Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Newbie corner » Serious Hex Editor
Serious Hex Editor [message #36277] Thu, 17 May 2012 18:59 Go to next message
AGNUcius is currently offline  AGNUcius
Hello all,

This is my first post, so thought I'd put it here.

I have been programming with Visual Studio since around 1995.

I have used U++ only a small amount - for hello-world kind of stuff, just getting a feel for it.

In my work now, I must view (not necessarily edit) very large files - sometimes over 2 Terabytes.

I've recently started using http://www.wxHexEditor.org for that work, and am impressed with some of it's abilities, but also want to add much more.

But wxWidgets is not as exciting to me as the U++ way, and so I am considering reimplementing the project completely.

I was wondering if anyone here has started down this road already, or maybe some cautions about how not to go about this.

Sincerely,
Patrick Anderson
Economic Systems Engineer

[Updated on: Thu, 17 May 2012 19:00]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Serious Hex Editor [message #36539 is a reply to message #36277] Wed, 06 June 2012 07:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
E.U.A is currently offline  E.U.A
Hi AGNUcius,
Firstly, thank you about compliments to my program wxHexEditor.
As you understand, I am the author.

I build wxHexEditor for filling gap. There is no linux GUIed hex editor that could open huge files/devices. That is my goal and it's achieved.

But I don't understand what is the goal of forking and replacing the GUI with U++? If you want to do that for just a self enjoyment, I have nothing to say. But I believe that doesn't cure anything. There are no real goal on it.

I don't think if it's good idea of re-implementing of a half project. wxHexEditor doesn't have some basic features like writing images to disks or even settings panel. If you wonder, I am also thinking on moving just draw functions to OpenGL base for fast scrolling...

Instead of fighting with GUI (which sounds meaningless to me), why don't you work on new tools? You could cure some missing functions with it. I have many items on my to do list, if you interested with joining development.
Regards.
Erdem
Re: Serious Hex Editor [message #36541 is a reply to message #36539] Wed, 06 June 2012 08:40 Go to previous message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
Hello Patrick

I agree with Erdem. IMHO it is good to do small projects to show interesting features. However it is different when doing real projects.

There are so many interesting things to be done in open projects or to be ported to Linux that it is a pity to spend a lot of hours in reinventing wheels, with similar license Smile.

I know that many people does not think like me but this is just my opinion.

Best regards
IƱaki
Previous Topic: How to make a point follow the mouse through windows 7
Next Topic: Need help with SQL code
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 18:05:24 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02858 seconds