Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Newbie corner » Copy\Paste Between Project Files Doesn't work
Copy\Paste Between Project Files Doesn't work [message #37637] Mon, 29 October 2012 23:54 Go to next message
nejnadusho is currently offline  nejnadusho
Hi,

I have never experience anything like that in any other application.

I am trying to move some code from .cpp file to a .h file and it does not happen.

To make it work I have to copy the code from the .cpp and paste it to an outside notepad file and from there again copy it and paste it to the .h file I want to move the code.

The direct approach from .cpp to .h does not work.

I do not know if that is a bug or a matter of my OS.

Also I cannot copy and paste in the same file too.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.
Nejnio

[Updated on: Tue, 30 October 2012 03:14]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Copy\Paste Between Project Files Doesn't work [message #37650 is a reply to message #37637] Tue, 30 October 2012 17:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Do you have recent version?

In past, I have fixed some issues with clipboard which were caused by well known race condition inherent to Win32 clipboard system. Symptoms were most visible with terminal sessions or WMWARE running (because it has caused some delays when putting data to clipbpard). That was about 10 months ago, but perhaps well past last year's release...

Mirek
Re: Copy\Paste Between Project Files Doesn't work [message #37654 is a reply to message #37637] Tue, 30 October 2012 19:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nlneilson is currently offline  nlneilson
Contributor
nejnadusho: What OS are you on??

I don't recall ever having a problem copying from the U++ IDE to notepad, an Eclipse IDE for Java or anywhere else, it goes into the clipboard.

Unless you have a real old U++ it could be a problem with your OS.

The daily build is now 5494.

The more you use U++ the better you will like it.

[Updated on: Tue, 30 October 2012 19:34]

Re: Copy\Paste Between Project Files Doesn't work [message #37655 is a reply to message #37637] Tue, 30 October 2012 21:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

My U++ version is 5390.
My OS Win 7 service pack 1.

Should I upgrade it?

Thanks.
nejnio
Re: Copy\Paste Between Project Files Doesn't work [message #37660 is a reply to message #37655] Wed, 31 October 2012 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor
Yes, upgrade to the latest daily U++ build.

With Win7 there should not be a problem with copy/paste.

Just rename your current upp directory upp5390
Download the latest Nightly build and install

After you select the text when you right click on it your mouse needs to be a little higher on the line than usual or your selected text will lose the selection.
Try that first.

edit: The U++ devs might consider changing the center of the mouse icon for the pick point to the tip unless there is a reason not to. Very Happy

[Updated on: Wed, 31 October 2012 08:27]

Re: Copy\Paste Between Project Files Doesn't work [message #37666 is a reply to message #37660] Wed, 31 October 2012 22:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Didier is currently offline  Didier
Contributor
Hi,

I already experienced things like that but I think the problem was only in one direction (don't remember which one).

There also some other similar problems like drag and drop which works only with some browser on linux :
http://www.ultimatepp.org/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=350 20&&srch=nautilus#msg_35020

[Updated on: Wed, 31 October 2012 22:25]

Re: Copy\Paste Between Project Files Doesn't work [message #37667 is a reply to message #37637] Wed, 31 October 2012 22:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HI,

Thanks for all your suggestions.
I already did upgrade to the latest version5500.

So far I have no problem.

BEst,

nejnio

Re: Copy\Paste Between Project Files Doesn't work [message #37706 is a reply to message #37667] Sun, 04 November 2012 17:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor
The code has been changed for the cursor to be I rather than an arrow. Good, that way it is intuitive to have it centered rather than the end of the arrow point.
Re: Copy\Paste Between Project Files Doesn't work [message #37708 is a reply to message #37637] Sun, 04 November 2012 19:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Unfortunately I am s till having that problem of not being able to copy/paste between windows in U++.

It is quite a bit frustrating because I have to use other apps like Notepad++ to go around that problem.

It occurs after working for a while.

Not sure what triggers it yet.

Will keep you posted.

