FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » menace WS.Reputation.1 from symantec/norton
menace WS.Reputation.1 from symantec/norton [message #38906] Sun, 27 January 2013 02:20 Go to next message
navi is currently offline  navi
Experienced Member
Many of you might be aware of this issue since 2010 but I just came across this problem now. symantec/norton AntiVirus/Internet Security products has turned into an absolute menace. Basically any programed compiled in executable binary (exe) without a Valid Certificate or an entry in symantec whitelist gets deleted as soon as downloaded into client machine with the this message. Just google "WS.Reputation.1" and see how many independent software developers getting harassed due to this. Hate to say but I myself just became a victim when I am having to explain to my clients and user why my application is being convicted and deleted immediately on download due to "WS.Reputation.1". Apparently now we developers have to raise a dispute application with symantec for every app that it happens to! Or have to raise a whitelist application with symantec before releasing the app. Not to mansion the nightmare for the nightly builds. apprently even the big names like Mozilla org was not spared. So far doesn't look like there is any solution to this problem other then getting a Certificate or getting apps white listed with norton. Anyone knows any other solution or ways to avoid this issue?

The symantec dispute form list the follwing as culprit:
Norton Internet Security or Norton AntiVirus (later than 2012)
Norton Internet Security 2012 or Norton AntiVirus 2012
Norton Internet Security 2011 or Norton AntiVirus 2011
Norton 360 (later than 6.0)
Norton 360 v6.0
Norton 360 v5.0

index.php?t=getfile&id=4037&private=0

• Attachment: original.JPG
    (Size: 55.78KB, Downloaded 982 times)
Re: menace WS.Reputation.1 from symantec/norton [message #38907 is a reply to message #38906] Sun, 27 January 2013 03:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lectus is currently offline  lectus
Tell clients to not use Norton.

Sorry... I have no better solution. lol
Re: menace WS.Reputation.1 from symantec/norton [message #38915 is a reply to message #38906] Sun, 27 January 2013 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

What about compiling couple billions helloworld-like apps and DDoS the dispute and whitelist application forms? Very Happy

But seriously, this kind of behavior from antivirus company is really highly unprofessional. As lectus said, I'd advise the users to try checking the files with other antivirus programs. Once they see that Norton has high false positives rate, perhaps they'll believe that there is nothing dangerous about your particular app.

Best regards,
Honza
Re: menace WS.Reputation.1 from symantec/norton [message #38916 is a reply to message #38906] Sun, 27 January 2013 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Yes, but many of the times the developers can't dictate what tools or software clients/users might use in their computer, rather the software developers are dictated by clients about what tools they can use to develop their software. Not to mantion all the new branded PC and laptops that comes with pre-loaded win7/8 and stupid norton security software. so, at the end of the day, amount of prople are automatically bared from even testing your newly compiled HelloWorld app is rather large and growing!

p.s: users cant even download and keep the app in pc to try to scan it with other AV. norton deletes the file first. then prompt the message. no yes/no question or anything. stright delete. also try disabling norton, see how many clicks and prompts you have to go through. Its not even easy for average user to disable norton.

regards
navi.

[Updated on: Sun, 27 January 2013 13:53]

Report message to a moderator

Re: menace WS.Reputation.1 from symantec/norton [message #38939 is a reply to message #38916] Mon, 28 January 2013 15:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mdelfede is currently offline  mdelfede
Ultimate Contributor
I stumbled on a similar issue with a new customer last year.
Then the message was something like this

"This application is used from less than 10 people over the world, so it may be a virus"

And it was impossible to download/install it.
The customer was a friend so I could explain him the problem, but I'm afraid that many potential customers didn't try the application scared because of the message.

I'm not a lawyer, but I guess that could be a reason to suit Symantec and it's useless antivirus.

Max
Re: menace WS.Reputation.1 from symantec/norton [message #38942 is a reply to message #38939] Mon, 28 January 2013 17:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lectus is currently offline  lectus
Most home users can use the free Avira or the free Microsoft Security Essentials, so why even bother paying for an AV that does that kind of thing?
Re: menace WS.Reputation.1 from symantec/norton [message #38943 is a reply to message #38942] Mon, 28 January 2013 17:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
I agree, but my app is not aimed at home users... and many find Norton AV preinstalled on notebooks, with other useless craps.
Re: menace WS.Reputation.1 from symantec/norton [message #38947 is a reply to message #38943] Mon, 28 January 2013 22:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nlneilson is currently offline  nlneilson
Contributor
M$ does a similar gimmick with an approved list to get money.

An app is not deleted but there is a pop-up that asks if a user wants to run it.

For Symantic/Norton to delete an app seems strange.
About all that can be done is let a client know what the problem is.

From the first post it shows an option:
Restore this file

What happens there?
Re: menace WS.Reputation.1 from symantec/norton [message #38948 is a reply to message #38947] Mon, 28 January 2013 22:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
nlneilson wrote on Mon, 28 January 2013 22:06

M$ does
Restore this file

What happens there?

Home user can click that button and restore the file after some more warning from norton that they are on their own. unfortunately for corporate users who's norton av is admin by a separate MIS/IT department do not have that option.

regards
navi
Re: menace WS.Reputation.1 from symantec/norton [message #38949 is a reply to message #38947] Mon, 28 January 2013 23:45 Go to previous message
Ultimate Contributor
nlneilson wrote on Mon, 28 January 2013 22:06

M$ does a similar gimmick with an approved list to get money.

An app is not deleted but there is a pop-up that asks if a user wants to run it.

For Symantic/Norton to delete an app seems strange.
About all that can be done is let a client know what the problem is.

Restore this file

What happens there?

It happens that customers are scared about getting a virus on a work pc and, if they still don't know yuur app and are downloading a demo/limited trial of it, usually drop the app and look for something else.

It's quite different of M$ asking "do you want this app to access system?" then tell "this app is not known in all world, it's probably a malware" which is, in other words, what they're telling your customer.

I'd like to see what would symantech's attorneys do if some other firm says "norton utilities are completely useless and probably harmful if installed", which is, btw, the very crude thruth.

Stay away from such software crap like NAV is one of the reasons I migrated to Linux some years ago, but I see that crap is following me anyways.

Max

[Updated on: Mon, 28 January 2013 23:48]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: webcam and motion detection
Next Topic: Canonical search application developer for standard application! (for ubuntu-phone)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 13:31:08 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01358 seconds