Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » U++ community news and announcements » GTK backend
GTK backend [message #38651] Tue, 01 January 2013 11:53 Go to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
I have just commited "initial release" of GTK backend for U++.

What exactly it means: Instead of using X11 directly, this new code goes through GTK to reach X11. The reasons for this work:

- it was a nice training before getting involved with MacOS X Smile

- GTK encapsulates some atrocities of X11 (well, it replaces them with problems of its own, but still). GTK is now de-facto Linux standard, so we can expect it to run well on all distros.

- GTK itself supports some other platforms, so in theory it should be able to use U++ there too. Of special importance here is Wayland....

- It will be principally possible to use some of GTK+ dialogs (file selector!) in U++ apps, perhaps even some widgets once DHCtrl is implemented.

NOTE that this does not mean that U++ is now GTK based. We are only using single widget class from GTK: GtkWindow and implement all U++ widgets in CtrlLib...

Current stage is complete enough to run TheIDE and most of other U++ code, missing is DHCtrl, OpenGL support and TrayIcon.

X11 backend is still default; you can activate GTK backend by adding "GTK" to main flags. It is also possible to setup U++ build method to have this as default: Create guiplatform.h file somewhere, put "#define flagGTK" into it and the path to it to the include pathes in Build Methods.

Mirek
Re: GTK backend [message #38655 is a reply to message #38651] Tue, 01 January 2013 15:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lectus is currently offline  lectus
Thanks Mirek.

But I think a Qt backend would probably make U++ even more portable.

What do you think?
Re: GTK backend [message #38659 is a reply to message #38655] Tue, 01 January 2013 17:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
lectus wrote on Tue, 01 January 2013 09:23

Thanks Mirek.

But I think a Qt backend would probably make U++ even more portable.

What do you think?

Yes, that is perhaps correct. Anyway, portability was not all that high on the list.

Mirek

[Updated on: Tue, 01 January 2013 17:37]

Report message to a moderator

Re: GTK backend [message #38663 is a reply to message #38659] Wed, 02 January 2013 01:42 Go to previous message
Lance is currently offline  Lance
Contributor
That's good to know. I'll buy a tablet when Android is supported by U++ Smile
Previous Topic: Qtf->Pdf simplified
Next Topic: Happy New Year 2013
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 12:08:28 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01853 seconds