Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » LineEdit, EditFields, DocEdit » Lost focus in edit fields
Lost focus in edit fields [message #22603] Thu, 30 July 2009 10:17 Go to next message
Zbych is currently offline  Zbych
Hi,

Is there a way to trigger a callback when edit filed loses its focus? Right now I added a callback (WhenLostFocus) to EditField::LostFocus, but maybe there is already some other method to do it?
Re: Lost focus in edit fields [message #22611 is a reply to message #22603] Sat, 01 August 2009 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
ChildLostFocus can be used sometimes... (but you have to store the pointer in ChildGotFocus).

Mirek
Re: Lost focus in edit fields [message #22615 is a reply to message #22611] Sat, 01 August 2009 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Didier is currently offline  Didier
Contributor
HI,

Quote:

is already some other method to do it

I had the same problem some time ago and did something this:

template < class T >
class EnhancedEditField : public T
{
	public:
		typedef T BaseClass;
		EnhancedEditField() {};
		virtual ~EnhancedEditField() {};

Callback whenFocusLost;

virtual void LostFocus()
		{
			T::LostFocus();
			whenFocusLost();
		}
};

typedef EnhancedEditField<EditString> EnhancedEditString;
typedef EnhancedEditField<EditInt> EnhancedEditInt;
typedef EnhancedEditField<EditDouble> EnhancedEditDouble;

It adds a callback to the type <T> and does what you want while avoiding modifying upp src.

Since nobody asked for this feature before maybe our way of doing things is a little clumsy ? ? ?

Re: Lost focus in edit fields [message #22618 is a reply to message #22615] Sat, 01 August 2009 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
It is fine. I believe there is similar WithLostFocus template in the "extended universe". Note that the issue is not EditField related..

Mirek
Re: Lost focus in edit fields [message #22620 is a reply to message #22615] Sat, 01 August 2009 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Zbych is currently offline  Zbych
Didier wrote on Sat, 01 August 2009 10:43

It adds a callback to the type <T> and does what you want while avoiding modifying upp src.

I don't really mind modyfing upp src Smile, esspecially when it is just two lines (one in *.cpp and one in *.h):
EditField.cpp :

void EditField::LostFocus()
{
	if(autoformat && IsEditable() && !IsNull(text)) {
		Value v = convert->Scan(text);
		if(!v.IsError()) {
			const Convert * cv = inactive_convert ? inactive_convert : convert;
			WString s = cv->Format(v);
			if(s != text) text = s;
		}
	}
	if(!keep_selection) {
		anchor = -1;
		cursor = sc = 0;
		WhenLostFocus();//<--here
	}
	Refresh();
	SyncEdge();
}

[Updated on: Sat, 01 August 2009 11:42]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Lost focus in edit fields [message #22622 is a reply to message #22620] Sat, 01 August 2009 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor
I can't find the 'WithLostFocus' template.

What is the "extended universe" ???

Re: Lost focus in edit fields [message #22625 is a reply to message #22620] Sat, 01 August 2009 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Zbych wrote on Sat, 01 August 2009 05:41

Didier wrote on Sat, 01 August 2009 10:43

I don't really mind modyfing upp src Smile, esspecially when it is just two lines (one in *.cpp and one in *.h):

That is really bad idea. Over long time, you will not be able to keep your U++ sources merged..

Mirek
Re: Lost focus in edit fields [message #22626 is a reply to message #22622] Sat, 01 August 2009 14:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Didier wrote on Sat, 01 August 2009 06:25

I can't find the 'WithLostFocus' template.

What is the "extended universe" ???

Well, what is in upp.src is a selection of sources usually originated in development of some "real" apps.

I know that WithLostFocus exists in some of Tom's sources, which are not part of uppsrc now (yet?).
Re: Lost focus in edit fields [message #22629 is a reply to message #22626] Sat, 01 August 2009 16:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor
Hi Milek,

Maybe this 'WithLostFocus' template could be put int 'CtrlUtil.h'

Re: Lost focus in edit fields [message #27676 is a reply to message #22603] Thu, 29 July 2010 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jeremy_c is currently offline  jeremy_c
Experienced Member
What's the status of WithLostFocus? I also want to trigger a few actions when a widget (EditField in my case) looses focus.

Jeremy
Re: Lost focus in edit fields [message #27677 is a reply to message #27676] Thu, 29 July 2010 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrjt is currently offline  mrjt
Contributor
Just use the one from this thread in your own code, though it doesn't need as much code as above:
template <class T>
struct WithLostFocus : public T {
		Callback WhenLostFocus;

virtual void LostFocus() {
			WhenFocusLost();
		}
};

[Updated on: Thu, 29 July 2010 12:58]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Lost focus in edit fields [message #27683 is a reply to message #27677] Thu, 29 July 2010 14:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jeremy_c is currently offline  jeremy_c
Experienced Member
Thanks. A slight typo fix though:

template <class T>
struct WithLostFocus : public T {
		Callback WhenLostFocus;

virtual void LostFocus() {
			WhenLostFocus();
		}
};

i.e. WhenFocusLost() changed to WhenLostFocus();

Jeremy
Re: Lost focus in edit fields [message #45067 is a reply to message #22615] Thu, 27 August 2015 09:05 Go to previous message
Giorgio is currently offline  Giorgio
Experienced Member
Hi there,
my very first message so excuse the dumb question.

I am a little noob and not really experienced with C++ programming. I am trying to do the same as in this thread: add an action when focus is lost on an EditString field. I think that your solution is what I am looking for, but I do not know how to make it work. I could really use an example i.e. where to put your code and how to "connect" the lost focus event with my procedure.

Thanks in Advance.
Giorgio
Previous Topic: How to add a currency symbol to an EditDoubleSpin?
Next Topic: What do you think about this approach to making CodeEditor more user extendable?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:53:27 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01679 seconds