Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Newbie corner » GLUT
GLUT [message #36378] Wed, 23 May 2012 13:25 Go to next message
keltor is currently offline  keltor
Simple and to the point: Is there a way to use GLUT in GLCtrl?

Long version: I have GLUT installed and working, and I can also run (and fiddle with) the OpenGL example in the Reference package. However, I would like to draw spheres, cones and such with GLUT.

If I add the #include <GL/glut.h> but do nothing with it, there's no problem and it runs fine. But if I then try to run a function such as glutSolidSphere, the program compiles but it doesn't run properly. To be more specific, the main window starts but gets destroyed immediately.

I am a little confused by the functions that I should and should not call, since GLCtrl takes care of part of them. Are there any other initialisations I should run before drawing glut objects? Or is there simply no way to make it work? I haven't found any glut examples in the docs and forum, so I am rather lost here. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Kel
Re: GLUT [message #36422 is a reply to message #36378] Fri, 25 May 2012 21:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BioBytes is currently offline  BioBytes
Hi Keltor,

If I am not wrong, GLUT toolkit is not open source as Mark Kilgard maintains the copyright.

Did you study in detail the U++ example "OpenGl" in reference assembly ? the code uses GlCtrl.

I think there is a lot of features that could interest you Smile .

Regards

Biobytes
Re: GLUT [message #36429 is a reply to message #36378] Sat, 26 May 2012 21:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi BioBytes,

Thanks for the reply. I didn't think of the license aspect of the problem...

I haven't got much experience with OpenGL, but I do understand (I think) the example you mentioned. I just thought that it would be more convenient to use the GLUT library instead of manually drawing spheres or tori...

Well, I guess I can do it "the hard way" nonetheless.

Thanks again.
Re: GLUT [message #36481 is a reply to message #36378] Thu, 31 May 2012 10:38 Go to previous message
I had set this problem aside, but I just realised that instead of GLUT, one could use freeglut, which is open source and comes with an unrestrictive license (X-Consortium license).

So, if anyone manages to integrate freeglut with U++, I think this would be taking GLCtrl to a new, more practical, dimension...
Previous Topic: Problem with Refreshing GUI...
Next Topic: How to make a point follow the mouse through windows 7
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:16:35 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01678 seconds