Best,
nejnio
Re: Copy\Paste Between Project Files Doesn't work [message #37750 is a reply to message #37708] Thu, 08 November 2012 19:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
I have to admit that I suspect there is still some problem with Win32 clipboard code, sometimes I have feeling that Ctrl+C does not work as it should, but then I am typing quite fast with occasional mistypes, so I have attributed it to that...

Plus, no of my real users ever mentioned that (which, now thinking about it, could mean that it could be theide specific)...

Anyway, my symptoms are not as sever, it is more like perhaps one of 20 Ctrl+C pushes does not copy data to clipboard...

If I was able to reproduce the behaviour consistently, I guess fixing would be matter of hours at most...

Mirek

[Updated on: Thu, 08 November 2012 19:13]

Re: Copy\Paste Between Project Files Doesn't work [message #37751 is a reply to message #37637] Thu, 08 November 2012 19:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mirek,

From my experience with copy/paste in U++ I believe that the problem is not in copying on the clipboard but pasting from it on the same application(U++).

The reasons for what I believe in are that I am able to copy from U++ to any other application, but to another page( or even on the same page)in U++. As well as I am not able to paste into U++ anything from any external application.

I am trying to figure it out. So far no luck. No pattern = No repro! Sometimes happens sometimes not. But if it stops pasting, that is it. It does not start again until pc is restarted. However, even if the pc is being restarted still no guarantee that will be able to paste in U++.

Hope this is helpful.

Best,
Georgi

P.S.
Mirek, I observed another issue, in my opinion not important.
Where should I open a thread for it? Where should I report it?
Re: Copy\Paste Between Project Files Doesn't work [message #37752 is a reply to message #37751] Thu, 08 November 2012 20:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
nejnadusho wrote on Thu, 08 November 2012 13:50

Mirek,

From my experience with copy/paste in U++ I believe that the problem is not in copying on the clipboard but pasting from it on the same application(U++).

The reasons for what I believe in are that I am able to copy from U++ to any other application, but to another page( or even on the same page)in U++. As well as I am not able to paste into U++ anything from any external application.

I am trying to figure it out. So far no luck. No pattern = No repro! Sometimes happens sometimes not. But if it stops pasting, that is it. It does not start again until pc is restarted. However, even if the pc is being restarted still no guarantee that will be able to paste in U++.

Really weird. Any special software installed?

Quote:

Mirek, I observed another issue, in my opinion not important.
Where should I open a thread for it? Where should I report it?

Write it here, NP.

Mirek
Re: Copy\Paste Between Project Files Doesn't work [message #37753 is a reply to message #37637] Thu, 08 November 2012 21:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mirek,

On the non important issue.

In win7. When the upp app is docked on the task bar, if you right click on the app icon on top appeared the most recently used/launched projects.

Well, I believe that while I was using upp 5390 those recently launched projects were updating.

Now with 5495 they were updating to some point and then stopped updating and when I removed the entire list, this list never appeared again.

Best,
nejnio

P.S. I need some time to check what software I have on my pc.
Re: Copy\Paste Between Project Files Doesn't work [message #37754 is a reply to message #37753] Fri, 09 November 2012 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
nejnadusho wrote on Thu, 08 November 2012 15:17

Mirek,

On the non important issue.

In win7. When the upp app is docked on the task bar, if you right click on the app icon on top appeared the most recently used/launched projects.

Strange, there is not a single line of code in theide to support this... Smile

Mirek
Re: Copy\Paste Between Project Files Doesn't work [message #37756 is a reply to message #37637] Fri, 09 November 2012 19:19 Go to previous message
Mirek,

Very Happy Well at least I know now that this must be a feature of win7.

About the software on my pc...

Well I have tons of applications installed there. A random sample of them are: Adobe suit, Wireshark, SecuritySoftware, Visual studio2010&2012, Python, ... etc.

I assume this vague list is not very useful and if you believe it will be helpful I will make an effort and give you a complete list.

Let me know.

Best,
nejnio
Previous Topic: U++ Build 5485 Win32 with MinGW IDE problem
Next Topic: Shutdown procedure by clicking red x
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 30 22:56:28 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03083 seconds