Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » U++ community news and announcements » ide: Optimal mode removed
ide: Optimal mode removed [message #46534] Sat, 21 May 2016 15:09 Go to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
As .exe size reduction by using Optimal mode became irrelevant over years, I have removed Optimal mode (and Size / Speed) from theide.

It is now either Debug or Release and options for release are by default set to speed optimization.
Re: ide: Optimal mode removed [message #46536 is a reply to message #46534] Sat, 21 May 2016 15:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Klugier is currently offline  Klugier
Senior Contributor
Hello Mirek,

It should also be done for umk... So all options in command line are redundant.

Sincerely,
Klugier

U++ - one framework to rule them all.

[Updated on: Sat, 21 May 2016 16:44]

Report message to a moderator

Re: ide: Optimal mode removed [message #46541 is a reply to message #46534] Sun, 22 May 2016 05:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nlneilson is currently offline  nlneilson
Contributor
mirek wrote on Sat, 21 May 2016 06:09
As .exe size reduction by using Optimal mode became irrelevant over years, I have removed Optimal mode (and Size / Speed) from theide.

It is now either Debug or Release and options for release are by default set to speed optimization.

Debug or Release seems like a good change.

When will the nightly builds include this change?
edit: upp 9861 has the change

[Updated on: Sun, 22 May 2016 11:18]

Re: ide: Optimal mode removed [message #46576 is a reply to message #46534] Fri, 03 June 2016 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novo is currently offline  Novo
Ultimate Contributor
mirek wrote on Sat, 21 May 2016 09:09

Wouldn't it be better to allow user to define his/her own modes/configurations? Inheritance would also be a great option.
I personally usually have at least one extra-mode: Profiling (Release + debug information).

TIA

Regards,
Novo

[Updated on: Fri, 03 June 2016 14:30]

Re: ide: Optimal mode removed [message #46577 is a reply to message #46576] Fri, 03 June 2016 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
Quote:
Profiling (Release + debug information)
I did not know this was possible.

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: ide: Optimal mode removed [message #46580 is a reply to message #46576] Fri, 03 June 2016 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Novo wrote on Fri, 03 June 2016 01:51

Wouldn't it be better to allow user to define his/her own modes/configurations? Inheritance would be also a great option.
I personally usually have at least one extra-mode: Profiling (Release + debug information).

TIA

Uhm, we have just removed "optimal/speed/size" as too complicated Smile

Anyway, release+debug can be setup in Output mode. I do so quite regulary. Is not that enough?

Mirek
Re: ide: Optimal mode removed [message #46581 is a reply to message #46577] Fri, 03 June 2016 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
koldo wrote on Fri, 03 June 2016 08:27
Quote:
Profiling (Release + debug information)
I did not know this was possible.

It is invaluable when optimizing the code..
Re: ide: Optimal mode removed [message #46586 is a reply to message #46580] Fri, 03 June 2016 21:07 Go to previous message
Novo is currently offline  Novo
Ultimate Contributor
mirek wrote on Fri, 03 June 2016 03:03
Novo wrote on Fri, 03 June 2016 01:51

Wouldn't it be better to allow user to define his/her own modes/configurations? Inheritance would be also a great option.

TIA

Uhm, we have just removed "optimal/speed/size" as too complicated Smile

Anyway, release+debug can be setup in Output mode. I do so quite regulary. Is not that enough?

Mirek

Well, profiling often requires -fno-omit-frame-pointer (as in case of "prof" on Linux).
Optimal was just confusing because there was impossible to set command line arguments in case of Optimal.
In general, the problem is more complicated than just multiple configurations and inheritance, but having multiple user-defined configuration would make life much more easier, and being able to inherit from another configuration would be just amazing. Smile

Regards.

Regards,
Novo
Previous Topic: New Core
Next Topic: C++11 library features finished
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 06:55:59 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01675 seconds