FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » U++ Core » the container type UPP::Link
the container type UPP::Link [message #39789] Sun, 28 April 2013 13:10 Go to next message
piotr5 is currently offline  piotr5
Experienced Member
strange container, really. it stores N links to T where T is expected to be derived from Link. you could imagine it as N double-linked lists with each list-element being associated to a subset of those lists, and with each of those lists being connected back into a full loop. Interestingly only the 1st list gets destructed in the destructor of LinkOwner, guess this is the list that must contain all members. useful it is to represent different permutations of the same data. in uppsrc it is used only once, /home/p/upp/uppsrc/CtrlCore/CtrlTimer.cpp(22) for storing TimeEvent , and there N is set to 1 -- guess in future std::list could be used instead.

there actually is a bug in its implementation: it should be
template <class T, int N = 1>
class LinkOwner : public T {
public:
	~LinkOwner()                         { T::DeleteList(); }
};
otherwise compiling
template<typename T, int N=1>
class LinkElement : public Link<LinkElement<T,N>,N>
{
	public:
	T val;
};
LinkOwner<LinkElement<int,2> > delme;
(note that N is 2 here, with N=1 it would compile OK) will result in
/home/p/upp/uppsrc/Core/Other.h: In instantiation of ‘void Upp::Link<T, N>::Unlink(int) [with T = LinkElement<int, 2>; int N = 1]’:
/home/p/upp/uppsrc/Core/Other.h:275:76:   required from ‘void Upp::Link<T, N>::UnlinkAll() [with T = LinkElement<int, 2>; int N = 1]’
/home/p/upp/uppsrc/Core/Other.h:288:51:   required from ‘Upp::Link<T, N>::~Link() [with T = LinkElement<int, 2>; int N = 1]’
/home/p/upp/uppsrc/Core/Other.h:305:7:   required from here
/home/p/upp/uppsrc/Core/Other.h:258:16: error: ‘LinkElement<int, 2>* Upp::Link<LinkElement<int, 2>, 2>::link_prev [2]’ is protected
  T *link_prev[N];
                ^
/home/p/upp/uppsrc/Core/Other.h:273:64: error: within this context
  void Unlink(int i = 0)               { link_next[i]->link_prev[i] = link_prev[i]; link_prev[i]->link_next[i] = link_next[i];
                                                                ^
/home/p/upp/uppsrc/Core/Other.h:259:16: error: ‘LinkElement<int, 2>* Upp::Link<LinkElement<int, 2>, 2>::link_next [2]’ is protected
  T *link_next[N];
                ^
/home/p/upp/uppsrc/Core/Other.h:273:107: error: within this context
  void Unlink(int i = 0)               { link_next[i]->link_prev[i] = link_prev[i]; link_prev[i]->link_next[i] = link_next[i];
guess I must use a different LinkOwner then...
Edit: in case it wasn't clear, Link is connected in full circle back to itself, so iterating will eventually return to where you started...

[Updated on: Mon, 29 April 2013 00:43]

Report message to a moderator

Re: the container type UPP::Link [message #39904 is a reply to message #39789] Fri, 10 May 2013 08:21 Go to previous message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
piotr5 wrote on Sun, 28 April 2013 07:10

strange container, really. it stores N links to T where T is expected to be derived from Link. you could imagine it as N double-linked lists with each list-element being associated to a subset of those lists, and with each of those lists being connected back into a full loop. Interestingly only the 1st list gets destructed in the destructor of LinkOwner, guess this is the list that must contain all members. useful it is to represent different permutations of the same data. in uppsrc it is used only once, /home/p/upp/uppsrc/CtrlCore/CtrlTimer.cpp(22) for storing TimeEvent , and there N is set to 1 -- guess in future std::list could be used instead.

there actually is a bug in its implementation: it should be
template <class T, int N = 1>
class LinkOwner : public T {
public:
	~LinkOwner()                         { T::DeleteList(); }
};
otherwise compiling
template<typename T, int N=1>
class LinkElement : public Link<LinkElement<T,N>,N>
{
	public:
	T val;
};
LinkOwner<LinkElement<int,2> > delme;
(note that N is 2 here, with N=1 it would compile OK) will result in[code]

template <class T>
class LinkElement : public Link<LinkElement<T>, 2> {
public:
	T val;
};

LinkOwner< LinkElement<int>, 2 > delme;

is intended use and it works with current LinkOwner (and does not with proposed patch).

Other than that, I guess I can agree that Link is not the most important class in U++... Original idea was to simplify creation of multilinked lists, but the need for them diminished over time.

Mirek
Previous Topic: How to read the file using XMLize ???
Next Topic: glutBitmapCharacter undefined reference.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 13:34:51 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02293 seconds