-like system) in addition to Windows XP and newer (Win 98 is not officially supported anymore, but most of U++ still works there too).

Best regards,
Honza
Re: Tell me more about U++ please. [message #31645 is a reply to message #31521] Fri, 18 March 2011 19:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lance is currently offline  Lance
Contributor
I registered in 2007 and am still a newbie (which I am not proud of). I deeply regret that I did not choose to stay with it.

If you have reasonably good C++ background && ( don't want to pay for Visual Studio Non-free version || cross-platform is a concern), you should seriously consider U++.

The best part with U++ is that it couldn't be simpler to develop your own control or even to revise certain part of the core library if you know for sure what you are doing (not recommended as update of UPP will erase your work unless you can somehow have it committed to the main branch Smile

The only drawback with upp is it's lack of popularity. Unlike GTK+/QT, there is not a GNOME/KDE behind it to create a huge community. I recently found out that the current U++ font implementation did not support non-western fonts really well. I attribute it to the size of the UPP community. That's why it's very important that more C++ programmers like you appreciate the beauty of U++ and join us.

You time spend with a C++ GUI that's non-UPP could well be wasted, as is the case with me.

Re: Tell me more about U++ please. [message #31661 is a reply to message #31645] Sat, 19 March 2011 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nlneilson is currently offline  nlneilson
Contributor
I am a 1 year newbie.
With help from the forum I am able to accomplish what I need.

Upp apps run good when compiled for Win or Linux.
Win .exe apps also run OK in Linux using Wine with a few glitches.

Upp and theIde are great to work with.

The biggest drawback of Upp is the lack of a comprehensive Manual.

Neil

[Updated on: Sat, 19 March 2011 01:33]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Tell me more about U++ please. [message #31961 is a reply to message #31661] Tue, 12 April 2011 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor
This is from another thread.
dolik.rce wrote on Tue, 05 April 2011 19:10

All the important content from the webpage (excluding forum) is available within theide, so being off-line shouldn't be much of a problem...

Very Good!!

This was my biggest problem when being away from an internet connection. Otherwise the help on this forum is great.

Neil
Re: Tell me more about U++ please. [message #31963 is a reply to message #31645] Tue, 12 April 2011 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jibe is currently offline  jibe
Experienced Member
Hi,

Hi,

I'm just re-discovering U++... I tried it some years ago, but I had a lot of work with old big applications that could not be migrated on U++ for several reasons...

Lance wrote on Fri, 18 March 2011 19:08

If you have reasonably good C++ background && ( don't want to pay for Visual Studio Non-free version || cross-platform is a concern), you should seriously consider U++.

Sorry, I don't agree... Why could not you learn C++ with U++ ? U++ has a special use of C++ that makes it very efficient, but is very confusing for experienced C++ programmers.

It's not a big problem, it just takes some more time than to change from a well-known compiler to another well-known one. But I must say that you can have very kind and efficient help in the forum : this compensates the lack of documentation.

And so, I think that it's as easy to learn C++ with U++ than with any other compiler/IDE, since you can immediately adopt the approach of C++ by U++ and you have no others habits to change.

And if you are an experienced C++ programmer, after some time to change your habits, you'll see that you're more efficient and that you can easily adapt your code to others platforms.
Re: Tell me more about U++ please. [message #31992 is a reply to message #31963] Fri, 15 April 2011 06:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor
U++ has a special use of C++ that makes it very efficient, but is very confusing for experienced C++ programmers.

I found the U++ way understandable. 5-7 years back I have actually did something to address the object copy inefficiency problem ( I call it moveswap), so its motivation is easily understood to me (destructive copy/assignment, aka pick semantics)

You're right that for certain group of c++ programmers, U++ could be very different from what they learn from textbooks.
Re: Tell me more about U++ please. [message #31993 is a reply to message #31519] Fri, 15 April 2011 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jibe is currently offline  jibe
Experienced Member
Hi,

Yes, you're right : it's understandable. Just unusual and comfusing for some experienced programmers.

And because it's understandable, it's very possible to be used by C/C++ beginners Smile
Re: Tell me more about U++ please. [message #31996 is a reply to message #31993] Sat, 16 April 2011 18:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novo is currently offline  Novo
Ultimate Contributor
jibe wrote on Fri, 15 April 2011 03:14

Hi,

Yes, you're right : it's understandable. Just unusual and comfusing for some experienced programmers.

And because it's understandable, it's very possible to be used by C/C++ beginners Smile

Upp should be used especially by beginners because it is simple and elegant.

I personally prefer not to put labels like "experienced" or "not experienced" on developers because there are thousands areas of expertise in software development and in C++ in particular. Being familiar with STL and MFC doesn't make one experienced in other areas. Smile

Regards,
Novo
Re: Tell me more about U++ please. [message #32012 is a reply to message #31996] Sun, 17 April 2011 00:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor
A person used to a different IDE with it's Help needs to "unlearn" that and get used to Upp, theIDE and the Help structure.

Much better Help (especially off-line) than a year ago.

Neil
Re: Tell me more about U++ please. [message #32039 is a reply to message #32012] Tue, 19 April 2011 06:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor
A side topic:

With RValue reference introduction in C++0x and currently available in more recent version of VC++ and g++, the driving force behind maybe Mirek's invention of the Upp pick semantics seems to be no longer exist. Anything we currently pick, we can do it with move constructor and move assignment.

Of course I don't think it's necessary for the U++ team to invest a huge lot of resources on just making it more standard compliant.

Re: Tell me more about U++ please. [message #32045 is a reply to message #32039] Tue, 19 April 2011 07:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Lance wrote on Tue, 19 April 2011 00:12

A side topic:

With RValue reference introduction in C++0x and currently available in more recent version of VC++ and g++, the driving force behind maybe Mirek's invention of the Upp pick semantics seems to be no longer exist. Anything we currently pick, we can do it with move constructor and move assignment.

There is one technical reason not to convert to move operator: It does not provide composition rules.

In U++

struct Foo {
    int x;
    Vector<Bar> bar;
};

automatically gets compiler generated pick constructor/assignement. With move operator, you would have to implement them. Which is quite tedious and error-prone especially if you have more member variables.

[Updated on: Tue, 19 April 2011 07:47]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Tell me more about U++ please. [message #32051 is a reply to message #32045] Tue, 19 April 2011 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor

There is a discussion going on regarding implicit move operators. I don't see it get resolved in favor of implicit move.

Re: Tell me more about U++ please. [message #32062 is a reply to message #32051] Tue, 19 April 2011 19:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Lance wrote on Tue, 19 April 2011 08:02

There is a discussion going on regarding implicit move operators. I don't see it get resolved in favor of implicit move.

Again? Smile Well, the new standard is out, so you might wait another 10 years... Smile

Anyway, if there would not be this issue, I would happily

#define pick_ &&

Smile

Mirek
Re: Tell me more about U++ please. [message #32070 is a reply to message #32062] Wed, 20 April 2011 02:46 Go to previous message
Contributor
nice.

The speed they turn out new c++ standard and library is killing the language.
Previous Topic: Image in database
Next Topic: Add line to pop_up box
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 11:01:30 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03766 seconds