FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » Commercial applications developed with U++
Re: Commercial applications developed with U++ [message #32727 is a reply to message #32131] Sat, 04 June 2011 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
281264 is currently offline  281264
Experienced Member
I agree, some learning videos would be fantastic and it may attract new programmers.

I wouldn’t say that the documentation is excellent; in my humble opinion is ok. To me, after a first period, I feel comfortable working with U++ now. However there are many tools/functions not fully documented, and I think it is a pity. Nevertheless, U++ community is excellent.

Best wishes,

Javier
Re: Commercial applications developed with U++ [message #32731 is a reply to message #28971] Sat, 04 June 2011 15:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bruce1948 is currently offline  bruce1948
Hi,
As a newbie I'd like add my thoughts.

I've been programming for 40 years now (I'm now retired). I was looking for a RAD like toolkit for a project that has personal interest for me and that I now have time to do. U++ fits the bill perfectly, more documentation would be useful and IMO would gain more users. From what I've seen the help on the forum is excellent but some people don't like to ask for help, they prefer to use the documentation, when people like this see that all they need is not documented they will look elsewhere.

Just my thoughts

Bruce
Re: Commercial applications developed with U++ [message #32743 is a reply to message #32731] Sun, 05 June 2011 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gprentice is currently offline  gprentice
Experienced Member
bruce1948 wrote on Sun, 05 June 2011 01:59

Hi,
As a newbie I'd like add my thoughts.

I've been programming for 40 years now (I'm now retired). I was looking for a RAD like toolkit for a project that has personal interest for me and that I now have time to do. U++ fits the bill perfectly, more documentation would be useful and IMO would gain more users. From what I've seen the help on the forum is excellent but some people don't like to ask for help, they prefer to use the documentation, when people like this see that all they need is not documented they will look elsewhere.

I agree with you but I think it's even more important to have a proper help infrastructure so if you have some time on your hands you could have a look at the "advanced T++ help system" proposal here
http://www.ultimatepp.org/gsoc$uppweb$ideas2011$en-us.html

I'm still keen to do this myself if things ever settle down for me coz it should be fun, but anyone else is welcome to.

Graeme

[Updated on: Sun, 05 June 2011 12:31]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Commercial applications developed with U++ [message #32860 is a reply to message #32727] Wed, 15 June 2011 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
harmac is currently offline  harmac
Promising Member
281264 wrote on Sat, 04 June 2011 10:32

I agree, some learning videos would be fantastic and it may attract new programmers.

I wouldn’t say that the documentation is excellent; in my humble opinion is ok. To me, after a first period, I feel comfortable working with U++ now. However there are many tools/functions not fully documented, and I think it is a pity. Nevertheless, U++ community is excellent.

I couldn't agree more. Video tutorials can be very attractive, if done right. There is already one linked on the front page, but unfortunately it seems to require Flash to watch it, and it has no proper download link, so I couldn't watch it so far. It would be great to provide if more were prepared and made better accessible.

As regards documentation, I've read in a number of threads and posts here that not everything seems to be properly documented, which is a pity and also a bad habit. Good programming approach would be to write documentation and functionality specification before writing the implementation. It may be convenient to hack something without a specification but then you cannot tell apart bugs from features (what is the behaviour of something that is not defined?).

To bring this thread at least somewhat back to its original topic, I think that incomplete documentation certainly hinders commercial adoption in general, and rightfully so. When I was first looking for programming libraries around for GUI programming, which may now already be some years back, I've also read about WTL as an alternative to MFC, but I couldn't locate proper documentation. User comments were very positive about WTL, but is it widely used? From what I read, it certainly lacks documentation.

mdelfede wrote on Mon, 04 October 2010 22:01

When I first met U++ I was scared about the way things were done, and also because of theide appearance.... and I lost almost 1 year before going back to it, after trying some other libraries and IDEs.

Lance wrote on Tue, 26 April 2011 02:19

I also registered in 2007 (the year you registered), but I wasted some more years!

Interesting to see that there are more people who didn't make use of U++ until after some time but later came to believe that it would have been a good idea to embrace it earlier. I've also procrastinated learning C++ and U++ so far, but I intend to change that. Hopefully, it will turn out as good.
Re: Commercial applications developed with U++ [message #32862 is a reply to message #32731] Wed, 15 June 2011 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
harmac is currently offline  harmac
Promising Member
bruce1948 wrote on Sat, 04 June 2011 15:59

From what I've seen the help on the forum is excellent but some people don't like to ask for help, they prefer to use the documentation, when people like this see that all they need is not documented they will look elsewhere.

I can relate to that with respect to asking for help. I feel a bit hesitant to bother people with the newbie questions that I would have. The people on this forum are extraordinarily responsive even to new users, from my impression, but I somehow think that therein also lies a scaling problem. The top-down approach to the problem would be to try to provide excellent documentation in the first place, which may also turn out as a good thing for the original implementor in the event he feels the need for a refactoring or somesuch to get a high-level overview of what he has done and also to provide better documentation for users to migrate, which may be good to make people feel U++ suitable for commercial adoption.
Re: Commercial applications developed with U++ [message #33274 is a reply to message #32862] Thu, 21 July 2011 23:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
281264 is currently offline  281264
Experienced Member
I agree; if a well written/structured book about U++ were published, we would probably witness a sizeable number of programmers flocking to U++.

Best wishes,

Javier
Re: Commercial applications developed with U++ [message #33277 is a reply to message #33274] Fri, 22 July 2011 09:23 Go to previous message
cbpporter is currently offline  cbpporter
Ultimate Contributor
281264 wrote on Fri, 22 July 2011 00:12

I agree; if a well written/structured book about U++ were published, we would probably witness a sizeable number of programmers flocking to U++.

Best wishes,

Javier

Now it is easier than ever with Kindle self-publishing! Cost are near zero. No publisher that will only accept N number of books for print and who evaluates your saleability. All we need is a good writer with time on his/her hands! Razz
Previous Topic: Is "luluxiu" real, (spam)bot, or an attempt at breeding AI? :)
Next Topic: Windows 7 and U++
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 07:12:22 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02502 seconds