FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Newbie corner » Best Unicode strategy
Best Unicode strategy [message #34325] Sat, 12 November 2011 09:34 Go to next message
conrad is currently offline  conrad
Promising Member
Case:
Database access via a managed c++ wrapper package to .Net assemblies. In the .Net universe Strings are utf16.

As I understand it, U++ is by default "unicode aware" by virtue of its widgets understanding utf8.
A simple test revealed that I can feed a mixed English & Chinese char* to PromptOK like:

PromptOK( "Chinese (汉语/漢語, Pinyin: Hànyǔ; 华语/華語, Huáyǔ; or 中文, Zhōngwén)" );

Since most U++ text widgets take in String (not WString) I need to
make a decision as to what to transport.

As I see it there are 2 options:
1. Use String and pay the cost for many needed string manipulations since String itself is not really utf8 aware. I.o.w. many temp conversions to WString and back.
2. Use WString and convert to a String (utf8 somehow - not with ToString() since that uses a character set) before passing on to U++ widgets/drawing routines.

I'd like to hear what strategy other user of U++ have used?
I wonder if I have missed out on something or not dug deep enough.

Conrad
Re: Best Unicode strategy [message #34326 is a reply to message #34325] Sat, 12 November 2011 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
conrad wrote on Sat, 12 November 2011 03:34

Case:
Database access via a managed c++ wrapper package to .Net assemblies. In the .Net universe Strings are utf16.

As I understand it, U++ is by default "unicode aware" by virtue of its widgets understanding utf8.
A simple test revealed that I can feed a mixed English & Chinese char* to PromptOK like:

PromptOK( "Chinese (汉语/漢語, Pinyin: Hànyǔ; 华语/華語, Huáyǔ; or 中文, Zhōngwén)" );

Since most U++ text widgets take in String (not WString) I need to
make a decision as to what to transport.

As I see it there are 2 options:
1. Use String and pay the cost for many needed string manipulations since String itself is not really utf8 aware. I.o.w. many temp conversions to WString and back.
2. Use WString and convert to a String (utf8 somehow - not with ToString() since that uses a character set) before passing on to U++ widgets/drawing routines.

I'd like to hear what strategy other user of U++ have used?
I wonder if I have missed out on something or not dug deep enough.

Conrad

My default strategy is to use utf-8 (or default charset, for legacy) String everywhere and only convert to WString if necessary; this involves either manipulation with individual characters (in that situation, I convert String->WString, do the operation, then WString->String) or dealing with 3rd party (your case).

String itself is much more efficient that WString in many situations, like storage, comparison, copy, maps. Dealing with database library, you are likely to spend much more time in database than by converting String->WString.

BTW, ToString (and ToWString) is perfectly adequate too (it converts from/to default charset, which, by default, is utf-8).

Mirek
Re: Best Unicode strategy [message #34329 is a reply to message #34326] Sat, 12 November 2011 20:57 Go to previous message
conrad is currently offline  conrad
Promising Member
Many thanks for your input.
Conrad
Previous Topic: How to connect to native MySql
Next Topic: New and GUI Problem with TabCtrl
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 02:48:48 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02106 seconds