Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » U++ Core » several languages in the same String?
several languages in the same String? [message #323] Thu, 08 December 2005 03:28 Go to next message
fudadmin is currently offline  fudadmin
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
can I have several languages in the same String? e.g EN, LT, RU etc?
Re: several languages in the same String? [message #332 is a reply to message #323] Thu, 08 December 2005 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
fudadmin wrote on Wed, 07 December 2005 21:28

can I have several languages in the same String? e.g EN, LT, RU etc?

String is nothing than set of bytes, You can store anything to the String. In fact, it is as widely used to store binary data as to store texts.

However, when it comes to internationalization, you have to define (somewhere) encoding of characters in bytes. Now for legacy support, U++ allows you to set a global encoding for application. New applications should use UTF-8 there and the rest of library is able to handle that (performing all necessary conversions on the fly).

If you are about to process i18n texts as character array, you will probably use 16-bit WString. There are implicit conversions between WString and String using global encoding.

A little bit unrelated issue is internationalization of application (which for most time means, translation of texts). Description of U++ i18n features can be found here:

http://upp.sourceforge.net/srcdoc$Core$i18n$en-us.html
Re: several languages in the same String? [message #335 is a reply to message #332] Thu, 08 December 2005 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
fox has removed wstring...
and adie recognizes international languages and converts automatically. Can U++ users have the same?
Re: several languages in the same String? [message #337 is a reply to message #335] Thu, 08 December 2005 14:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
to be more precise not only adie but FXText...
Re: several languages in the same String? [message #339 is a reply to message #335] Thu, 08 December 2005 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
WString != std::wstring.

What do you mean by "adie recognizes international languages and converts automatically"?
Re: several languages in the same String? [message #342 is a reply to message #339] Thu, 08 December 2005 14:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
luzr wrote on Thu, 08 December 2005 08:10

WString != std::wstring.

What do you mean by "adie recognizes international languages and converts automatically"?

in the latest, there is no more need either FXWString nor std:wstring....
Re: several languages in the same String? [message #346 is a reply to message #342] Thu, 08 December 2005 14:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Yes, I have tried that path (single String for everything, encoding stored with String, with the possibility of storing 16-bit values) too, proved very limiting and hard to use.
Re: several languages in the same String? [message #349 is a reply to message #346] Thu, 08 December 2005 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
luzr wrote on Thu, 08 December 2005 08:30

Yes, I have tried that path (single String for everything, encoding stored with String, with the possibility of storing 16-bit values) too, proved very limiting and hard to use.

that's why UWord 1 document is for 1 language? Smile Or ?
Re: several languages in the same String? [message #352 is a reply to message #349] Thu, 08 December 2005 16:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
RichEdit is completely unrelated here, however, in RichEdit/RichText the language is character style - you can have as many langs in single text as you want...
Re: several languages in the same String? [message #353 is a reply to message #352] Thu, 08 December 2005 18:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
luzr wrote on Thu, 08 December 2005 10:20

RichEdit is completely unrelated here, however, in RichEdit/RichText the language is character style - you can have as many langs in single text as you want...

Great!Great!Great! It's unrelated Smile But it really works in UWord Smile. You need to click on the body of drop-down list on the left of spellcheck button... Uhh, documentation... I'll go through the sources.

P.S. That should switch your keyboard or should be switchable from keyboard ... Smile

Re: several languages in the same String? [message #355 is a reply to message #353] Thu, 08 December 2005 18:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Well, I know that at one time, some Win32 apps had behaviour to change the language of characters entered to the one actually setup for keyboard. I always considered that as the most annoying Smile

I do not know what current behavour in MS Word is, but OpenOffice writer has it unrelated to kbd settings...
Re: several languages in the same String? [message #360 is a reply to message #355] Thu, 08 December 2005 20:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
luzr wrote on Thu, 08 December 2005 12:57

Well, I know that at one time, some Win32 apps had behaviour to change the language of characters entered to the one actually setup for keyboard. I always considered that as the most annoying Smile

I do not know what current behavour in MS Word is, but OpenOffice writer has it unrelated to kbd settings...

Does it mean that I need to change the settings in UWord and then try to adjust the keyboard by switching it, like it is now, or there are some hidden key combinations?... Smile
Re: several languages in the same String? [message #363 is a reply to message #360] Thu, 08 December 2005 20:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Yes. Keyboard and current language are unrelated.
Re: several languages in the same String? [message #365 is a reply to message #363] Thu, 08 December 2005 21:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
luzr wrote on Thu, 08 December 2005 14:39

Yes. Keyboard and current language are unrelated.

shell I have a separate "Wishlist"? Rolling Eyes Very Happy
Re: several languages in the same String? [message #366 is a reply to message #365] Thu, 08 December 2005 21:33 Go to previous message
Ultimate Member
If you insist.... However, I am just following behaviour of apps I know.
Previous Topic: type safety and type casting in U++
Next Topic: does U++ use Smalltalk(Java) approach? [SOLVED] -No.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 19:13:39 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03032 seconds