Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Newbie corner » Help system
Help system [message #37571] Fri, 19 October 2012 12:16 Go to next message
keltor is currently offline  keltor
Hi everyone,

I am trying to decide whether to go with the usual CHM files for documenting my programs, or instead use the Topic++ system. I'd rather go for the second since I find it more convenient, however there is at the moment a lack of documentation in this respect.

I would like to do something similar to what the TheIDE help does: a menu with tree-like TOC, previous-next buttons, search, and so on -- I think we are all quite familiar with it. I know I could try and follow the Topic++ and TheIDE code itself; however, the code is also not annotated, so that too would be difficult.

Has anyone managed to do something similar? Can you give me some tips to guide me in the right direction?

The other alternative, using CHM files, is certainly easier for me. So far I am simply doing
system("filename.chm");
but this solution pops up an ugly cmd aside from the help. Is there a better command that hasn't got this side effect?

Thanks,

Kel
Re: Help system [message #37577 is a reply to message #37571] Fri, 19 October 2012 19:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BioBytes is currently offline  BioBytes
Hi Keltor,

I really prefer Topic++ functionality as there is no need to deal with help files to add with installation exe. However sometimes softwares for designing help system are really creative and permits some additional features.

Did you try Systart from SysExec module ? I use this function in my application to allow the user to start MySql administrator.

Regards
Biobytes
Re: Help system [message #37578 is a reply to message #37571] Fri, 19 October 2012 20:59 Go to previous message
keltor is currently offline  keltor
That really did the trick. I was unaware of the SysExec package, now I see that it does exactly what I was looking for. I had, however, to invoke hh.exe (the Windows Help viewer) instead of calling the CHM file directly:

SysStart("hh.exe", "helpfile.chm");

I guess for now I will stick to the ordinary CHM help system. Thanks Biobytes!
Previous Topic: What's wrong now ? CtrlLayout
Next Topic: Output folder error
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 05:14:55 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03054 seconds